Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Someone hit mega - needs a fix

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 12 years ago by visiondude.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2005, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

FL is actually considering joining a multi-state game, but they say it may be a 3 year wait.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
    Member #4416
    April 22, 2004
    1075 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2005, 12:07 am - IP Logged

How can people who want jackpots in the $300 million range complain about small jackpots when they themselves play for the smaller jackpots? They're contributing to the very problem that they're complaining about. Maybe they should wait until the jackpots get big enough for them before they start contributing to the likelihood of the jackpots being hit.

Of course, they should also realize that there will only be a handfull of jackpot winners each year if they regularly grow to that super size. People who aren't so greedy would be perfectly happy to see far more winners of smaller jackpots each year.

In short, if you don't like smaller jackpots, don't play for them. If you do play for the smaller pots, then you don't have any right to complain.

aye'

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19830 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2005, 12:25 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by ayenowitall on March 3, 2005

How can people who want jackpots in the $300 million range complain about small jackpots......? 

aye'

People who are waiting for a lottery jackpots of $300M or more have never had a chance to play a lottery.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2005, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Not true. Powerball has broken 300 million twice. The big game once but never played that. I don't complain about jackpots if it matches the prize. Quinto's jackpot is now 4.8 million in cash equal to 1.86 times it's odds. For mega/powerball to match that odds ratio it would have to have a jackpot of 500 million. For a game where the odds are 135 million to one not even to hit it's odds as an annuity is a sign of a broken game. Something that they should have fixed long ago.

Looks like Megamillions is finally doing something about it. Powerball in the mean time is left making little money for it's participating states as it can't even hit half its odds as an average pot and it's sales fall.

Washington,Michigan
          United States
          Member #11416
          February 13, 2005
          598 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2005, 3:18 am - IP Logged

Jeb Bush should get Fla to play Mega Millions. I think my cousins would pay it and win. I don't know just a idea.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19830 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2005, 8:16 am - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on March 3, 2005

People who are waiting for a lottery jackpots of $300M or more have never had a chance to play a lottery. 

I stand corrected, they have had  three chances to play a lottery

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #4416
              April 22, 2004
              1075 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2005, 9:38 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on March 3, 2005

Not true. Powerball has broken 300 million twice. The big game once but never played that. I don't complain about jackpots if it matches the prize. Quinto's jackpot is now 4.8 million in cash equal to 1.86 times it's odds. For mega/powerball to match that odds ratio it would have to have a jackpot of 500 million. For a game where the odds are 135 million to one not even to hit it's odds as an annuity is a sign of a broken game. Something that they should have fixed long ago.
              Looks like Megamillions is finally doing something about it. Powerball in the mean time is left making little money for it's participating states as it can't even hit half its odds as an average pot and it's sales fall.

According to Washington's Lottery website:

1. The Quinto Cashpot odds are only 1:2,598,960.

2. The minimum Quinto Cashpot is only $300,000.

3. The average Quinto Cashpot payout is only $800,000. (0.307 times its odds) 

4. The Quinto Cashpot only grows by about $100,000 per draw.

5. Currently, the Quinto Cashpot hasn't been hit in nearly five months.

If you add up those very basic facts, it's pretty clear that for a such a small game, Quinto is hardly a benchmark of any performance standard for lottery games. It's simply a game that not many people are interested in playing.

aye' 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

well ok 2.6 million doesn't quite equal 2.59896 million.

Quinto breaks past the 2.6 million mark almost every year since 2000 or so.

For games with odds like powerball/mega not to even break their odds is not a good sign.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8363 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2005, 10:02 am - IP Logged

What difference does the size of the jackpot make. The idea is to try and match your numbers to theirs regardless of the size of the pot. Your chance of winning the pot dosent increase because it gets to 300 million. In fact if anything it decreases as more people are playing. This means that more numbers are being bet.

We might see lot of smaller size pots win because the popularity of the games are growing. More people are playing every week regardles of the amount of the pot. Many people are getting the idea that it just might be them that wins. The one dollar investment isn't gonna affect their overall bank account and isn't a burden for them to play.  

Changing the odds isn't gonna make it easier to win it's just gonna make the states bank accounts grow more, more people will suffer losses as a resut of a odds change as they will probably spend more trying to win an almost impossible dream come true.

United States
                    Member #4416
                    April 22, 2004
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2005, 10:55 am - IP Logged

For games with odds like powerball/mega not to even break their odds is not a good sign.

Why?

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2005, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

People shy away from Quinto because it's not a NUMBER game.

ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                        Philadelphia, PA
                        United States
                        Member #11436
                        February 13, 2005
                        176 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2005, 4:59 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by viperfour on March 2, 2005

Why fix what is not broken?

Exactly....seeing all these people win jackpots is a good thing.  If the jackpot rolls super high thats great, but seeing a winner every couple of weeks is even better. 
                          DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                          Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2005, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

actually, powerball has only broken $300 million once (Jack Whitaker), and the big game has broken $300 million twice ($363 million in 2000, and $325 million (I think) in 2002.).

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                            USA
                            United States
                            Member #8242
                            October 29, 2004
                            1133 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2005, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by bobby623 on March 2, 2005

I think 1 in 170,000,000 will probably hurt the game more than it will help, but then most lottery profits come from players who are basically ignorant when it comes to odds, etc. No doubt many will keep spending their money and attribute their losses to bad luck.

Again, personally, I think I could manage to live a pretty good life with just a couple million!!

Yea I'm REALLY beginning to decide not to play MM anymore. Who needs it? ... Wow I just farted while writing that lol.

Pooh Pooh on MM

United States
                              Member #11761
                              February 23, 2005
                              174 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2005, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

I would like 5/52 and 2/26

Just split the odds of the gold ball and have 2 of them.