Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

will powerball set a new record........

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do you see powerball surpassing its previous record setting jackpot?

yes [ 24 ]  [52.17%]
no [ 16 ]  [34.78%]
maybe [ 5 ]  [10.87%]
not sure [ 1 ]  [2.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Greenwich, CT
United States
Member #4793
May 24, 2004
1822 Posts
Posted: October 14, 2005, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I bet Powerball is hoping the final tally will stay below Jack Whitaker's $314.9 million mark on Saturday, so if it rolls, the jackpot on Wednesday could be $400 million and the cap would go into effect for next Saturday's drawing, if it made it that far.

The $300 million advertisement might be just enough to end up with $315m+ at draw time?!  If the annuitized value for tomorrow hits $315 million, that's it, a new jackpot record, the cap goes into effect, and the next pot would be $340 million.  Even though Powerball came up with the rule, I'm sure they're second-guessing, what-iffing right about now.

The first jackpot at $400 million?  Cha-ching to Powerball execs.  That's money.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

there could be two jackpot winners also........never know.....

Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: October 15, 2005, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I bet Powerball is hoping the final tally will stay below Jack Whitaker's $314.9 million mark on Saturday, so if it rolls, the jackpot on Wednesday could be $400 million and the cap would go into effect for next Saturday's drawing, if it made it that far.

The $300 million advertisement might be just enough to end up with $315m+ at draw time?!  If the annuitized value for tomorrow hits $315 million, that's it, a new jackpot record, the cap goes into effect, and the next pot would be $340 million.  Even though Powerball came up with the rule, I'm sure they're second-guessing, what-iffing right about now.

The first jackpot at $400 million?  Cha-ching to Powerball execs.  That's money.

why did they make this rule?  it doesn't make any sense because the higher the jackpot the more people are gonna want to buy tickets.the match 5 rule doesn't make sense.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2005, 1:37 am - IP Logged

They said they made that rule because some people only play for a "record" jackpot, and if they had a record jackpot of $700 million this year, they'd miss chances to have records at $400 million, $500 million, etc.

They also feel that the opportunity to win millions by matching only the first five white balls would give the game more media attention.

Greenwich, CT
          United States
          Member #4793
          May 24, 2004
          1822 Posts
          Posted: October 15, 2005, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Maybe Powerball wants a new record tonight? 

Eh, all of this cap stuff will be moot if there's a winner in 13 hours.

I think people would play for $500 million whether it was a record jackpot or not.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
            Atlantic Mine, Michigan
            United States
            Member #416
            June 23, 2002
            1614 Posts
            Posted: October 15, 2005, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

If it rolls tonight...it will be the biggest jackpot in North American history unseating the MM jackpot.  I don't want it to unseat Mega Millions....haha.  And it isn't going to roll because I have the winning ticket.  :)

But one more roll and we will see the biggest jackpot ever.  The announced jackpot should be $360,000,000 and it will raise after that.

Brad

Atlanta
              United States
              Member #15989
              May 24, 2005
              183 Posts
              Posted: October 15, 2005, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Someone's life is going to change tonight, and they are probably out raking leaves like me today not knowing.

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2005, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

If it is like the last few winners, they aren't concerned. They'll look at in a day or two.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

md
                  United States
                  Member #14047
                  April 20, 2005
                  579 Posts
                  Posted: October 15, 2005, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I'm you're new winner and I am looking at it tonight, 11:30pm.  I would love for a new jackpot winner to be identified, only so people can talk about a new record holder other than Jack W.  The only thing they'll be able to say about me winning is - the new record holder claimed his winning in Trust and has never been heard from since. 

I'll be so incognito, it would be a shame.  lolololololololo

Good luck to all.

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: October 15, 2005, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

i think it has to get past past 314 million to unseat jack and have a new jackpot king...so one more roll......

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: October 15, 2005, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

People talk about Jack Whiteaker because he acted stupid, that made him a stupid winner. If he had won, and acted mature and intelligent, they would have praised him.

Me? I'm not going to know if I win until around 8:00 am. I am going to need a good night sleep. Sunday will be a big day for me. The dream will no longer be a dream, It will be a reality. No sleep until the check is in the bank. Call the kids, tell them to disappear. Have to pack a bag - wash some clothes first. Unplug the phone. Call the limo company. Where is the lotto building? Of yeah, I have a Mapsco map, with precise directions, on the computer - print it. Time to play Alice In Wonderland. So many things to remember. Glad I have already prepared a list!

What? Damn! Forgot to buy a SHirt from Todd. Do that immediately!!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

luckylottolady's avatar - character catafly.jpg

United States
                        Member #6028
                        August 2, 2004
                        53 Posts
                        Posted: October 16, 2005, 2:30 am - IP Logged

i think it will shatter the record set by mega millions. it will get to over 400 million dollars(dont' hold you're breathe,it's just my predictions.but it would be cool)good luck to everyone on here who plays it.. maybe one of us will win it.

United States
                          Member #16612
                          June 2, 2005
                          3493 Posts
                          Posted: October 16, 2005, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I knew it that no one would hit PB on Saturday 10/15. It rolled to 340 million because of the cap rule set by PB for Wednesday 10/19. 13 million are now in the Match 5 bonus pool for Wednesday 10/19. I hope PB rolls on Saturday 10/22 to shatter the North American jackpot record currently held by Mega Millions [formerly The Big Game] of 363 million.

Morrison, IL
                            United States
                            Member #4657
                            May 13, 2004
                            1884 Posts
                            Posted: October 16, 2005, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

If it rolls on Wednesday, it will already break the annuity record by $2 million.  However, it will need to roll Saturday too to break the cash value record of $180 million.

Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: October 16, 2005, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

thanks for the info ryanm.if it rolls over a couple times it would break the all time record.BUT with recent matrix changes to both games we are gonna hit these levels with mega and powerball quite often than we used to......