Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Math and The Lottery

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BuzzsawAnn.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Is Standard Numerical Analysis Enough?

It's the only sure method [ 9 ]  [9.68%]
It gets you part way there [ 41 ]  [44.09%]
It's comes up short [ 19 ]  [20.43%]
I'm still working on it [ 24 ]  [25.81%]
Total Valid Votes [ 93 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 37 ]  
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4053 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2005, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Does math determine the lotto numbers or do the lotto numbers determine the math?

I think the math determines the lotto numbers because all numbers are the same.  The math returns a number right back to itself. 

takeemtothebank

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31361 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2005, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

If you are playing Pick-3, I think you can use mathematical formulas, however, I also think that even with the best probability of a number coming up, it could still stay dormant.

such as the 9 in ga.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: December 13, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

If you are playing Pick-3, I think you can use mathematical formulas, however, I also think that even with the best probability of a number coming up, it could still stay dormant.

I Agree!I agree.  I remember in one lottery book 178 was listed as dormant.  And some numbers favor certain states too.  And some states can't buy certain numbers. 

takeemtothebank

johnph77's avatar - avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #2987
        December 10, 2003
        832 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2005, 6:02 am - IP Logged
        Posted by Tenaj: Yesterday, 12:10 am - IP Logged

I agree. I remember in one lottery book 178 was listed as dormant. And some numbers favor certain states too. And some states can't buy certain numbers.

The more populated states limit the quantity of tickets sold on certain oversubscribed combinations to limit any adverse effect on the daily float should these numbers hit. Combinations like all triples, 711, 911 and others generally sell out early in those states.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #620
          August 25, 2002
          205 Posts
          Posted: December 25, 2005, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

I've read several times that two third of lottery winners used quick picks, so it's obvious that most winners don't use any type of analysis at all and do just fine. I have programs that I wrote myself to track lotteries and pick the combinations to play base on that data, but I do that because it makes playing the lotteries and losing my money more entertaining.  I matched 5of6 in the Ohio649 lottery two years ago, but I credit that to luck because I haven't done it again and I'm still using my programs.

RJOh

RJOH nailed this discussion before it ever got started.  That is, number crunching is entertaining, and there is nothing wrong with that, but so far no one has come up with a system to break the bank.  It seems that LUCK is still the big factor in winning a major jackpot.   

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

Alabama
            United States
            Member #17830
            June 27, 2005
            309 Posts
            Posted: December 25, 2005, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I've read several times that two third of lottery winners used quick picks, so it's obvious that most winners don't use any type of analysis at all and do just fine. I have programs that I wrote myself to track lotteries and pick the combinations to play base on that data, but I do that because it makes playing the lotteries and losing my money more entertaining.  I matched 5of6 in the Ohio649 lottery two years ago, but I credit that to luck because I haven't done it again and I'm still using my programs.

RJOh

RJOH nailed this discussion before it ever got started.  That is, number crunching is entertaining, and there is nothing wrong with that, but so far no one has come up with a system to break the bank.  It seems that LUCK is still the big factor in winning a major jackpot.   

My lottery playing partner attempts to eliminate 8 to 10 numbers in the GA and FL Fantasy 5 games through analysis and most times he is successful and those numbers aren't drawn.  While I agree that a good measure of luck is still required to win a jackpot,  being able to eliminate numbers through analysis reduces the odds, and therefore the amount of luck needed.

You only need to win a jackpot once to have your life change significantly.  Even a small one between $100k and $500k will do.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: December 25, 2005, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I've read several times that two third of lottery winners used quick picks, so it's obvious that most winners don't use any type of analysis at all and do just fine. I have a program that I wrote myself to track lotteries and pick the combinations to play base on that data, but I do that because it makes playing the lotteries and losing my money more entertaining.  I matched 5of6 in the Ohio649 lottery two years ago, but I credit that to luck because I haven't done it again and I'm still using my programs.

RJOh

I posted that comment over eight months ago and I'm still hanging in there hoping to get lucky.  My latest efforts was shared in the Pick5 forum for Rolling Cash5 Christmas eve drawing.  I spent $20 to win $11.  I'm still dreaming of the day that I can post that I matched 5/5 in RC5 or MegaMillions using my program and having fun chasing the dream.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: December 25, 2005, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

"I've read several times that two third of lottery winners used quick picks, so it's obvious that most winners don't use any type of analysis at all and do just fine. "

I'm sure it's been written here many times, but most people buy QPs which is why they win all the time. Even people who choose random numbers will say "give me a couple of QPs" once in a while. The winning numbers on Wed in FL were 3-4-5-9-44-51.  It was a QuickPick.  $46million won by one person. (Why would a 20 year old take the annuity? She could buy property and double her money in a few years.)

I do agree with RJOH that luck is the key factor.  Crunching numbers, listening to your inner voice, throwing 53 numbered pingpong balls into a pillowcase or whatever system a person has is probably as good as another. Gail Howard suggests picking 3 high and 3 low numbers (3 from 1-26 and 3 from 27-53) and never bet all even or all odd. To use a popular expression, "it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out" since that's just common sense and the majority of sets for the past 10 years follow some sort of rule or pattern. Most aren't consecutive numbers, most are not all low or all high, and usually they aren't all even or all odd.  But look at the last 2 FL Lotto picks. on Sat it was 1-22-26-40-48-50.  So on Wed, there were 4 numbers under 10 then on Sat there were 5 even numbers.  The only thing that really mattered when I looked them up was that none of them were mine!

Unhappy

By the way, I'm so happy when I see someone write something like:

"You only need to win a jackpot once to have your life change significantly.  Even a small one between $100k and $500k will do."

We've become such a greedy society. I've heard many people in line say they only buy tickets when the jackpot is over $20 million as if $3 million won't make a difference in somebody's life.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #620
                  August 25, 2002
                  205 Posts
                  Posted: December 25, 2005, 7:22 pm - IP Logged
                  MrBobb wrote:"My lottery playing partner attempts to eliminate 8 to 10 numbers in the GA and FL Fantasy 5 games through analysis and most times he is successful and those numbers aren't drawn..." 

I'm not a number cruncher but if I was I would be looking for 8 to 10 numbers that WOULD BE drawn and wheel them to cover those possibilities.  One would automatically eliminate all the other numbers in the field but there is still no guarantee that you are going to win any thing.  In most cases, I still say, "Give me a quick pick."

I do agree that you only need to win a jackpot once to have your life change significantly. I think I might have posted that on LP once along with every else I have said.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

Alabama
                    United States
                    Member #17830
                    June 27, 2005
                    309 Posts
                    Posted: December 25, 2005, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

rabbitfoot said:

"I'm not a number cruncher but if I was I would be looking for 8 to 10 numbers that WOULD BE drawn and wheel them to cover those possibilities.  One would automatically eliminate all the other numbers in the field but there is still no guarantee that you are going to win any thing."

Actually, that's what we're "fine tuning" at this point.  However, the more numbers you can eliminate, the lower the odds.  Once you can consistently eliminate a pool of numbers from the game, analyzing the remaining numbers to decide which to include becomes easier.  It's still very much a work in progress.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: December 25, 2005, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

If you are a number cruncher, the best thing you can do is to record what you crunched and how well you did.  It has been my experience that eliminating numbers is more likely to be harmful than helpful.  Some ideas sound better than they actually are and a record of how well they've done in the past should be a good indication of how well they will work in the future.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BuzzsawAnn's avatar - nw shadow.jpg
                        CHICAGO
                        United States
                        Member #28557
                        December 18, 2005
                        111 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2006, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

It is the math- John is correct- this is not a fair game- they use different ball sets and change the range of numbers from time to time amd because there are millions of possibilities the lottery can rake in tons of money.
                        The lottery is weighted against the player but you can increases your chances slightly I think by tracking the balls.