Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 11:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions changing June 24 -official

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 12 years ago by tg636.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
Member #13684
April 11, 2005
77 Posts
Posted: April 19, 2005, 2:33 am - IP Logged

At the highlight of his career, John D. Rockefeller was the richest man in the world.  When asked by a reporter how much money was enough, Rockefeller replied, "Just one more dollar."  Studies have shown that Americans that earn enough to meet their basic needs (food, housing, car, etc.) make about $60K/year.  When rated for their happiness, they were as happy as those who made $250K/year, and happier than those who made $1 million/year. 

Money that comes fast tends to be spent fast.  The question is if you win, can you be one of the few who does not become possessed by his/her possessions?

United States
    Member #972
    December 30, 2002
    465 Posts
    Posted: April 19, 2005, 10:13 am - IP Logged

I take it the reason there is no story on here is because there has been no official press release. Although a letter from the MA lottery to season ticket holders is pretty official.  It shows you they consider the change a shady, shameful act, are not proud of it and don't want to publicize it.  Like most things the Bush administration does.

I just don't think I can continue being a regular player after the changes. The 40,000,000 more combinations have sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me, even if I do have a better chance of matching the megaball. I will still get one when the jackpot is $250 million or more.  

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23349 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2005, 10:47 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by tg636 on April 19, 2005

I take it the reason there is no story on here is because there has been no official press release. Although a letter from the MA lottery to season ticket holders is pretty official.  It shows you they consider the change a shady, shameful act, are not proud of it and don't want to publicize it.  Like most things the Bush administration does.

I just don't think I can continue being a regular player after the changes. The 40,000,000 more combinations have sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me, even if I do have a better chance of matching the megaball. I will still get one when the jackpot is $250 million or more.  

Your reference of President Bush is very weird.  What the heck does the President have to do with Mega Millions changes?

Also, my guess is that they are readying a big marketing campaign.  All this conspiracy stuff is really getting annoying.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

bobby623's avatar - abstract
        San Angelo, Texas
        United States
        Member #1097
        January 31, 2003
        1405 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2005, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I thought this was a forum where people can express their views about lotteries.

It would be a wonderful world if the people with the power to design and implement lotteries would conduct their business in open forums. But the fact is that they don't. They usually meet in an open session to approve what has already been decided behind the scenes.

Any lottery director will tell you he was hired to make money for his state, to maximize profits whenever and however possible.  There is precious little evidence that anyone speaks for the players.

A good example is the Texas Lottery Commission. No dissenting views are allowed, except at the end of their meetings where they accept public comment. However, there is no give and take. Dissenters present their views, case closed.

Conspiracy is a good word and it has a good application where lotteries are concerned.

Redmond WA
          United States
          Member #5966
          July 29, 2004
          71 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2005, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

All we are is the result of what we have thought.

Mike

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23349 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2005, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

The problem with "player input" driving the Mega Millions matrix is that it is a sophisticated analysis that goes into creating it, not something created on what would be really "cool".  There is way too much money at stake for each of the twelve states (and millions of residents) to take chances on creating a matrix that loses money.

That's a fact, and that's just the way it works.  Now, if I've just described a "conspiracy theory", then you are entitled to your opinion, and you are free to express that opinion here, because I do not filter people's expressions.  (I will debate you however, if I feel differently, because that is MY right.)

After the MM states debut the new game matrix, it is up to you if you want to play.  I'll bet you will play, even though the matrix was created behind a thick veil of secrecy.  Again, I have given you plenty of opportunity to vent your feelings, now hopefully you will allow me the same opportunity.  You don't want to censor me, do you?

United States
              Member #637
              August 28, 2002
              80 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2005, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I am very happy to disagree with mr/ms TG636.  I want to feel that the lottery commissioners and staffs are no different from you players and me in that they are doing the "job" they were hired to do with honor and integrity.

In like manner i would like to think that LP members are honorable and respectable; especially TODD, our web master.

To denigrate our President over some weird thinking that exists only in one's mind is worthy of absolutely nothing, especially posting on this forum.

Can we not stick to our avowed purpose of developing some lottery jackpot winnings and veer away from conspirative conjecture?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19898 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2005, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

The only input the public has in any lottery is weather to buy a ticket or not.  Lotteries are designed to make the most money and if more tickets are sold then that's a thumb up to the people running them.  Years ago when Ohio had one of the most successful State lottery in the country with jackpots of $50M+, the lottery commission listened to some public input and reduced the maximum one ticket could win to $20M.  After six months of losing sales they did away with that rule, learned a lesson about listening to public input and been trying to regain those sales level ever since.  They added MegaMillion last year to help in that effort.  They know now that the only input that counts is ticket sales.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23349 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2005, 5:01 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on April 19, 2005

The only input the public has in any lottery is weather to buy a ticket or not.  Lotteries are designed to make the most money and if more tickets are sold then that's a thumb up to the people running them.  Years ago when Ohio had one of the most successful State lottery in the country with jackpots of $50M+, the lottery commission listened to some public input and reduced the maximum one ticket could win to $20M.  After six months of losing sales they did away with that rule, learned a lesson about listening to public input and been trying to regain those sales level ever since.  They added MegaMillion last year to help in that effort.  They know now that the only input that counts is ticket sales.

Thanks for that story RJOh, I agree.  Another state that listens to player input too much in designing their games is Pennsylvania.  They still have yet to create a decent Lotto game, and each time they introduce a new one, it's based on "player input".

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: April 19, 2005, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

PA should replace Unlucky for Life with an annuitized in-state lotto game (or replace it with Hot Lotto).

Redmond WA
                      United States
                      Member #5966
                      July 29, 2004
                      71 Posts
                      Posted: April 19, 2005, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Like I said before,If it's to much money for one person they can always share it with all the members on this site.

If you don't want to buy a MM ticket you DON'T have to.

This is not Europe where we are all the same and we all should make the same amount of money and we all drive Yugo's and don't shower or shave or use soap.

Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer,Jeff Bezos, all live right here in Seattle and together are worth about $90 BILLION and if you think they have to much money go ahead and tell them.

You could take all the money in the world and divide it up equally and within 2 years most of the money would be back in the hands that had the most money before because they know how to make and keep large amounts of money.

You walk through whatever you think.

Mike

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23349 Posts
                        Posted: April 19, 2005, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Like I said before,If it's to much money for one person they can always share it with all the members on this site.

If you don't want to buy a MM ticket you DON'T have to.

This is not Europe where we are all the same and we all should make the same amount of money and we all drive Yugo's and don't shower or shave or use soap.

Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer,Jeff Bezos, all live right here in Seattle and together are worth about $90 BILLION and if you think they have to much money go ahead and tell them.

You could take all the money in the world and divide it up equally and within 2 years most of the money would be back in the hands that had the most money before because they know how to make and keep large amounts of money.

You walk through whatever you think.

Mike

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #2338
                          September 17, 2003
                          2063 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2005, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I find it strange that people would rather play computer drawn games for a lower prize rather than a ball drawn game for a higher one but to each their own.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2005, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Also any word on what the second tier prize will be? It's changing to 200k in powerball wonder if it's the same for mega.

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23349 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2005, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Also any word on what the second tier prize will be? It's changing to 200k in powerball wonder if it's the same for mega.

I have heard it will be $250,00 for the second prize.  Not too shabby.