Welcome Guest
You last visited July 24, 2017, 9:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

trashed tickets

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

a clerk says your ticket is a loser,you find later its a winner,who should get winnings?

you the player [ 48 ]  [77.42%]
the clerk [ 5 ]  [8.06%]
not sure [ 9 ]  [14.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8514 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2005, 10:14 pm - IP Logged
Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on March 12, 2005

its simple......keep your tickets near you,check them,if its a winner put it in a safe place if its a loser throw it in the trash,thanks.......

if its a loser save them for tax time. You can use them if you won a sizable amount of money for a deduction.
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11350 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2005, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

thanks four4me i'll look into that if it helps me save....still learning the tax stuff.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
      USA
      United States
      Member #8242
      October 29, 2004
      1133 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2005, 2:04 am - IP Logged

You should check with your state. In NY, I was told the non-winning tickets must have been purchased in the same tax year as your win.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1337 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2005, 8:32 am - IP Logged

Wouldn't really happen to me since I am a registered player, but generally I think I am the owner of the ticket(s).

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8514 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2005, 9:26 am - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on March 14, 2005

You should check with your state. In NY, I was told the non-winning tickets must have been purchased in the same tax year as your win.

Correct you have to check with the state you live in laws. I was told two different things. One source said that if you won any amount that they taxed you for say for instance i won 2500 today. That i could redeem up to 2500 dollars worth of losing tickets i might aquire from yesterday to the end of the year.

Another source said that you should keep all your losing tickets from the first of the year.  He said if i won a taxable amount that he coud deduct all my loses up to the taxable amount regardless of wether i purchased them before or after the win. Since i was trying to recover a large amount of taxed dollars i wasen't going to argue the point with him.

non of this matters if you don't itemize your deductions.

I was real happy to get back like 80% of the money they took in taxes.

If someone was to ask me how i felt about them taking taxes from a win of over $600.00. I would have to say i dont like it one bit. I buy lottery tickets in the hope of winning. Every dollar i lose helps the state in some way if we win why should we have to pay the state more of our money. The state isn't giving anybody any breaks for losing tickets if they don't win therefor we shouldn't have to pay additional moneys because we won. 

Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1610
            June 3, 2003
            668 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2005, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I totally agree about signing all tickets early on. I've never had anyone else at the store check my tickets except when I cash them in after previously verifying them with the computer. I have a habit of never throwing away any old tickets.

About saving all the old tickets...  (they don't take up much space - much less than a shoebox) and besides, it's actually fun to occasionally go back and look over the non-winning tickets and study the past seeing what number sets were used and exactly where one has been on the lottery path.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
              USA
              United States
              Member #8242
              October 29, 2004
              1133 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2005, 3:47 pm - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by four4me on March 15, 2005

If someone was to ask me how i felt about them taking taxes from a win of over $600.00. I would have to say i dont like it one bit. I buy lottery tickets in the hope of winning. Every dollar i lose helps the state in some way if we win why should we have to pay the state more of our money. The state isn't giving anybody any breaks for losing tickets if they don't win therefor we shouldn't have to pay additional moneys because we won. 

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11350 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2005, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

i lost on powerball the other night,they call it a dollar and a dream,i called it a dollar and a nightmare.......

United States
                  Member #11761
                  February 23, 2005
                  174 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged
                  It would be nice to be able to save our tickets and get a second chance at winning something else. Here are a few suggestions:

• tax deduction

• Wipe out traffic tickets

• Honorary person of the week

• free song download

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    20097 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2005, 4:29 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on March 15, 2005

i lost on powerball the other night,they call it a dollar and a dream,i called it a dollar and a nightmare.......

It was a dollar and a dream up to when you saw the results of the drawing, buy your ticket earlier and the dream will last longer then maybe you'll think it was worth a dollar.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2005, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

IF you play and don't care enough to check the draw results yourself, then if you are dumb enough to leave the ticket with the clerk, telling him/her to throw it away......you end up getting what you deserve. Nothing !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11350 Posts
                        Posted: March 19, 2005, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

i walked by a cigarette ashtray outside the store and saw a scratch off sitting there and it was a 5 dollar winner,i guess some drunk threw it away thinking he lost....my gain!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                          Member #12618
                          March 18, 2005
                          2060 Posts
                          Posted: March 19, 2005, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand why more people don't check their tickets themselves. It really isn't that hard and unless you've bought a whole bunch of tickets it really doesn't take that much time out of your life. I mean it could mean the difference between winning tons of money and not being hassled or losing it and having to fight a long battle in court (costing you all the money or half). Doesn't seem worth it. Just check your own damn tickets. lol.

By the way I'm new.

Dance like no one is watching.

USA
                            United States
                            Member #8242
                            October 29, 2004
                            1133 Posts
                            Posted: March 19, 2005, 9:16 pm - IP Logged
                            Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on March 19, 2005

i walked by a cigarette ashtray outside the store and saw a scratch off sitting there and it was a 5 dollar winner,i guess some drunk threw it away thinking he lost....my gain!

Cool, that'll pay for 5 new tickets of your game choice. Incredible the people who read it wrong.
                              Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                              Wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #1303
                              March 27, 2003
                              1508 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2005, 11:51 am - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by bellyache on March 19, 2005

I don't understand why more people don't check their tickets themselves. It really isn't that hard and unless you've bought a whole bunch of tickets it really doesn't take that much time out of your life. I mean it could mean the difference between winning tons of money and not being hassled or losing it and having to fight a long battle in court (costing you all the money or half). Doesn't seem worth it. Just check your own damn tickets. lol.

By the way I'm new.

Welcome !  Here in Wisconsin, they have added a machine at all retailers where you now need tocheck your tickets yourself. It's a scanner-type machine, small and it was put there exactly because too many players on the jackpot games were wasting too much of the retailer's time making the clerks check their tickets !  I used to get really p*ssed at all the people who would hold up the line waiting to checkout because they were too darned lazy to check to see if they had a winner. I'm real glad to see the state put these little machines in.....the clerks now refuse to check tickets (unless there's no one in line, then I've seen them check a ticket) for these people, and tell them to use the machine to check their own tickets.

Really, if you're so darned lazy that you can't follow your picks yourself, you don't deserve to tie up other people's time. If you want to buy 50 tickets, fine. Just don't expect someone else to have to waste their time standing in line because of your laziness.  I suspect that more states will follow suit with these ticket scanners. They are a really good idea IMHO.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.