Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

2 most recent Powerball winners

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Who will turn in their ticket first?

$340 million winner [ 6 ]  [28.57%]
$36 million winner [ 12 ]  [57.14%]
Anybody but Steve West [ 3 ]  [14.29%]
Total Valid Votes [ 21 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
Morrison, IL
United States
Member #4657
May 13, 2004
1884 Posts
Posted: November 3, 2005, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

The lottery didn't let anybody win. Whomever the person/persons who won just happened to have the winning numbers. Which can happen for any powerball draw at anytime the fact that there are tremendous odds doesn't mean small jackpots won't be won? Every jackpot isn't going to go 12 or more times without being hit.

Every Mega Millions jackpot this year has gone 11 or more times without being hit.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: November 3, 2005, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

The lottery didn't let anybody win. Whomever the person/persons who won just happened to have the winning numbers. Which can happen for any powerball draw at anytime the fact that there are tremendous odds doesn't mean small jackpots won't be won? Every jackpot isn't going to go 12 or more times without being hit.

Every Mega Millions jackpot this year has gone 11 or more times without being hit.

Hey your right since the new matrix. However last November it was hit quite often and you voiced your opinion about how many times it was hit in such a short time frame.

When I say it can be hit on any draw what's so hard to understand about that.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: November 3, 2005, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Even the last four MM jackpots won before the new matrix were the result of at least 11 rolls.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: November 3, 2005, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Apparently some here have difficulty defining "sarcasm." Nonetheless, I am still skeptical about the lottery, although not a real lot. As long as I am not there at the headquarters, there will always be at least some skepticism. You just never know what could be going on between the scenes. Course if I win, well then that is a different story...

I'm not being sarcastic I'm being realistic.

Integrity of the game sounds like a conspiracy to me now that would be sarcastic.
        (I have voiced my opinion on this many times I have no doubt they are legit. I don't think any group or individual would be stupid enough to try and rig either on of these games). (one main reason is individuals whom work for the games and their family are not allowed to participate in the drawing cant claim a winning ticket). prohibited from playing. The security in force for these games is way beyond someone's ability to rig the game. switch balls, etc., to many people involved in the security.

Powerball and mega millions do more to insure the games are as legitimate as possible in fact the games are probably audited better than the finances in your banking institution.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: November 3, 2005, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I guess I just still have demented thoughts after those few "insiders" rigged the daily number in my state many years ago. Although I agree things have gotten much more 'secure' since then. You are right though, why would they try and rip us off? The IRS will do that.

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: November 3, 2005, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I guess I just still have demented thoughts after those few "insiders" rigged the daily number in my state many years ago. Although I agree things have gotten much more 'secure' since then. You are right though, why would they try and rip us off? The IRS will do that.

Oh I'm sure that it bummed out a whole group of people especially the old timers. When I heard about it I thought well what's the use in playing. Just because they got caught that time who knows how many times they actually got away with it.

Hence after that happened the various lotteries implement different control measures to prevent it from happening again. Now the security measures are somewhat standardized.

As for being ripped off.... the lottery is a money making machine that's why they have it under state control they don't want the common folk to run lotteries. They took the illegal game off the street so to speak and made it legal. I'm sure there are still small time bookies in PA as is everywhere else.

And the gov. is making money hand over fist on just about everything connected to living here.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: November 6, 2005, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Hmm - just typed a post and it disappeared! Well, what I wrote was that I doubt if the games are rigged, but I don't like the way they're always changing. A few years ago, when FL increased the numbers to 53, I felt cheated, as if all my previous plays were wiped out, since the odds were increased dramatically. Then they started to have 2 draws each week, which forces someone who plays the same numbers to spend more. Although the odds are astronomical, someone who bets every Sat certainly wouldn't want to skip Wed. This is another reason Quick Picks are better. You don't know what you didn't bet! Once I didn't buy my tickets in advance and I fell asleep after work. Fortunately only 3 of my numbers were picked, so not winning $3.50 isn't a big deal. I'm not sure I believe all the rumors about the people who didn't play their regular numbers and they came up. The odds of winning are so great that the odds of skipping one night and losing must be even higher. However, an 81 year old lady I worked with this year swore on the Bible and her family that it happened to her. Actually, she changed one number and won $5,000 instead of $15 million, but that would have driven me over the edge. I still wonder about these stories.  I've been playing state games for over 30 years and only know a handful of big winners. NH had what we called a sweepstakes drawing well before lotteries were so common to raise revenue for education. 

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2005, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Why is/are the MO winner(s) stalling? The 60-day deadline to choose cash will come and go before we know it.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49699 Posts
                  Posted: December 3, 2005, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Hmm - just typed a post and it disappeared! Well, what I wrote was that I doubt if the games are rigged, but I don't like the way they're always changing. A few years ago, when FL increased the numbers to 53, I felt cheated, as if all my previous plays were wiped out, since the odds were increased dramatically. Then they started to have 2 draws each week, which forces someone who plays the same numbers to spend more. Although the odds are astronomical, someone who bets every Sat certainly wouldn't want to skip Wed. This is another reason Quick Picks are better. You don't know what you didn't bet! Once I didn't buy my tickets in advance and I fell asleep after work. Fortunately only 3 of my numbers were picked, so not winning $3.50 isn't a big deal. I'm not sure I believe all the rumors about the people who didn't play their regular numbers and they came up. The odds of winning are so great that the odds of skipping one night and losing must be even higher. However, an 81 year old lady I worked with this year swore on the Bible and her family that it happened to her. Actually, she changed one number and won $5,000 instead of $15 million, but that would have driven me over the edge. I still wonder about these stories.  I've been playing state games for over 30 years and only know a handful of big winners. NH had what we called a sweepstakes drawing well before lotteries were so common to raise revenue for education. 

Over the years every Lottery State has added more Games and/or Drawings to their lineup.

The end result is a Nation of Gamblers. Thud 

United States
                    Member #9579
                    December 12, 2004
                    2121 Posts
                    Posted: December 3, 2005, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

36 mil,just pocket change to some,personally i wished the lottery would let 100 winners for 3 million each,then we'd have a CHANCE!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: December 3, 2005, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

I think 36 million is more then pocket change to most, I wouldn't want a 100 winners for a 3 million jackpot. No one would be able to retire off of that.

Dance like no one is watching.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: December 3, 2005, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

$36 million is pocket change!!?  Yeah, maybe to some greedy CEO's who get severance pay equal to that of the average Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot but still can't retire because they develop lifestyles where they can't live off that much money their whole lives while the rest of us will never see that much money in our whole lives!!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: December 3, 2005, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I would not complain about $3million in the least! Even at a low 5% return that would be about  $10,000 a month. That more than most make a year where I live! So I would be retiring real well, especially considering I would not even spend more than about $1,500-$2,000 tops!

United States
                            Member #24439
                            October 22, 2005
                            638 Posts
                            Posted: December 3, 2005, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I think 36 million is more then pocket change to most, I wouldn't want a 100 winners for a 3 million jackpot. No one would be able to retire off of that.

Yes. But some will not see that much ever.

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: December 3, 2005, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

$3 million after taxes may be enough for some to retire, assuming they don't have kids.