Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Texas - World's Worst Jackpot Game?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Fort Worth
United States
Member #4717
May 20, 2004
46 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2005, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Someone hit the $44 million last Saturday. The Wednesday jackpot was the minimum $4 million. It rolled and was still $4 million on Saturday. I really wasn't surprised by that given recent events.

But nobody won tonight and it rolled to $4 million again. I have never seen a jackpot game roll twice and still be stuck at the minimum.

This is unreal.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23275 Posts
    Posted: September 4, 2005, 8:21 am - IP Logged

What that means is that they didn't really have the funds for the minimum $4 million jackpot in the last drawing, but they had to make it $4 million anyway, because that's the set minimum.  They were just embroiled in a big scandal about over-inflating jackpots, so they won't be doing that anymore.  If they don't have the sales to justify a higher jackpot, then they won't do it.

It's hard and fast sales numbers, has nothing to do with how good the game is.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: September 5, 2005, 1:42 am - IP Logged

What that means is that they didn't really have the funds for the minimum $4 million jackpot in the last drawing, but they had to make it $4 million anyway, because that's the set minimum.  They were just embroiled in a big scandal about over-inflating jackpots, so they won't be doing that anymore.  If they don't have the sales to justify a higher jackpot, then they won't do it.

It's hard and fast sales numbers, has nothing to do with how good the game is.

Yep, that's just the way it works sometimes. You set a minimum jackpot high, but it takes a while for the actual money in the prize pool to exceed it. It happens in AZ and MA too.

(insert signature here)

Amarillo/Austin
        United States
        Member #1424
        April 25, 2003
        696 Posts
        Posted: September 5, 2005, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Todd, I beg to differ . . .

Dawn Nettles is right.  There are too many combinations for the population of the state.  In other words, it is too hard to win and we refuse to throw our money away on a bad game.  Not playing is the result.  Texans are smarter than their "leaders" look.

Orangeman                                                Poke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: September 5, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

As player find other games with higher jackpots to play, States will have to reduce the minimum starting jackpots and minimum roll over amounts of their games because they will have fewer players.  Ohio has been during that with their SuperLottoPlus games and next month they will eliminate the game all together replacing it with a game that has a starting jackpot of $1M.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: September 5, 2005, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Pretty much the same in WI. Our state 6/49 game is MEgabucks. But the odds at the jackpot are nearly 7 million to 1, and we only have about 5 million people in the entire state last I heard.  So it takes forever for it to build.  Add the fact that they only pay a first tier prize of$2 for 3 of 6, and $30 for 4 of 6, and it just isn't worth spending money on. There are too many other ways to spend your dough. The first and second tier prizes are chintzy for a game that has a minimum of $1M jackpot.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: September 5, 2005, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

You can complain about your games all you want. I still say the worst US jackpot games are MA Mega$.uck$ (still annuity-only) and NY Lotto 59 (38%-40% prize return; 3/6 always $1). By contrast MA Ca$h WinFall probably is the best game.

Fort Worth
                United States
                Member #4717
                May 20, 2004
                46 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2005, 12:01 am - IP Logged

No winner tonight. The jackpot rolls to....
                $4 million for Saturday.
                That makes 4 drawings at the mimimum with no winners.

And if I'm reading the online jackpot estimation sheet correctly, they believe that they will still be underfunded by $310,386 for the Saturday drawing.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: September 8, 2005, 12:41 am - IP Logged

The TLC screwed themselves when they went to a Powerball-style game.

My state, Iowa, does not have a rolling jackpot game because Iowa is too small for one, but my neighboring state, Illinois, still has their Lotto game with a starting jackpot of $2 million and minimum rollovers of $250,000 (drawings are still three nights a week too).

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                    Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: September 8, 2005, 11:02 am - IP Logged

I won't play the Texas Lotto unless it is a 6/49 or 6/50 no bonus ball game.

Let it roll to $4 000 000 forever and ever on every draw, I will never play it myself.

I advice people to only play pick 3, cash5 and two step.

But mostly cash 5 and pick 3, the bonus ball on the 2step screws that game.

I refuse to play bonus ball games and also anything bigger than 6/49 or 6/50.

If they make it a no bonus ball 6/54 I still will not play it at all never , but never.

6/49, 6/50 or nothing for me.

If you want the game changed, then quit buying tickets, that is what I do.

10 more years might go buy and still I won't play the lotto, not as it is, I will only play it in my own terms, or I won't play it.

There is always the cash 5 and pick 3.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: September 8, 2005, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

ryan:

Don't forget Hot Lotto, the multi-state mini-Powerball. IA used to have in-state jackpot games, including Lucky Day.

Northern California
                        United States
                        Member #19948
                        August 9, 2005
                        151 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2005, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Dawn Nettles is a certified idiot with absolutely no idea how lottery games work.  Anyone who quotes her is either lazy or a certified idiot who knows nothing about the way lotetry games work.

You folks in Texas take the cake.  You stop playing your lotto game - so, the lottery changes it.

Then you complain that they changed the game.

They try to accommodate you - but you still don't play unless the jackpot gets really big. 

Amarillo/Austin
                          United States
                          Member #1424
                          April 25, 2003
                          696 Posts
                          Posted: September 8, 2005, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Drivedabizness:

I'm glad you don't live in Texas.  Stay in "Californey"  and make everyone in Texas happy! 

Dawn told the TLC not to make the changes.  They made them anyway.  At least visit her website before you run her down.  I'm with Lantern on this one.  You don't know what you are talking about.

Orangeman                                    Bash

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: September 8, 2005, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Now, I checked the Lotto Texas Jackpot. It's stuck at 4 million again for the third draw in a row. I'm disappointed about the Lotto Texas having a bonus ball. I think they should go to a 6/50 or 6/49, or screw them!

Northern California
                              United States
                              Member #19948
                              August 9, 2005
                              151 Posts
                              Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Orangeman

That cool-aid will kill you. 

Ever hear (even down there) the old saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"? Just because she keeps saying "don't do this" or "do that" - I've worked with her.  She has no clue what she is talking about.  Sales were already way down WHEN THE GAME WAS THE WAY SHE WANTED IT.  What do you expect the Lottery to do - nothing?

Where was she to rally all the players to come back to the game?

Oh and by the way - I've helped generate many more additional millions of lottery proceeds for Texas than you AND Dawn Nettles combined.  I don't just sit on the web bitching - I help do something about it.