Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions changing June 24 -official

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 12 years ago by tg636.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #972
December 30, 2002
465 Posts
Posted: April 15, 2005, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I am a Massachusetts Mega Millions season ticket holder. Today I got a letter from the MA lottery saying they are changing Mega Millions as of June 24th when California is joining, did I want to change my number? The new set up is 5 of 56 and 1 of 46 for the Megaball. Not sure what the new odds are, letter did not say.

Greenwich, CT
    United States
    Member #4793
    May 24, 2004
    1822 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2005, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

A 5/56 + 1/46 matrix has odds of 175,711,536:1.  A step in the right direction toward super jackpots.  I think this could easily generate a $400 million prize.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2005, 1:20 am - IP Logged

I think that it's lame they're jacking up the odds to 1 in 175,711,536 but increasing the starting jackpot to only $12 million, while Powerball is only jacking up its odds to 1 in 146,107,962 but increasing its starting jackpot to $15 million.  Mega should increase theirs to at least $15 million as well.

United States
        Member #11761
        February 23, 2005
        174 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2005, 1:49 am - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by ryanm on April 16, 2005

I think that it's lame they're jacking up the odds to 1 in 175,711,536 but increasing the starting jackpot to only $12 million, while Powerball is only jacking up its odds to 1 in 146,107,962 but increasing its starting jackpot to $15 million. Mega should increase theirs to at least $15 million as well.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2005, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

So do I.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
            USA
            United States
            Member #8242
            October 29, 2004
            1133 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2005, 9:43 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by ryanm on April 16, 2005

I think that it's lame they're jacking up the odds to 1 in 175,711,536 but increasing the starting jackpot to only $12 million, while Powerball is only jacking up its odds to 1 in 146,107,962 but increasing its starting jackpot to $15 million.  Mega should increase theirs to at least $15 million as well.

Heh, a paltry $2 million increase. They sure do think highly of their customers.

Can you all say  "getting the S H A F T ?"

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
              North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2005, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I wish Mega would start out at $15 million too.  With Cali they will be able to afford it.    AND since they are changing it they need to add the megaplier to all MM states.  Just my thoughts.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2005, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

is it too late for players to demand a 5 million increase on mega millions like powerball is getting??????

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                  San Angelo, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #1097
                  January 31, 2003
                  1394 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2005, 11:56 am - IP Logged

The new MegaMillions game has ALREADY been approved and adopted by the 12 states involved. This was done WITHOUT any player input. In some states the new game was adopted in secret. They are announcing the new game now because they have to shut down multidraws for the current game. Otherwise, the game would have been started without any significant advance notice.

Each state has to adopt and implement the megaplier feature available in Texas. There is a lot of risk involved for some states. Recently. Texas lost a bundle when several players won $700,000 each. The state is way ahead, but could go into the red if many players have a lucky streak.

The only way players can have any affect is to NOT PLAY. Course this not going to happen, primarily because there are millions of players who seem to think that, despite the odds, they have a better chance of winning when the jackpot if large.

Can't believe some people are praising the Mega Millions gang for coming up with a game that could produce a $400 million jackpot!!

pots than lower ones.

The only way players can affect the game is NOT PLAY.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8363 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2005, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm from Maryland and i agree this is kinda ridiculous. Buddy Roogow is the head honcho of megamillion. My guess is that he must have been pressured into this by the majority of other lottery directors. It wasn't that long ago that they said they were satisfied with the game and that no changes were forthcoming. But as soon as they said powerball was changing and California was joining megamilions they sought compete with powerball.

I'm not happy about the change but people aren't going to stop playing, if anything more people will play when the pot hits the 200,000,000 mark.
                      danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
                      Member #13684
                      April 11, 2005
                      77 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2005, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I am just happy to final get a date for when MM will be available in CA.  I live in CA and have been wanting the large jackpots of MM compared to the usually small jackpots of SuperLotto PLUS - especially since there are no reputable online ticket sources for MM. 

Well, now my calendar looks like:

• May 19 - see RotS

• June 24 (morning) - buy my first MM ticket(s)

• June 24 (evening) - win my first MM jackpot

• June 25 - wake up and see if it was all a dream!
                        USA
                        United States
                        Member #8242
                        October 29, 2004
                        1133 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2005, 8:30 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by bobby623 on April 17, 2005

there are millions of players who seem to think that, despite the odds, they have a better chance of winning when the jackpot if large.

I never understood that. Can someone please explain the rationale behind that idea?
                          Greenwich, CT
                          United States
                          Member #4793
                          May 24, 2004
                          1822 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2005, 8:33 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on April 17, 2005

there are millions of players who seem to think that, despite the odds, they have a better chance of winning when the jackpot if large.

I never understood that. Can someone please explain the rationale behind that idea?

I spend more money at higher jackpots, to give me a better shot at winning, because I'd rather win $200 million than $10 million.
                            USA
                            United States
                            Member #8242
                            October 29, 2004
                            1133 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2005, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I may not have my thinking cap on today, but how does playing during a higher jackpot give better chances of winning?

danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
                              Member #13684
                              April 11, 2005
                              77 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2005, 8:46 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on April 17, 2005

It is just simple probablity.  Buy one ticket you have a chance of 1 in some huge number.  Buy five tickets, you have 5 chances in some huge number.  Theoretically, you could buy every number combination, but the jackpot would have to be around $16 billion to break even.  I am curious as to how MM states the odds as 1:135 million (approximately) when the theoretical number combinations are over 16 billion?  Does anyone know?