Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions or Powerball?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which multi-state lotto game will surpass 363 million jackpot as their grand prize?

Powerball [ 6 ]  [20.00%]
Mega Millions [ 24 ]  [80.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
wgittings's avatar - pacman
Seymour, CT
United States
Member #19277
July 28, 2005
7 Posts
Posted: July 28, 2005, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

I'd have to say Powerball. If they can get to $241 million with 53 numbers, they should be able to go well past $360 million by adding another 20 million to the odds.

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: July 29, 2005, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I certainly think MM will break their own record first. Yes California will bring in a lot of potential winners, but that also means that the jackpot will rollover to a higher amount quicker.

Powerball will get there eventually. The only thing I think will be a problem is that it will take a lot more drawings to get to a new record. But if you compare the amount of combinations in the new PB with the total population of all the states in it, you will find the ratio to be very high compared to the new MM. This might be a good thing which will prevent someone from winning the jackpot and give them longer jackpot runs. Also, I dont know if they got rid of that stupid rule which restricts the rollover amount to only $25 million once they reach a new PB all-time high. If they didnt, forget about PB reaching new highs anytime soon.

When Florida decides to join a multi-state lottery, it will be interesting to see who they select. But if MM wont allow any new members, then I think the inclusion of Florida in PB will be very positive for it.

I don't like the restricted rollover amount to only $25 million over the new PB all-time high. Why did PB have this restriction put into place? I hope that MM gets there first before PB.

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: July 30, 2005, 10:23 am - IP Logged

I expect PB to continue to have the soft cap.

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: July 30, 2005, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

I say MM will get there first because of the soft cap of PB.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2005, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Now that we know what the cash option % of the annuity should be for Powerball, whether PB or MM reaches 363m first would be a toss-up IMHO if PB didn't have the Match 5 bonus.