Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

2 most recent Powerball winners

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Who will turn in their ticket first?

$340 million winner [ 6 ]  [28.57%]
$36 million winner [ 12 ]  [57.14%]
Anybody but Steve West [ 3 ]  [14.29%]
Total Valid Votes [ 21 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
NightTrain1234's avatar - 8ball
a Powerball AND MegaMillions state!
United States
Member #24190
October 20, 2005
78 Posts
Posted: November 3, 2005, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Inquiring minds want to know!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:01 am - IP Logged

$36 million winner of course. Who knows, maybe since it is so small it will go unclaimed.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Who knows. Maybe Mr. West is waiting till the press dies down a bit.

Dance like no one is watching.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: November 3, 2005, 10:34 am - IP Logged

What a lucky $36 million winner, with the press still being on the $340 million win!!

PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: November 3, 2005, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Maybe the lottery decided to let one quick winner sneak in before the next huge jackpot, thus proving the validity of the game...Skeptical

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8393 Posts
            Posted: November 3, 2005, 11:48 am - IP Logged

The lottery didn't let anybody win. Whomever the person/persons who won just happened to have the winning numbers. Which can happen for any powerball draw at anytime the fact that there are tremendous odds doesn't mean small jackpots won't be won? Every jackpot isn't going to go 12 or more times without being hit.

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 3, 2005, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Well that was the whole point of them increasing the odds wasn't it? For more roll overs, and more sales. Personally I would not mind winning a smaller jackpot after the hype of the $360 million one. As long as that ticket remains unclaimed, no one is going to give a crap about my measly $36 million.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8393 Posts
                Posted: November 3, 2005, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Na this is big news now the cat is out of the bag by telling people he won put the media all over this. And the mere fact it was the largest powerball pot since Ol Jack won made whomever won a media scape goat.

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: November 3, 2005, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I think the $340 million will claim the ticket first. The $36 million will take its time to cash it in.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

Missouri (where the $36 million ticket was sold) is unusual for MUSL in that a winner from there has 60 days from the DRAWING (instead of from when the ticket is claimed) in which to choose cash or annuity.

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Na this is big news now the cat is out of the bag by telling people he won put the media all over this. And the mere fact it was the largest powerball pot since Ol Jack won made whomever won a media scape goat.

True. I think he has made it worse by going to the press, but not validating his ticket. He should of held off on the press until he validated the ticket and then stayed quiet.

United States
                        Member #12618
                        March 18, 2005
                        2060 Posts
                        Posted: November 3, 2005, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Maybe the lottery decided to let one quick winner sneak in before the next huge jackpot, thus proving the validity of the game...Skeptical

The lottery doesn't get to decide who or when somebody wins. They have no control over that.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8393 Posts
                          Posted: November 3, 2005, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Well that was the whole point of them increasing the odds wasn't it? For more roll overs, and more sales. Personally I would not mind winning a smaller jackpot after the hype of the $360 million one. As long as that ticket remains unclaimed, no one is going to give a crap about my measly $36 million.

Well, yes and no it's what they hoped for. But the lottery officials got all panic stricken when a few people won consecutive pots in a short period of time. A lot of the possible winning tickets probably were generated when the big pots were running and people bought extended plays. Like I do when I travel to DC to play the big pots I usually get as many advance tickets that I can afford so I don't have to travel there for each draw.

So sales fell of and they must have been brainstorming really hard because they announced the changes they were going to make and mega millions lottery fell into the same groove and said they would make changes to their drawings. So what are they going to do if more people start winning the smaller pots change them to another astronomical odd based drawing. As popularity for these games continues to take off and people try and or discover that by wheeling some numbers they might win. More and more serious lottery players will evolve. And many of them might find different ways to win.

I'm pretty sure that lottery officials talk about these thing also in there board meetings. I suspect they are hoping no one will come up with a winning solution to trapping the winning combinations in an affordable wheel. If I came up with a wheel that would for say 500 bucks trap 5 numbers then I could easily get 5 guys to pitch in 100 a piece.

So even though they increased the odds doesn't mean that smaller pots won't be won. Fortunately for us or unfortunately for them. They could sell the winning quick pick for any draw as well as those whom pick their own numbers. Isn't that what we hope they'll do? And they hope they won't sell a winning jackpot ticket.

Personally I'd like to win a big pot but will be happy to have won a small pot. Not to many people I know walking around saying I just won the jackpot for any lottery drawing.

PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: November 3, 2005, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Apparently some here have difficulty defining "sarcasm." Nonetheless, I am still skeptical about the lottery, although not a real lot. As long as I am not there at the headquarters, there will always be at least some skepticism. You just never know what could be going on between the scenes. Course if I win, well then that is a different story...

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: November 3, 2005, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

I just hope I win before they decide to add more balls and make it even more impossible. I really don't want to buy another 6 pack of ping-pong balls. With all the various frequencies of the hits, it makes you wonder just how accurate the "odds" are. Personally I have little faith in their odds analogy. It could be a lot better than that, or a lot worse.