Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

trashed tickets

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

a clerk says your ticket is a loser,you find later its a winner,who should get winnings?

you the player [ 48 ]  [77.42%]
the clerk [ 5 ]  [8.06%]
not sure [ 9 ]  [14.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2005, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

It pays to have a clear head when you buy tickets.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2005, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

has anyone ever washed a ticket in your jeans?

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2005, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I haven't.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
        Houston, TX
        United States
        Member #9841
        December 23, 2004
        236 Posts
        Posted: May 6, 2005, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

U know the sound the machine makes when it's a loser.

I check my tickets online...so I know if I won anything and how much I won.  That's just a big nightmare of mine.  I win the jackpot and go to a store to check it now knowing whether I won or not.  The clerk could tell me anything.  That's why if I ever check my tickets at a store I always get them back if they're not winners. 

I've never washed my tickets but I managed to wash my checkbook a couple of weeks ago.  If there's one thing I do keep up with it's my lottery tickets.  I know exactly where they are at all times.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2005, 9:30 am - IP Logged

Any ticket marked "annuity" is an automatic loser.

Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: May 14, 2005, 1:57 am - IP Logged

i've also thrown one in the trash and had to get it out.....

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: May 14, 2005, 11:11 am - IP Logged

Oh well...

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: June 11, 2005, 11:22 am - IP Logged

they should train the clerks better in recognizing winning tickets.

lottobrain's avatar - box
                  Smyrna, DE
                  United States
                  Member #10074
                  January 1, 2005
                  125 Posts
                  Posted: June 11, 2005, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

First, I always play my own numbers for all types of lottery.  For a lotto game with a big jackpot, I would find out the numbers from a very reliable source which in most states would mean being able to view the drawing on TV (but not in DE, no more televised drawings of any type, so I go to a retailer and ask for a report ticket for the particular lotto game and check my tickets). I usually know pretty quick when I see the numbers for a jackpot game, if I have winners, as I wheel in small number systems and know the win guarantees.  I never throw away any lottery tickets. I take them home and put them into a box until the end of the year. As others have posted, losers can be deducted from winners at the end of the year to offset taxes if one files by deductions. No good for a standard deduction filing which I normally do. But there could come a time during a year when that might change and having the tickets around could come in handy. I can always trash them when a new year begins.  I would never trust a store clerk. They could come up with all type of scans. For example, suppose he had several losing tickets of various amounts laying by his machine and you weren't able to see them. When you give him a $5 dollar PB ticket, he picks up his loser, scans it, and you hear that it is not a winner. He hands you back his loser and you don't pay any attention, but toss it in the trash can. After you leave, he scans your ticket worth a $100 or $5,000....keeps it and keeps his mouth shut.  Waits for a couple of months before claiming if it requires going to the state lottery office,  and tells no one he won. That would work good in DE since big winners can remain anonymous.  Most people that do not care enough to check their own tickets will not think anymore about it when told their ticket is a loser.  If you did catch him because you knew your numbers, he could always lie and say he made a mistake, scan your ticket which more than likely is a loser anyway considering the odds of PB, and give it to you. And if it were a winner, probably only the PB of PB and 1 white ball.  And to be a really smart clerk, he could tell by looking at the ticket whether it  was a quick pick by machine or numbers the player picked and not mess with it. Here though, you would think a player using enough thought to pick their own numbers would also check their own tickets. Just some thoughts about the topic.

MMGuy's avatar - waveform
                    Houston, Tx
                    United States
                    Member #13043
                    March 28, 2005
                    119 Posts
                    Posted: June 11, 2005, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

I always check my numbers on the internet.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: June 12, 2005, 12:49 am - IP Logged
                      Everything you all said is cool i mean we might do that check them thourally but the general public ususlly dosent. I was in the royal farm store yesterday and they have a scratch off vending machine next to the coffee dispencer. in the trash can where they toss out old coffee grinds and stuff there were hundreds of scratch off tickets thrown out. sometimes if is not to dirty and i humble myself and dig them out, i have found many tickets worth anywhere from a freebee to 20 bucks. I figure it's a matter of time and i might find one worth big bucks. many of those tickets wern't completly rubbed off a lot of them had bonus areas not rubbed off. 

I work in lotto store and we see lots of winning scratch offs in the trash. We cash in on those.

When there is a new ticket where the people do not know the rules.. there are more winning tickets to be found.

I try to explain to new players how to play and tell them not to throw them away until they are checked.

I have found winning tickets on the table where I knew who was scratching, and called them to let them know.. #1.. they left a mess..  #2.. they left winning ticket..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: June 12, 2005, 12:54 am - IP Logged

they should train the clerks better in recognizing winning tickets.

if it is a six # game. It is hard to recognize a winning ticket just by looking.. I drop them all in the machine. The screen on both sides will tell if it is a winning ticket or not..

As for scratch offs, I know whether they are winners are not, because I learn the new games as they come in...

Down the road where I  work, there is a Chevron. My son - in - law went to work there.  He witnessed (by video) a clerk there telling a customer his ticket was not a winner.  IT was PB.. and then the next day she took off to collect 5 grand.  Well the woman's husband came in complaining and my s-i-l was the person who had to watch the film. After the lady had left that night, the clerk got the ticket from the trash and put it in her purse. Needless to say, she was fired when she returned from Nashville with her 5 grand. The ticket was not signed so they could not recover the money.  They would have had to prove that the ticket she pulled from the trash was the one she cashed in on..

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: June 12, 2005, 1:00 am - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by bellyache on March 19, 2005

I don't understand why more people don't check their tickets themselves. It really isn't that hard and unless you've bought a whole bunch of tickets it really doesn't take that much time out of your life. I mean it could mean the difference between winning tons of money and not being hassled or losing it and having to fight a long battle in court (costing you all the money or half). Doesn't seem worth it. Just check your own damn tickets. lol.

By the way I'm new.

Welcome !  Here in Wisconsin, they have added a machine at all retailers where you now need tocheck your tickets yourself. It's a scanner-type machine, small and it was put there exactly because too many players on the jackpot games were wasting too much of the retailer's time making the clerks check their tickets !  I used to get really p*ssed at all the people who would hold up the line waiting to checkout because they were too darned lazy to check to see if they had a winner. I'm real glad to see the state put these little machines in.....the clerks now refuse to check tickets (unless there's no one in line, then I've seen them check a ticket) for these people, and tell them to use the machine to check their own tickets.

Really, if you're so darned lazy that you can't follow your picks yourself, you don't deserve to tie up other people's time. If you want to buy 50 tickets, fine. Just don't expect someone else to have to waste their time standing in line because of your laziness.  I suspect that more states will follow suit with these ticket scanners. They are a really good idea IMHO.

I would love to have one of those machines where people could check their own tickets..

slackjack's avatar - onscale
                            North Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #16799
                            June 5, 2005
                            26 Posts
                            Posted: June 12, 2005, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Speaking of trashed tickets, according to the IRS you can deduct your lottery ticket purchases up to your winnings. Theirs gold in those trashed tickets.

Banana

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: June 15, 2005, 11:27 am - IP Logged

I heard Mass players cannot deduct against state taxes.