Mega Millions lottery jackpot to be a quarter-billion for Friday

Sep 14, 2005, 8:54 am (51 comments)

Mega Millions

Millions and millions of tickets sold, but no one managed to pick the right combination of numbers in the multi-state Mega Millions lottery game.  The $200 million dollars up for grabs in Tuesday night's game went without a top winner, hiking the jackpot to $250 million for Friday.

But 13 people in eight states came awfully close, matching five of the six winning numbers. Each of those tickets is worth $250,000.

The second-place tickets were sold in California (2), Georgia (2), Maryland, Michigan, New York (3), Ohio(2), Texas, and Virginia.

Unline the other eleven Mega Millions states, the California second-place winners each won $415,630, due to California's pari-mutuel prize structure, in which the prize is calculated based on the number of tickets sold, combined with the number of winners.

The winning numbers were: 13, 24, 44, 48, 52 and the Mega Ball was 30.  The Texas Megaplier was 4.

The next drawing is Friday.

California was the 12th state to join the multistate game several weeks ago, adding 36 million potential players and boosting the prizes. At the same time, the odds of taking home the grand prize increased from one in 135 million to one in 175 million.

Players pick five numbers between 1 and 56 and a Mega Ball number between 1 and 46. Players used to pick between 1 and 52 for all six numbers. Also new: Jackpots start at $12 million, up from $10 million.

The Mega Millions jackpot has not been this large for more than a year, when a $290 million jackpot was won on July 2, 2004 by a Massachusetts cleaning woman.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

walt iii

mega millions only went up 20%.........

i have a history of mega goes above $125, it starts climbing 30% higher ......................

gas price must be cause it period.......................

JAG331

The $250,000,000 advertised jackpot is 1,000 times greater than second prize!

I can hardly imagine right now what I'd do with 250,000, not to mention 250 million!

Chewie

Glad to see those CA people hitting the list. Maybe it will encourage others to spend big. Its time to fill the truck, I need the increase California is supposed to provide.

mken32's avatarmken32

That is alot for one person WOW 250,000,000.00Smiley Santa xmas everyday especially the Katrina victims.

winner2b

Comeon baby! Make it a Great Friday for moi Cheers

fxsterling

i want more like 1/2 billion    also the cash is at100 million  i have seen the same states win 2nd pz don't other states have luck

nitabug's avatarnitabug

Hello all.  Well, I drove over a hour and a half to buy my Mega Million tickets.  I even got a friend to ride with me.  Not that the drive was bad it was the night before I was so sick and throwing up.  My head was blasting but at 7 am I crawled out of bed and went anyhow.  Then, got 3 miles down the road and realized I had forgot my map.  I turned around.  Boss called my cell phone and said I had to open the store for him.  Delayed another 2 hours!  after all that I spent $30 and won $7.  Still sick and my family is laughing and making fun at me!  My friend didn't say what she spent but what ever it was she lost it all.  So Chewie, we here in KY are doing our part to "fill up the truck".  I hope I am the gal driving the loaded truck at the end of this run!  Good luck to you all, but I'm holding the truck keys  (NOT)   LOL 

Patriot Nitabug

acronym007

I'm playing online, I used to travel an hour one way to go and get tickets but the service fee for the online games is cheaper. Save your money and play online. Besides, I would like to see two things:

1. A winner from LotteryPost for this jackpot

2. A winner from Prime Ticket Service

I wonder if Todd won would he close this website down? hehe. Good luck all, Cheers.

JimmySand9

Keep in mind that $250,000,000 is paid over 26 annual payments, and is before a big chunk is given to Uncle Sam.

Bktucker23

How does this rank as the Highest jackpots go 4th, 5th, 6th, etc.

CASH Only

jimmy:

I still won't take annuity. I'd hate to see someone in NY or TX hit on a "26 annual payments" ticket, since they CANNOT change their mind if they win.

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

$363 m in May 2000

$325 m in April 2002

$290 m July 2004

$250 m Sept 2005 

$230 m in Feb 2004

$208 m April 2005

Currently the fourth largest jackpot offered.  Lets break $300m !!!!!!

Brad

JAG331

Yes, it's also the 2nd highest Mega Millions jackpot ever, trailing only the $294 million won last summer by Geraldine Williams, the Lowell, Mass. janitor and housecleaner.

acronym007

Please help, I think the only way to win lotto is too not be excited about it.... LOL. Seriously, have you ever heard the winners stories. It goes something like this.

"I just got back from vaction, two weeks in Aruba and I forgot I purchased a ticket" or

"I forgot to check my tickets from a couple of weeks ago then I heard someone won" or

"I just bought one ticket with some gas & milk because I was bored and won $250 mil, cool"

LOL... I know it seems funny but most stories I read follow something like that were the winners are far less interested in Lotto than you and I in here. Cheers,

LeeDevo

The lottery is just a tax on people that can't do math.

lmatlaw

To JimmySand9, you don't have to take the $250,000,000 in 26 payments. It can be taken as a lump sum for a cash value of about 50% of the jackpot before taxes. $250 million would give you about $88 million net. What's wrong with that?

Also, despite the tax chunk that the Feds and the state might take, would you really complain with all of that money? Not me. I'd  be thrilled. Just let me win a measly million. I'd be plenty happy, even after taxes.

mken32's avatarmken32

$363 m in May 2000

$325 m in April 2002

$290 m July 2004

$250 m Sept 2005 

$230 m in Feb 2004

$208 m April 2005

Currently the fourth largest jackpot offered.  Lets break $300m !!!!!!

Brad

I am sorry brad but when I hit the 250 Million on Friday, you'll just have to wait for it  to grow again in a few months

This is my Birthday Month Party$250 m Sept 2005 looks good.

MKen32

JAG331

Cash value right now is at about 61%.

That's one thing that makes MM better than PB...because when PB reaches $250 million, they're not going to have nearly as much cash to back it up as MM does.

mken32's avatarmken32

I Agree! 

DoubleDown

If I were to hit this, I might just quit my job.

lmatlaw

That's one thing that makes MM better than PB...because when PB reaches $250 million, they're not going to have nearly as much cash to back it up as MM does.

Why won't PB have as much cash as MM does for a $250 million jackpot? PB had a $230 million winner in Idaho recently. I haven't heard of a problem.

twisted's avatartwisted

Why won't PB have as much cash as MM does for a $250 million jackpot? PB had a $230 million winner in Idaho recently. I haven't heard of a problem.

Thats because PB jackpot is paid over 29 annual payments compared to MM's 26 payments.  So MM needs more cash for a $250 million jackpot than PB (MM's cash to annuity ratio is about 60-61% compared to the old PB matrix's approximately 55-56%). 

But now, PB only has a cash to annuity ratio of 50-51%.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

The lottery is just a tax on people that can't do math.

Is that the reason so many people expect the winners to give out grants to the needy?

Lucky$even

Call me crazy, but I think $6.8 million per year (after taxes in Michigan) is enough to make me happy. And the bonus is that I get the security of knowing that I will get that amount every year for the next 26 years. Sure I could take the $108 mil now, but what if I make bad investments? I know nothing about the financial markets, and I don't know anyone who does, so any financial advisor or stockbroker I hire could be out for his or her own gain and there to screw me over, so I might not even reach the total of $177 mil guaranteed after the 26 years of annuity payments.

Also, it may be difficult to waste $108 million, but not impossible. With $6.8 per year, I know I can't get too carried away with my spending. Cash option assumes every penny will be invested and none spent, and that the player is too old to survive 26 years. Just my opinion.

twisted's avatartwisted

Call me crazy, but I think $6.8 million per year (after taxes in Michigan) is enough to make me happy. And the bonus is that I get the security of knowing that I will get that amount every year for the next 26 years. Sure I could take the $108 mil now, but what if I make bad investments? I know nothing about the financial markets, and I don't know anyone who does, so any financial advisor or stockbroker I hire could be out for his or her own gain and there to screw me over, so I might not even reach the total of $177 mil guaranteed after the 26 years of annuity payments.

Also, it may be difficult to waste $108 million, but not impossible. With $6.8 per year, I know I can't get too carried away with my spending. Cash option assumes every penny will be invested and none spent, and that the player is too old to survive 26 years. Just my opinion.

With the world getting more and more dangerous to live in, I dont know if I'll survive for another 25 years. I can have a financial advisor and have his salary based on the performance of my portfolio. And besides, I'll have the time and money to go back to school and take some finance classes so I can understand a little better what my financial advisor is talking about.

Also $1 million 20 years from now is not the same as $1 million today (financial term: TVM time value of money). Anything can happen to the financial markets and the value of a dollar tomorrow could be a lot less than it is today. There are just too many things that can change in 26 years.

I'll select CASH.

Chewie

To JimmySand9, you don't have to take the $250,000,000 in 26 payments. It can be taken as a lump sum for a cash value of about 50% of the jackpot before taxes. $250 million would give you about $88 million net. What's wrong with that?

Also, despite the tax chunk that the Feds and the state might take, would you really complain with all of that money? Not me. I'd  be thrilled. Just let me win a measly million. I'd be plenty happy, even after taxes.

In New Jersey and New York, you must choose when purchasing the ticket - cash or annuity. Once you choose, no changing your mind.

Cash is always a known variable.  Annuity is subject to anything that the government, state, or the economy cares to throw at you for the next 20 some years.  I'll take the $115M walk away money any day.  Give a large chunk to my daughter (for putting up with me all these years), hire some friends at outrages wages (like Disney did), hire the consultants to advise, the lawyers to keep you out of jail, and read Thrumps book on how to file bankruptcy and still have more money than my daughter, her children, or I will ever need.

twisted's avatartwisted

Even though New Jersey asks you to select cash or annuity when buying tickets, you can always change your mind afterwards and select whatever you want.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

If I were to hit this, I might just quit my job.

"might"?  I know my job would get same day service if I found out I won.

mken32's avatarmken32

I wish the Military was like that it probably take a week to process out. I'll let you guys know how long it took me to be process out, stay tune!Big Grin Santa 

250 M not bad......

vbmx
omg a 50,000,000 jump!
thats so many zeros.
they must have sold over 100,000,000 tickets.
damn thats even more zeros!
nomoneybabe

You all look so exciting ...making me  feel my part so small Dead. I just have three combinations for this big competition!

Good luck to you all !!!See Ya!

Chewie

Don't forget, Friday is also Euro Millions for $94M cash - no tax.  Not bad for second place! I've spread my money this time around.

JAG331

mega millions only went up 20%.........

i have a history of mega goes above $125, it starts climbing 30% higher ......................

gas price must be cause it period.......................

It went up 25% this past draw.

Chewie

Even though New Jersey asks you to select cash or annuity when buying tickets, you can always change your mind afterwards and select whatever you want.

Hum ... are you sure? Wonder why they would force a mandatory selection, and then say they were only kidding, choose which ever you want later. Does that apply to Pick 6 also?

NoCompLotto!

Hum ... are you sure? Wonder why they would force a mandatory selection, and then say they were only kidding, choose which ever you want later. Does that apply to Pick 6 also?

I think the reason is is that some IRS bureaucrat wants to know what you are planning on doing with it. We used to have to do that here in Michigan, but they got rid of that a few years ago. It applies to basically anything where you have a payout option (CVO/Annuity). IRS guidelines (and most lotteries) say you have 60 days from the claim date to "make up your mind." If you do not select an option in that time frame, you automatically receive annuity. You must ASK for the CO at the lottery center when claiming your prize. I guess to re-affirm that you actually want what you say you want. What?

NoCompLotto!
omg a 50,000,000 jump!
thats so many zeros.
they must have sold over 100,000,000 tickets.
damn thats even more zeros!

When it rolled to $363 in '00 it was a $75m jump from the previous draw. It was at $225M, upped to $250M on drawing day, then when no one hit, upped $75,000,000 to $325M, and then re-upped to $350 before topping out at $363M. I remember working the lotto terminal on May 9, too.... we had 4 tornadoes come within 1500 feet of our store... one of our entrances was completely obliterated, but the rest of the store was OK, along with everyone inside (we all ran for shelter in the back). As soon as the all-clear was given (9:45pm), I went back to the cash office to get my drawer, and promptly returned to the terminal, where I ALREADY HAD A LINE 75 PEOPLE LONG. This was in a span of 5 minutes. Shows you how die-hard some people are for a big JP.

HiYoSilver

There was a time in Michigan that Lottery winnings were not taxed, then the state changed their mind and all past winners getting annuties had to pay. That is why I would not take an annuity. The government (state, local or Federal) could change the tax rate on winnings and you could be out many millions more.

If I won this kind of money, I would hire a team of CPA's, lawyers and financial planners with the understanding that they would be audited by a different, independent CPA every year. As Ronald Reagan said "Trust but verify"

tg636

> The government (state, local or Federal) could change the tax rate on winnings and you could be out many millions more.

Yes, for this reason and other reasons I would take the cash. Even if it is proven I would make more with the annuity, this would make it a one time dealing with the state and fed/state taxes, then I would be free.

Just for fun, if you had the $107 million cash after taxes and put $57 million of that in a vault as cash and invested $50 million at 3.3% (the current ING direct savings account interest rate), you would make $137,000 a month off of less than half your fortune. You could live the good life and not have to touch a penny of your $107 million. Pretty incredible.  

Chewie

Don't forget that $137K is highly taxable. Like the "sin tax" every politican in the country is trying to figure out how to tax the rich for maximum amount they can. The top 50% of "Wage Earners" (that be you if you win) pay 96.03% of Income Taxes.  Not that you will be paying 96.03%, but your financial category is the number one target.

mken32's avatarmken32

Man you guys are amazing with all of your stat's, if you hit the big one (Jackpot) would continue doing this or would disappear off the face of the earth?

Mken32Smile

NoCompLotto!

I would PROUDLY announce my win here, and then after that, promptly disappear off of the face of the earth.  Thud

JAG331

I don't know if you could show your face at lotterypost without being deluged by private messages!

Littlemanjen

Hey Jag, You could probably have Todd disengage your private message inbox, or, just choose not to look at it and post what you want to everyone, not individuals.

BaristaExpress's avatarBaristaExpress

I agree with NoCompLotto with one exception, I'd post here once a month where I had just been and NEVER open my private message in box! Cheers

vbmx
yea people are rabid here if they thought you won the lottery.. i played a little prank here a few months ago and i remember i received a ton of messages.
I personally would post once in a while if i ever won,  I think the internet is probably the safest way for a lottery winner to interact with others.
you never know though.. someone could reverse trace your IP and come find your house and rob you! :)
Chewie

Since NJ makes your name public, during my interview, I'll mention the Lottery Post. That way every one will know it was a member who hit. Later, I will log on and let every one know if my plan to get an immediate advance from a bank worked and how I will spend some of the money. Nothing like words of wisdom from a winner.

Chewie
yea people are rabid here if they thought you won the lottery.. i played a little prank here a few months ago and i remember i received a ton of messages.
I personally would post once in a while if i ever won,  I think the internet is probably the safest way for a lottery winner to interact with others.
you never know though.. someone could reverse trace your IP and come find your house and rob you! :)

I would think, a contract with a couple of ex-SEALS, would ensure all the safety you would ever need. I don't think the expense would cause any dent in the $115M you will have. You won't need it forever, just for a year or two. Read all the articles on that idiot Whitaker, and pay a lawyer to tell you any time you get close to acting like him.

HiYoSilver

I would think, a contract with a couple of ex-SEALS, would ensure all the safety you would ever need. I don't think the expense would cause any dent in the $115M you will have. You won't need it forever, just for a year or two. Read all the articles on that idiot Whitaker, and pay a lawyer to tell you any time you get close to acting like him.

You don't need a lawyer to tell you your acting like an idiot, just get a wife. My wife tells me that now and we haven't come close to hitting the jackpot.Wink

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

Man you guys are amazing with all of your stat's, if you hit the big one (Jackpot) would continue doing this or would disappear off the face of the earth?

Mken32Smile

Considering the high price of space travel I would probably stay on earth.

donaldbst

nice pot

Cheers

CASH Only

$250 million sure would buy a lot of pot. Take that back, I don't think Todd encourages buying illegal substances.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story