Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quick Picks Generator limit

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Rick G.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
SamBuca's avatar - xstr
Carlisle, PA USA
United States
Member #12410
March 13, 2005
78 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2005, 2:28 pm - IP Logged
Quote: Originally posted by Rick G on March 7, 2005

The only better thing I've heard in RNG's is the rate of radioactive decay of Cesium(25?) because its decay happens at an erratic rate.. When you find a free site using that approach, let me know.

Linkage: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hotbits/generate.html

It's Cesium 137...that halflife is about 30 years and also emits beta particles. This particular site uses Krypton 85 which has a half life of about 10 years.

I've found the entropy from the ComScire atmospheric RNG to be better than the radioactive decay data from HotBits, but I also had a considerably smaller sample set from HotBits. Plus the atomospheric noise generator can return data MUCH faster than waiting for ejecta from decay (even faster if you don't bother to run it through bias checks).

:)
    Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2005, 2:29 pm - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by Rick G on March 7, 2005

Just a follow-up to this thread.  Random.org is not a commercial site.  It's free (there is no ad on the site)and atmospheric noise as a seed and algorithm for randomness is considered by many as better than a computer-generated seed and algorithm for "truer" randomness.

The only better thing I've heard in RNG's is the rate of radioactive decay of Cesium(25?) because its decay happens at an erratic rate..  When you find a free site using that approach, let me know.

The reason I mentioned it to Bertil was that you can set your own parameters for any x out of x game and get up to 10,000 results if you want.

Thanks.

The following site uses the decay of Cesium and is considered by virtually all the experts to be truly random.  It passes all the tests:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hotbits/

For my encryption program I download the random numbers in HEX and my program converts them to digital sequences. 

The use of noise is not random because it is biased with a 60 hz (50 hz in Europe) component.  For most purposes it works fine.  You always have to ask the question "How random does it have to be?".  In cryptography the question is "Who am I trying to keep from getting this information?". 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2005, 4:40 pm - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by Bertil on March 6, 2005

it would be instructive to be able to generate smaller lotto

games, such as 5/20, 5/15 and 5/10. The last one has only 252

combinations and its statistics are easy to establish and one could

then compare the results from small draws with the generator.

Bertil

What would be the advantages of such a sophisticated RNG for such small samples?

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2005, 6:56 am - IP Logged

numbers are fun........

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: May 1, 2005, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Thanks for passing on the fourmilab site.

C-Dude, judging from the results of your RNG test yesterday using random.org for your picks, I think I'll stick with them.  As you said, how much of 100% randomness does one need for picking lottery numbers.  For encryption purposes one might want to be closer to the 100% mark. 

In response to Bertil regarding random.org producing combos with repeat numbers, I just eliminate those sequences...which might actually contribute to the "randomness" of the number combos you are selecting.  You can generate up to 10,000 numbers at a pop.

I play one quick pick daily for our 5/39 game.  I use the sequence generator at random.org.  Then I use the first 5 numbers produced and play the five numbers in their sequence position.  For example if the first number is 3, I play the third number produced in the sequence; if the second number is 12, I play the 12th number in the sequence, etc.  It tends to produce "well-rounded" numbers and I don't know how much more random you can get without being anal about it.  But it sure beats the quick picks generated at the lottery terminals.  I get crappy numbers from them.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Poway CA (San Diego County)
            United States
            Member #3489
            January 25, 2004
            14120 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2005, 11:43 am - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by Rick G on May 1, 2005

Thanks for passing on the fourmilab site.

C-Dude, judging from the results of your RNG test yesterday using random.org for your picks, I think I'll stick with them.  As you said, how much of 100% randomness does one need for picking lottery numbers.  For encryption purposes one might want to be closer to the 100% mark. 

In response to Bertil regarding random.org producing combos with repeat numbers, I just eliminate those sequences...which might actually contribute to the "randomness" of the number combos you are selecting.  You can generate up to 10,000 numbers at a pop.

I have been using (for Pick 3) 101 as my lowest number and 510 as the highest.  Just use the numbers as they come out.  You will have duplicates as box numbers, but it will not produce duplicates for straights.  If you are eliminating box duplicates, that is good. 

I'm not going to give details, but watch my 30 picks for Fantasy 5 in California tonight!  I am playing those 30 tickets, so if I win on the Prediction Page I also have a winning ticket.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2005, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

C-Dude thanks for the tip on the 101 to 510 range.

Good luck in your state's P-5 tonight....you had three of five in IL last night.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).