Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"Taping" in advance & Conspiracy Theories

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 11 years ago by NoCompLotto!.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Louisville, KY
United States
Member #15734
May 20, 2005
203 Posts
Posted: October 18, 2005, 1:23 am - IP Logged

This question comes to mind every time a jackpot gets extraordinarily high.

What if, and I stress "IF", the PB/MM drawings were taped in advance?

For example:

The jackpot is at $250M. Lottery directors hope it rolls over for a bigger JP. Most players hope they hit it, but a few want it to roll, even though they got their numbers, too (they're playing for secondary prizes).

Drawing Time (i.e., MM, Tue., 11pm EST) occurs. This drawing is live. After it is finished & certified, the normal computer checks for JP winners go through, and doesn't find a winner. After everything is tallied, the JP rolls to "$325M".

Under the assumption that an extreme increase in sales will drive the JP higher by the next "drawing time," Lottery officials decide to "pre-tape" the drawing with the inflated JP amount (in this example, $360M). This draw takes place about 5 hours after the previous one, when not many other people would be around to see it. This tape is now stored in the same room (hidden, of course) as the draw equipment, or taken home by someone close to the draw.

Then, crafty programmers, under the direction of high-end lottery officials, get to work. Knowing what numbers will be "drawn," they tweak the QP generators in all the terminals game-wide to NOT produce any JP winners (though they let 5+0 winners go through), thus producing another roll to insane levels of about $500M.

As most players just want to get their tickets and go, they ask for QP's, knowing none the wiser that they have NO CHANCE of winning the JP, only the 5+0 or less.  It's those people that play their own numbers the directors have to worry about. Not to worry, they say... Most JP's are won with QP's, so we don't need to worry.

Then, someone comes along with the numbers that "aren't supposed to be played." The programmers have thought about this, so they tell the terminal to reject the bet slip, or even the manual entry, as a means of "preserving financial integrity by limiting the bets that can be placed on a certain set of numbers." The player gets frustrated, but still wanting to play, they play their numbers again, this time without the mega number they wanted, or get QP's instead.

Sales reach the level that allows the directors to air the "drawing" with no flaws.

Then the next "Draw Time" happens.

As players across the country are checking their tickets, that one little person who would have won with their own numbers is wringing out their tears in the sink because, if the terminal would have let them play the numbers they WANTED to play, they would have won the JP. Instead, they end up with a measly $250,000 (nothing "measly" about that to me, though) or worse, nothing at all because they totally abandoned their numbers and went with the "fixed" QP's instead.

Lottery directors, of course, are jumping for joy because they finally got to an amount they THOUGHT they would get to when the game first started. "Bigger bonus for me!!!!!" they exclaim, knowing they are cheating people out of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Then, they start the process all over again.

I know this would take a lot of work, and an extremely tight lip by lots of people, but do you think it could happen?

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: October 18, 2005, 3:51 am - IP Logged

It's impossible for any trickery, due to the fact that every drawing has independent auditors present to monitor them.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23269 Posts
      Posted: October 18, 2005, 6:21 am - IP Logged

Kind of like Capricorn One.  (Anyone remember that movie?)  There are still people around who think the moon landings were faked also.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Greenwich, CT
        United States
        Member #4793
        May 24, 2004
        1822 Posts
        Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:17 am - IP Logged

"Then, someone comes along with the numbers that "aren't supposed to be played." The programmers have thought about this, so they tell the terminal to reject the bet slip, or even the manual entry, as a means of "preserving financial integrity by limiting the bets that can be placed on a certain set of numbers." The player gets frustrated, but still wanting to play, they play their numbers again, this time without the mega number they wanted, or get QP's instead."

I've never heard of a bet being rejected on a jackpot game...only for Pick 3 or 4. 

Atomic Dog's avatar - sniffer
          Minnesota
          United States
          Member #13028
          March 28, 2005
          870 Posts
          Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:28 am - IP Logged

It's impossible for any trickery, due to the fact that every drawing has independent auditors present to monitor them.

Yeah ... just like there were independent auditors monitoring ENRON for years!  Look what happened there.

Unfortunately, people in HIGH places are the biggest scam artists on Earth and I wouldn't doubt for a second that PB and MM are prerecorded and the numbers fixed. 

Good Luck,

John

BOW WOW WOW ......

...... YIPPY YOH YIPPY YAY!!!

Atlanta
            United States
            Member #15989
            May 24, 2005
            183 Posts
            Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I actually know Glen Burns, the guy that draws the Mega Millions here in Atlanta. He is the local weather man for WSB television. He lives in my neighborhood in Roswell, GA and he has said the security for Mega Millions is amazing. I'll get more details when we go fishing together again.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: October 18, 2005, 10:12 am - IP Logged

I even think the games are rigged (at times, but not often). So lets face it the games are not rigged and for them to do so would be so hard it wouldn't even be funny! The auditors (all of them) would have to be in on it from the start to finish (like the Pennsylvania scandal was way back when). Besides I would hope that the lottery has learned from others mistakes (like Pennsylvania's) about not having just a few auditors doing the job of auditing by having each auditors name in a pool and drawn (lottery style) for that nights duty! This way, no one would know who is going to show up for the duties of auditing the lottery, not even the high up lottery officials!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: October 18, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Kind of like Capricorn One.  (Anyone remember that movie?)  There are still people around who think the moon landings were faked also.

Yep! I'm one of those people. When I was a kid, I saw that movie with my dad on a plane to England.

I've spent a hundred hours or so on this topic, and being the skeptical kind, I found overwhelming evidence that shows deception. Afterall, in wouldn't be the first or last time our government has lied to us.

Don't believe me. Do the research yourself.

http://216.26.168.193/moonmovie/store.asp

Out of all the info I've sifted through, the above link has been the most convincing of all.

Look at the video samples, in all 4 videos.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: October 18, 2005, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

If you are so worried about fake drawings then support the elimination of computerized drawings. If PB were computer drawn you would have no idea how the numbers were chosen or if it was honest. It's far easier to cheat if the method of choosing numbers is an unknown.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: October 18, 2005, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

I also at times believe it is fixed, until I win of one day of course. I don't think they would risk it though, because it could cost them more in lawsuits than any powerball jackpot ever was, if the wrong people found out.

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                      Member #3792
                      February 21, 2004
                      198 Posts
                      Posted: October 18, 2005, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

you think they need to rig it so the jackpot rolls over?  look at the odds to win that thing something like 176 million to 1.  they built the game to be so hard to win so that it does generate huge jackpots.  nobody has to rig it.

Louisville, KY
                        United States
                        Member #15734
                        May 20, 2005
                        203 Posts
                        Posted: October 18, 2005, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I know it doesn't have to be rigged to produce huge JPs, it was just a thought that randomly (no pun intended) occured in my always-thinking-pessimisticly head.

As for computerized drawings, all you have to do is look at my alias (or my signature) to see where I stand.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                          Member #12618
                          March 18, 2005
                          2060 Posts
                          Posted: October 18, 2005, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it's rigged. Just because most people here haven't won a jackpot, doesn't mean that something criminal is going on. It means that the odds are against you for winning.

Dance like no one is watching.

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: October 18, 2005, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I often wonder, if the grassy knoll had been filled in with concrete the year before, would we call it the concrete knoll? Of would Kennedy be alive, because concrete hurts to lay on? Of would the sun, reflecting off the concrete have cause the film to over expose?

Was Mary really pregnant, or was it an adoption scam to get jewels from the three wise men? Would it have worked it is was a cloudy night? What would have happened, had the stable not had a window for the lantern to shine through? Would they have kept walking right on by it?

Conspiracy's only work when the gullible buy into them.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23269 Posts
                              Posted: October 18, 2005, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

you think they need to rig it so the jackpot rolls over?  look at the odds to win that thing something like 176 million to 1.  they built the game to be so hard to win so that it does generate huge jackpots.  nobody has to rig it.

Ding-ding-ding!  That's the answer we've been looking for -- 100% correct! Yes Nod

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!