Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

AOL is rejecting our e-mail

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 12 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23274 Posts
Posted: May 6, 2005, 10:32 am - IP Logged

AOL users, your lovely ISP is rejecting almost all of the e-mails we send you.  I have done just about everything I can do to work with them to get our e-mails through, so at this point I am throwing in the towel.

If you want to receive e-mails from us, I would suggest one of the following:

• Get a new Internet provider. (What I would do! )

• Use a non-AOL e-mail address.

• Contact the AOL postmaster and complain that they are blocking Lottery Post's e-mails.

If you choose the third option, be prepared: AOL will attempt to blame both you and me, but they will never admit that their stupid policies and even worse technology are to blame.  Rest assured: I have done everything humanly possible to work within their guidelines and setup special loopback accounts for them, and everything else that they say to do.  But it still doesn't work.  Tell them that you're going to close your AOL account, unless they allow your e-mail from lotterypost.com to come through.  (I don't know what else would work.)

The bottom line for me is that I cannot spend any more time on that stupid company - I have already spent much too much time on it.  They are supposed to work for you, not against you.  If they won't listen to your request to receive our e-mails, then they should be given the royal heave-ho.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

SirMetro's avatar - center
    East of Atlanta
    United States
    Member #6191
    August 11, 2004
    1389 Posts
    Posted: May 6, 2005, 10:56 am - IP Logged

and folks wonder why AOL is referred to as A$$holes Off-Line

Sir Metro

winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #2218
      September 1, 2003
      5387 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2005, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Or AO "Hell"

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31362 Posts
        Posted: May 6, 2005, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

no problem with email coming through -

love to nibble those micey feet.

Poway CA (San Diego County)
          United States
          Member #3489
          January 25, 2004
          14120 Posts
          Posted: May 6, 2005, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

AOL users, your lovely ISP is rejecting almost all of the e-mails we send you.  I have done just about everything I can do to work with them to get our e-mails through, so at this point I am throwing in the towel.

If you want to receive e-mails from us, I would suggest one of the following:

• Get a new Internet provider. (What I would do! )

• Use a non-AOL e-mail address.

• Contact the AOL postmaster and complain that they are blocking Lottery Post's e-mails.

If you choose the third option, be prepared: AOL will attempt to blame both you and me, but they will never admit that their stupid policies and even worse technology are to blame.  Rest assured: I have done everything humanly possible to work within their guidelines and setup special loopback accounts for them, and everything else that they say to do.  But it still doesn't work.  Tell them that you're going to close your AOL account, unless they allow your e-mail from lotterypost.com to come through.  (I don't know what else would work.)

The bottom line for me is that I cannot spend any more time on that stupid company - I have already spent much too much time on it.  They are supposed to work for you, not against you.  If they won't listen to your request to receive our e-mails, then they should be given the royal heave-ho.

I agree with Todd.  I have some friends that can't get my email because it is bounced by AOL.  I am on a number of mailing lists and at least two of them have refused to accept subscriptions from AOL members.  There has to be a "white list" somewhere like most software has, but the people that I know don't know where it is.

Todd's suggestion to get a new ISP is EXCELLENT!  Once you do that, you will find out what the internet is really like.  I started with AOL many, many years ago, but discovered there is a real internet out there!!

SirMetro's avatar - center
            East of Atlanta
            United States
            Member #6191
            August 11, 2004
            1389 Posts
            Posted: May 6, 2005, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

A possible and "FREE" consideration may be to utilize Yahoo. I personally use Yahoo for both business and personal. Very handy since the business email max's out at 2 meg on sending and receiving. It's a bit cumbersum, but very functional and usuable. And best of all...does NOT cost a dime and about the ONLY spam I get is from Yahoo (average 1 a week)...for that, I can not complain.

Sir Metro

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8364 Posts
              Posted: May 6, 2005, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Had a problem receiving mail from lottery post before aol said people are sending multiple emails to there spam folders. Some reasons given people open mail box and have 50 replies from posters who post to every post in multiple threads. If aol users don't log onto their computer for three days there coud be as many as 100/200 email responces in their in box.

When a poster who has aol sends it to alo's spam folder then they aren't going to receive mail from lottery post.

Now that we have a new Lottery post web site aol users must put an email into the address book if they wish to receive email from lottery post or create an email address if the don't have an old one saved on their pc..

I am on aol and i am not having problems receiving email from lottery post.

AOL users if you have problems receiving email from lottery post put this address in your address book.

webmaster@lotterypost.com

retxx's avatar - mrthumbs
                BOSTON
                United States
                Member #48
                September 9, 2001
                3594 Posts
                Posted: May 6, 2005, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I also do get e-mails from lottery post with no problems.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8364 Posts
                  Posted: May 6, 2005, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

see here is retxx reply email responce

Hi four4me,

A new reply has been posted at Lottery Post to the following topic that you asked us to keep an eye on:

Forum: Lottery Discussion

Topic: AOL is rejecting our e-mail

Reply Posted By: retxx

To view the post, click on the link below:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/112440

You will not receive any further e-mail notifications about this topic until you view the topic at Lottery Post again.

To stop tracking this topic (or any other topic), go to the Manage Subscriptions page.

Everything you need for Powerball and Mega Millions is at USA Mega!

www.usamega.com

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23274 Posts
                    Posted: May 6, 2005, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

four4me:

I had mentioned that almost all (not ALL) e-mails are bouncing.  You are one of the lucky ones who are getting your e-mail.  I am getting stacks of bounce messages every hour from AOL, and they are all the same thing about our messages being spam.

The e-mails being bounced include new members' activation e-mails, private message notifications, reply notifications, etc. -- all e-mails that people have ASKED for, but AOL somehow wants to deem them "spam".  No other ISP -- and I deal with ALL of them -- has done this kind of thing.  AOL is the single-worst ISP to send e-mail to.

If I were an AOL member, and I experienced AOL PURPOSELY NOT DELIVERING e-mails that I ASKED FOR, I would be very upset.  As a webmaster dealing with them, I am so upset with them that I have stopped trying at all.  I just delete the bounced messages and forget it at this point.

I started this thread just as a warning to the members here about why they may not get e-mails anymore.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8364 Posts
                      Posted: May 6, 2005, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

thats right if i had clicked report spam even if by accident then i would probably not receive any more emails from the site until i went into my mail box and re entered your web email address. Or opened the spam folder and clicked this is not spam.

Here's my take on this when you creaded the old version the first time we had several problems receiving emails and i went throught a great deal of hassle contacting AOL to try and get it resolved. You also were in contact with them worked with you to fix the problem. Now you have created another version of your site and here again we are dealing with the same problem almost.

So if some Aol posters are clicking track this topic and open their mail box and are flooded with hundreds of email responces and start clikcking this is spam then it is sent to aol spam control center and is put under investagation. If i didn't stay on top of all the topics i track i would have a hundred replys to about 20 topics in 3 or 4 days.

So does that mean i shoudn't track topics, no, but when i start opening them and see whom the senders are i know automatically who replied to the 30 or so other topics i might have posed to without even bothering to open them i can guess who the topic repliers are. And although i could delete them i spend about 20 minutes sorting through the ones i wish to go to the site and see the reply. Some people just might get deterbed at seeing that and sent them to spam folder.

Other sites have the same spam controls as Aol. I know cause i have yahoo mail and if i go there right now i'll bet there are 300 spams in the folder.

Hyperdimension's avatar - latest trace_171.gif

United States
                        Member #9059
                        November 26, 2004
                        128 Posts
                        Posted: May 6, 2005, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

AOL is the worst internet company of America. Just Marketing.

El pensamiento ordena el caos..

http://1x2quinielas.blogspot.com

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31362 Posts
                          Posted: May 6, 2005, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

i love my aol.

Lover

love to nibble those micey feet.

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23274 Posts
                            Posted: May 6, 2005, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

four4me,

i know you like AOL, but the problem you're describing is not what webmasters go through.

The problem does not lie with fact that members accidentally click the report as spam button.  It's people who have never received e-mail from us.  I mentioned in my last post that people trying to activate their accounts never get the activation e-mail because of AOL's horribly aggressive spam filters.

That is not someone who accidentally clicked the spam button, it's someone who has never gotten anything from us.

If you run a busy web site like this and want AOL users to get their e-mail, you need the equivalent of one full-time person doing nothing but working with AOL.  I hope that clearly illustrates the problem.

If you ran this web site, is that something YOU would want?  Is that something YOU could afford?  Do you think that is a good way to deal with small business owners?

The answer to all those questions, of course, is no.

If AOL wanted to, they could easily create some kind of small business registration for owners of web sites, together with a set of clear, standard operating procedures that do not change from month to month, so that if someone follows their rules, all of their e-mail will get delivered.

But they do not do that.  Instead, they have an onerous set of arcane procedures that even if you take the enormous amount of time to implement them, they still don't work, and they will be totally different next month.

I'm saying all this because people think they know the problem, but they really don't.  Webmasters are the only ones who truly know the hell that is AOL.

You must realize that even though you enjoy their service as an end-user, they are an absolutely terrible company for a business to work with, and they do everything possible to make it difficult to send them e-mail.

Have I vented enough yet?

I just realized that I strayed a bit from my main point, and I'll try to get back to it.  AOL users need to understand that they may not get their requested e-mails from us, and they now know who to blame (and why).

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: May 6, 2005, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

i use yahoo as my e-mail address for lottery post to make things easier,i have aol and know things can get frustrating with them on issues sometimes. thats why i just use yahoo.........