Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Texas - World's Worst Jackpot Game?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
Tx
United States
Member #4570
May 4, 2004
5180 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2005, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

I would change the game to a 6/49  game then lower the jackpot from $ 250, 000 to $ 500 000 to start with, then if somebody won on every draw or every other draw I would then start to play the game.

It is much better for very many more people to win much smaller ammounts of money than for a very very very few people to win big ammounts of money.

We don't have a chance of winning any money at all never as the game is now.

I would rather win $ 250,000 or $ 500,000 than NO MONEY AT ALL.

As things are now, the TXCash5 might be the best jackpot game to be played.

Forget about the TXLotto.

As to the impossible to win MMs buy 1 ticket only and only when it is at least $150, 000 000, before that ammount, might be a waste of money most of the time, maybe, check winning statistics as they relate to how high the jackpot is at the time that it is won, that will tell you when to start buying your one ticket for it.

Good luck to all.

Also on a new TXLotto the smaller wins should be raised to be more equalized according to numbers won. Smaller wins raised and higher wins lowered = More people winning money and more very much happier TEXANS = Very many more people playing the TxLotto.

More people winning more money more often = Higher Sales.

Now everybody happy ! Win, Win and Win some more !

Amarillo/Austin
    United States
    Member #1424
    April 25, 2003
    696 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2005, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

Drivedabizness:

Explain how you drove business for the Texas Lottery Commission.  You obviously failed.  If I was that close to a such a failing enterprise I wouldn't admit it.  You "drove da bizness" off a cliff.  What flavor of Kool Aid have you been drinking lately?

Orangeman                                          Green laugh

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
      Atlantic Mine, Michigan
      United States
      Member #416
      June 23, 2002
      1614 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries only change games when people don't like them anymore.  How do you tell that....sales.  If sales are starting to slump they know they have to change it.  The Tx lottery wouldn't be any different.  No matter how anyone feels there is a bottom line.  Larger jackpots = larger sales.  That is what the lottery is in for.  The more sales the more money they make.  Players don't want samller prizes spread out over more people.  They want large jackpots.  If you disagree with that then you need to look over the data.  Look at the sales difference between a minimum jackpot draw and one that is up to 11 rolls. 

Brad

Fort Worth
        United States
        Member #4717
        May 20, 2004
        46 Posts
        Posted: September 10, 2005, 3:06 am - IP Logged

Give Lotto Texas 11 rolls and it may get up to $7 million :)

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: September 10, 2005, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Maybe they should just drop the LottoTexas game and instead give us a pick 4 game either once or twice a day 6 days a week.

Otherwise, they can instead give us a keno game.

It is obvious that TLC doesn't now how to manage lottery games.

Fort Worth
            United States
            Member #4717
            May 20, 2004
            46 Posts
            Posted: September 11, 2005, 12:30 am - IP Logged

Well, it did roll to $5 million.

What gets me is that I bought a ten drawing ticket 4 weeks ago when it was $39 million and I've matched 3+0 and 2+1 since then. Apparently the key to winning is to buy a ticket and then come on here and bitch about how bad the game is.

I also hit the bonus ball in Mega Millions last night and have matched 2 of 5 in Cash 5 three times since the first of the month.

Six wins in the past three weeks for a total of $18. Oh, why did I have to add it up? I was feeling good before I did that :(

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: September 13, 2005, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

tony:

I plan to play Lotto Texas (and MM with Megaplier) next month when I drive through on I-40 on my way to California.

If you think Lotto TX (which has a 52% payback) is bad, be glad you don't live here, where our 6/59 game has a return of only 40%!

Fort Worth
                United States
                Member #4717
                May 20, 2004
                46 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2005, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Well, don't expect a big payout if you win Lotto Texas. Someone won the $6 million jackpot tonight. So it's back to $4 million for the rest of the month.

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2005, 11:28 am - IP Logged

For those who live in Texas, be glad you have what you have. NY pays out only 38%-40% in its game.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                    San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1394 Posts
                    Posted: September 27, 2005, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

The Lotto Jackpot has been hit twice recently, paying $4 million. Hard to believe that the game was so difficult to win for such a long time and then, wham, 2 jackpot hits in a row.

The Texas jackpot game was introduced in order to increase profits. The TLC estimated that 5 to 10 million tickets would be sold every draw. Unfortunately, only the poor and the stupid played a game they were not likely to win.

Without admitting defeat, the TLC started looking around. They got a powerful state official to start a campaign to bring in Mega Millions or Powerball. Subsequently, Mega Millions was added. One commissioner wanted to get both games!

This, of course, drove a silver stake through the heart of Texas Lotto. It's been bleeding to death ever since. It should have died long ago, but lottery folks have a hard time admitting they were wrong in saying that players would support both games.

Players jumped on the MM bandwagon. Afterall, if you are going to lose, its better to not win $100 millon than a measly $10 million. The TLC estimated millions would buy MM tickets. The were wrong, as usual. Everything those people have tried to make an extra dollar has failed to produce the profits they predicted.  If you have time, go to the Texas Lottery website, click on legal and read some of the past minutes.

The sales of Lotto Texas tickets dropped as more and more folks switched to MM. Currently, Lotto sales are around 2 million or less per draw. Last Saturday, less than a million ticket were sold, and the jackpot was still won - go figure. Hurricane Rita impacted on sales, particularly in Houston where millions of poor folks play the lottery - with a lot of success.

The TLC has promised a new game to replace Lotto Texas. I think they have finally realized that the game is a dead duck.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. My opinion is that it will be game with a lot of promise but one that will be difficult to win. It will probably be dead before they spend millions to implement it.

A recommendation could be put forward at Wednesday's commission meeting.

If one would look at the overall sales figures for the past fiscal year, which are posted at lottoreport.com, one would see that all of the on-line games, except Pick 3, are in decline. Sales of scratch tickets are up. Going to be an interesting year, particularly when one of the commissioners is upset that state profits are below projections. To help increase profits, this same commissioner wants to reduce scratch ticket prizes. The acting director suggested going to 50 percent, down from the curent 70 percent, which would eventually cause lower sales.

If you doubt what I say, just read the minutes of the last commission meeting.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2005, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

"Classic" lotto games all over the US are losing popularity. Even Lotto South may be breaking up next year.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2005, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I hope Hot Lotto goes next!

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: September 28, 2005, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

"Classic" lotto games all over the US are losing popularity. Even Lotto South may be breaking up next year.

I realize that, painfully. But a lot of that has to do with the fact they are targeting the same people that play MM and PB. And it's not just pick-6 games, but all jackpot-driven games, like Lotto Texas. Here's an idea, lower the matrix (but not by too much), and put more of the prize pool towards lower-tier prizes. That will help carve a better niche between pick-5 games and the multi-state games.

(insert signature here)

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2005, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

How about this.

Matrix : 6/50

Min. Jackpot : $1,000,000 Annuity

Avg. Prize
                            % Of Pool
                            Odds
                            Match 6
                            JACKPOT
                            44%
                            1 : 15,890,700
                            Match 5
                            $2,500
                            8%
                            1 : 60,192
                            Match 4
                            $90
                            16%
                            1 : 1,200
                            Match 3
                            $10
                            32%
                            1 : 60

Portion of sales put towards prizes : 52.5%

Overall Odds : 1 in 56.888

A lot of money is put towards smaller prizes, but the jackpot still gets the biggest chunk. This would help carve a better niche between Texas Two-Step and Mega Millions.

(insert signature here)

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: September 29, 2005, 9:56 am - IP Logged

6/50 is too small for Texas. A return to 6/54 would be more appropriate.