Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won would you move from your town?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Pick3forSC.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you won the lottery, would you stay in your town?

I'd stay in my current home. [ 9 ]  [15.25%]
I'd stay in my home town, but buy another house. [ 20 ]  [33.90%]
I'd move out of town. [ 9 ]  [15.25%]
I'd move out of state. [ 14 ]  [23.73%]
I'd move out of the country. [ 2 ]  [3.39%]
I'd move to another planet [ 5 ]  [8.47%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
scott_one's avatar - abstract
Lapeer, MI
United States
Member #9977
December 29, 2004
31 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2005, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I would stay in my hometown but buy a big piece of property and build a huge house.

Pick3forSC's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
    North Carolina (West of Charlotte)
    United States
    Member #1436
    April 28, 2003
    628 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2005, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

If i ever hit one of the BIG ONES, New State, New Name, New Life!!!!!!!

Amarillo/Austin
      United States
      Member #1424
      April 25, 2003
      696 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I would stay in Amarillo but buy a vacation home in Angel Fire, NM.  Great winter sports and great scenery. 

Orangeman                                  Cool

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Good place, Angel Fire.

I might stay in my current village, or might move back to my Y2k cabin for more solitude (and chickens).  I'd be able to do things right this time, insofar as protection for the birds from predation, fences around the property to keep the cows and trespassers out, etc. 

Tough call.  But I'd definitely stay in New Mexico.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Pair King's avatar - animaniacs37
          Dallas Texas
          United States
          Member #18154
          July 6, 2005
          185 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Stay in Dallas...my new place called home would probably be A.Rods old house...In Highland Park(DALLAS).....have a vacation spot in the hamptons..A Manhatten skyrise...and a spot in miami...no more televised vma's i would be there....

First you get the money ...Than you get the power...The rest is all on you...

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31344 Posts
            Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

yes - move

love to nibble those micey feet.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
              Member #567
              August 14, 2002
              482 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2005, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

If you win the Powerball or Mega Millions, you have to leave town.  Look at what happened to Jack Whittaker.  There have been stories of family feuds, divorces, greedy relatives..... you name it.  I would at least move to a different city.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2005, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

Hit the $100M and I would move back to Texas. You can by a lot of privacy and luxary in Texas with that kind of money. Some place around Lake Fork. Then do the travel thing. I would leave New Jersey the same day I turned in the ticket.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #21206
                  September 4, 2005
                  949 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2005, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Hit the $100M and I would move back to Texas. You can by a lot of privacy and luxary in Texas with that kind of money. Some place around Lake Fork. Then do the travel thing. I would leave New Jersey the same day I turned in the ticket.

That's funny, but I would definitely stay in New Jersey.  I love it here.

If the prize were large enough, though, I would have a second home in New Zealand.

FLORIDA
                    United States
                    Member #5364
                    July 1, 2004
                    88 Posts
                    Posted: September 15, 2005, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I'd keep my legal residence in this area that I live in now. Excluding the hurricanes ( or their aftermath) the weather isn't all that bad say from 1 Nov thru 1 May. It's kind of neat to be able to get up in the morning and go fishing in shirt sleeves in December instead of breaking out the snow blower. It's also a trip to be able to watch the shuttle leave the launch pad on television then walk outside onto my front lawn and watch it reach for the sky.

I do think I'd do the vacation cottage route say in the Maine, NH, Vermont, region for the spring and summers. Like a previous poster stated I'd be doing the travel deal a bit the first couple of years so I don't see any first post "mega" residence being a palatial estate. More a place to stay low key and content...........................

Cleveland, OH
                      United States
                      Member #3708
                      February 13, 2004
                      56 Posts
                      Posted: September 15, 2005, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

There's a really well-off city near Cleveland called Beachwood. I mean, they're not filthy, stinkin rich like Malibu or anything, but it's a beautiful city and the homes are really nice.

new jersey
                        United States
                        Member #21621
                        September 12, 2005
                        12 Posts
                        Posted: September 15, 2005, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

If I won the mega millions I would stay in the same town in jersey but move to a different house.  I would pay off all my bills, give my family some money and just live as normal as possible with having all that money.  I wouldnt want to move to a ritzy town cause I dont want to be snobbish like alot of jersey people are with money but I would want to stay down to earth and just be very comfortable with life.  Would definately travel also, I have never taken a vacation yet so that would be nice. 

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:07 am - IP Logged

I once posted a similar poll to this one.  At that time, I thought I'd stay in my same town or at least same state, but now I'm not so sure.  The population of my city has swelled considerably because of hurricane evacuees from New Orleans.  It's going to get more crowded here, more traffic, congestion, etc., than before and our infrastructure, which had trouble handling what we already had, will be stretched even further.

I'd probaby move to another state now.  I've considered Nevada, partially because they have no state personal income tax, so that's one less place taking money from me.  I once took one of those online questionaires about my perfect place to live.  It suggested some places in North Carolina, but I'd like to get out of the hurricane zone if I can.

Another thing I have to consider is I'm in a pool with 3 coworkers for Powerball, so we'd have to split everything.  Hopefully we win a huge jackpot so all still have alot after splitting it up.

PrisonerSix 

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                            Member #91
                            January 19, 2002
                            11927 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

There's a really well-off city near Cleveland called Beachwood. I mean, they're not filthy, stinkin rich like Malibu or anything, but it's a beautiful city and the homes are really nice.

I used to work in Beachwood right off of I-271 and Chagrin Rd.....nice area, but I'm more of the loner type....i need to be able to see you coming for about a mile.....I need to be able to not see my neighbors,,, or hear them....I would have to move to the middle of nowhere,,,,I here only 10 people live in Montana....maybe there.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                              Member #6950
                              September 15, 2004
                              190 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2005, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

When I win the millions, I would keep my present home but buy another in the same state somewhere.  Then I would buy some other houses and turn them into apartments for the homeless and those that maybe down on their luck.