Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Win a jackpot...continue to work??

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 12 years ago by AIG planner.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
Member #9517
December 10, 2004
1272 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2005, 4:14 pm - IP Logged
Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on March 2, 2005

For those who would continue in their present jobs: I am not a millionaire, but I am sure all the abuse, slights and shaftings you've had to suffer at the office will become a little more unacceptable, and having a job that monopolizes 9-10 hours a day 5 days a week will also become unacceptable.  Unless you are a totally unimaginative slug, you might see that it's a big world out there and decide to see it and experience new things.

How about quitting your job, taking a year to do things you never had the time or money for before, and if that's not working out, getting a new job?

I could easily afford to take a year off from work to discover the world, but dventually I would go back to my work.
    ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
    Philadelphia, PA
    United States
    Member #11436
    February 13, 2005
    176 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2005, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

tg636....great points.

I dont think most people realize how much there is to see in this world.  It would take a million lifetimes to see it all.  so the people who do win large jackpots owe it to the rest of us to get out there and get started.

Super8's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Orlando
      United States
      Member #11094
      February 4, 2005
      338 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2005, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I would stop working.

Cause there are still a lot of things I would like to see and do.  You think about those things when you get into your fifties.

There's a lot of freinds and family I would like to help.

It would be nice to play more straight tickets and no more st/bx bets.

Super8

lazyjim's avatar - redhead
        White Mountains AZ
        United States
        Member #11140
        February 6, 2005
        114 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Blackie, you're very fortunate to have a job that you love.  And I think that is the dividing factor in peoples' decisions of whether to keep working after a big win.

Some of us (me included) have had jobs we could have liked had it not been for the tyrants we worked for, Im sure, which heavily influences our decision on that.

I'd bet that most of these would opt to work again if it were a business of their own where they were the boss.   And a big win could make that possible.

I don't include myself in that number as I've been retired for 4 1/2 years and love it (especially when seeing the snow outside at 5am and knowing I don't have to go out and work in it)  but I have entertained the notion from time to time. 

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
          Norfolk , Va
          United States
          Member #4541
          May 2, 2004
          25101 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2005, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Her is a copy of something I found sometime ago about winning the lottery. Dont know where I found it or who wrote it. Some of it is quite funny,

Don't Win The Lottery!

Don't win the lottery! The lottery is not a path to happiness. In fact the lottery presents one of the greatest challenges to happiness. The lottery path leads to a loss of friends, a loss of loved ones, unhappiness, misery, paranoia, loneliness, and distrust.

Friends

Kiss your friends good-bye forever. All of them. Those whose names you actually know and those illusory ones who just appeared from behind the water cooler. No matter, they will all have the expectant hand out.

Note that the amount you actually decide to give them will make no difference. It will never be enough. Plus there will always be the suspicion you gave more to Helen Hotrocks. So, don't give anything to an^of them. You will still have the same number of friends (none) but at least your money will still be intact.

You will now have a new lifelong relationship with all those previous friends. They will be called your enemies.

New friends? Don't even start to go there. There will always be a fresh supply of new friends of course. That is as long as the loot lasts. But you will never, ever know again if it is you or your money. In the end you will reject them all and increase the loneliness and despair in your life.

Relatives

Kiss all your favorite relatives good-bye. Also all of your non favorite relatives. And don't forget the ones who just appeared out of the bull rushes and you have no idea who they are. They will remember you of course.

How could you ever forget them? Like the time when Uncle Paltry helped you with your algebra, Cousin Corpulent saved your life from a raging bull, Aunt Dismal changed your diaper, Brother-In-Law Portly gave you your first job, and your Mother's Sister's Aunt Loquacious introduced you to your third wife.

No matter how ambiguous the relationship, they will all have the expectant hand out. Note that the amount you actually decide to give them will make no difference. It will never be enough. There will always be the suspicion you gave more to your mother's side or to Cousin Osmosis or somebody else. So, don't give anything to any of them. You will still have the same number of infuriated relatives (all of them) but at least your money will still be intact. At least for a little while.

And how about the little wife? Does she agree on where to spend 40 million dollars? Probably not! By the way is she a partner making this a partnership for legal and tax purposes? How about the kids are they partners too? Who knows? It's time to get a lawyer and let him share in the loot for some good advise (hopefully).

Cllt

Okay, so much for the easy stuff, now comes the really hard stuff. LiKe rlbw you going to hold on to the money now that you have got it? Prepare to be surrounded by every idiotic, get rich quick scheme from capturing and exhibiting Big Foot to growing winter wheat in the Antarctic. These shysters will never understand that you don't need to get rich; you are already rich. It is funding their implausible schemes that will make you unrich.

Paranoia

Don't forget to take out a prodigious liability insurance policy and get back with your lawyer. Insurance policy? Lawyer, again? What for? To defend you from the people that are about to sue you. Sue? What for? For anything that, a percentage of the loot, lawyer can come up with. Someone hit your car, you had a harsh word for the check out girl, and your kid had a fight. Also you're going to need an accountant to keep track of all the money your lawyer is going to steal from you.

Did I mention kids? Get back in touch with your insurance guy; you're going to need a really expensive policy this time. Kidnap insurance is about to cost you a bundle. That will include your kids, wife, grand kids, and any relative that a kidnaper might think you would ransom out. Also, you'll have to play by the insurance wienies rules. An immediate call to the police and no ransom payment until your insurance agent gives the word. It's their money after all.

Misery

So, you are going back to work and show the world that becoming a millionaire didn't change you. You're still a good old boy just like before. Wrong. No matter that your keeping the job that some unemployed person desperately needs, nothing will ever be the same at work again. Remember how both the frustration and fun contributed to your sense of accomplishment before. Remember how this was your life's work and joy in living. No more, it will never be the same when both you and your boss are always aware that you could walk off tomorrow when things don't go your way.

Besides you are now a target for a liability suit from every fellow worker, customer and supplier. No normal give and take conversations will ever be the same. The lawsuit shadow will be over everything you do or say. Soon you will realize are really a big fish out of water. If you don't go quietly your boss will surely send you on your way. Your life work unrealized and unrealizable. Miserable, but it comes with the money.

Privacy? Did you say privacy? Forget it. All the privacy you will ever see is when your bodyguard is able to fight back all the schemers, relatives, deal makers, celebrity touches, paper servers, and shyster lawyers wanting to sue you.

Unhappiness

Okay so far that's an insurance agent, a lawyer, an accountant, and a bodyguard. So, is there anyone else. Oh yes, the most important one of all, a psychiatrist to get

JiarV on ctraicrnt

Public Service Announcement

So far, I have painted you a rather bleak picture of life after the lottery. However do not despair, I can provide you a way out. As a public service and one time good deal, I will help you. So that you may be restored to your normal life, I will take (at no charge) all of your lottery winnings. Please E-mail me at once so that I can send you my account number for the immediate deposit of the money. (Heh, heh just kidding of course.)

So, what do you think? Just click to send me an E-mail.

HOME BASKETBALL CRAPS WINNING STREAKS Copyright 2001 by C. D. Gragg, All rights reserved, Legal Notice

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Norfolk , Va
            United States
            Member #4541
            May 2, 2004
            25101 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2005, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Wow , sorry that is so big,

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

lazyjim's avatar - redhead
              White Mountains AZ
              United States
              Member #11140
              February 6, 2005
              114 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2005, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Funny story Blackie.  I thought it was being written by a big winner til I got to the end.  I hope that not too much of it is true though, just in case.  I think I'd take a pass on winning if half that stuff would come to pass.  I guess some peoples' desire for anonymity has merit after all. 

Norfolk , Va
                United States
                Member #4541
                May 2, 2004
                25101 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2005, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Yeah Lazyjim, I dont recall where I found that but it was a few years ago. Was going through a file cabinet recently to get rid old bills etc and ran across it. Sound like what would happen though. Relatives , newfound friends , lawyers, and all the scammers in the world contacting you.

Good luck,

Blackie.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Philadelphia, PA
                  United States
                  Member #11436
                  February 13, 2005
                  176 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2005, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Some of those things may or may not happen if you win the lottery.  I'll take my chances that it wont.  If that were the case every professional athelete, movie star, and popular musician would be miserable. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8364 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2005, 10:53 am - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by ineed9million on March 3, 2005

Some of those things may or may not happen if you win the lottery.  I'll take my chances that it wont.  If that were the case every professional athelete, movie star, and popular musician would be miserable. 

Many of them are miserable they have no live outside of their profession. Can't move about the general public without being followed, harassed by camera freeks, and numerious other things we a civilians take for granted.
                      MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                      Member #9517
                      December 10, 2004
                      1272 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2005, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Did anyone notice JiarV on ctraicrnt in small letters in Blackies post "Don't Win The Lottery"?

It seems to be part of the sentence above. Get a psychiatrist to get... what?

Litebets27's avatar - power
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2005, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Incredible how much thought went into this article by someone who hadn't hit it big. I guess just reading about some of the big winners experiences should enlighten us all on what not to do to ensure or to maintain a happy and/or stable life. LOL to all.

litebets

Philadelphia, PA
                          United States
                          Member #11436
                          February 13, 2005
                          176 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2005, 11:14 am - IP Logged

four4me,

there is a big difference between celebrities and people who win the lottery.  Celebrities are indentifiable, people look up to them and admire them.  When was the last time you saw someone asking a lottery winner for his or her autograph?  You have probably rubbed shoulders with a multi-millionaire countless times in passing without even knowing it.  However, if you bumped into a celebrity at the airport or gas station you'd be sure to notice. 

Litebets27's avatar - power
                            Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #10465
                            January 14, 2005
                            6065 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2005, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Oh yeah, I'd continue to work. Wouldn't give the co-workers any hint of my new fortune.

Good luck

litebets

Norfolk , Va
                              United States
                              Member #4541
                              May 2, 2004
                              25101 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2005, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

MillionsWanted,

The sentence that didn't show up was cut off on this paper too but it was chopped in half. It says : a psychiatrist to get your head screwed back on straight.  Sorry it didn't come out clear.

Good Luck,

Blackie.