Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"wishes to remain totally anonymous"

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by bellyache.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: November 23, 2005, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

New South Wales, Australia

A local player from Forster has suddenly become an instant millionaire after picking up the entire Division One prize of $1 million in last night’s Lotto draw.

The winner becomes part of the elite 29 Lotto millionaires created so far this year. A grand total 717 Lotto players have become millionaires since Lotto was introduced in 1979.

The winner was delighted with the news but wishes to remain totally anonymous.

md
    United States
    Member #14047
    April 20, 2005
    579 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2005, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

He is a wise person to have the desire to remain anonymous!  He will have to labor at it!  With new found notoriety comes the responsibility to guard his/her and their families interest. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: November 24, 2005, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

If you win $1 million you would be anonymous anyways.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: November 24, 2005, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

It's nice that you can remain anonymous with some lotteries, but that isn't always the case. If it had been a bigger jackpot I bet they wouldn't be.

Dance like no one is watching.

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: November 25, 2005, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Good to hear they have lotteries in OZ and that people win them.  Too bad we don't get some Aussies in to LP occasionally to pep things up.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
            Member #5565
            July 11, 2004
            260 Posts
            Posted: November 26, 2005, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

A woman who won a $65.4 million Powerball jackpot with her husband five years ago was found dead at her home overlooking the Ohio River. Police said she had been dead for days before anyone found her.

Virginia Metcalf Merida's son found her dead Wednesday. Campbell County Police are awaiting autopsy results and toxicology results before announcing a cause of death.

Investigators said there was no sign of forced entry at the 5,000-square-foot, custom-built geodesic dome house that Merida, 51, bought for $559,000 in 2000.

Her husband, Mack Wayne Metcalf, died in 2003 at age 45 while living in a replica of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate built in Corbin. His death followed multiple run-ins with the law in the days following the lottery win.

When they won the jackpot, the couple refused dozens of interview requests but told lottery officials they were going separate ways to fulfill lifelong dreams. Merida was quitting her job making corrugated boxes and planned to buy a home. Metcalf, a forklift operator, wanted to start a new life in Australia.

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2005/11/26/271500.html

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: November 26, 2005, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

A woman who won a $65.4 million Powerball jackpot with her husband five years ago was found dead at her home overlooking the Ohio River. Police said she had been dead for days before anyone found her.

I wonder what she died from. Maybe she was murdered?

Dance like no one is watching.

md
                United States
                Member #14047
                April 20, 2005
                579 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2005, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I hate to hear this type of stories! The love of money can reveal the deep rotten issues within a heart that has been left to corrode and corrupt.

United States
                  Member #5565
                  July 11, 2004
                  260 Posts
                  Posted: November 26, 2005, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

This link has a picture of her unique home.  Other articles say that she's been dead for five days. Sad story.  No one hardly knew her or knew of her.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051126/NEWS0103/511260369/1077/rss02

United States
                    Member #23787
                    October 16, 2005
                    68 Posts
                    Posted: November 26, 2005, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Here is what I found about July 22, 2000 when they won

Mack Metcalf, 42, and his wife, Virginia Metcalf Merida, 46, will split their winnings 60/40. Both plan to immediately quit their jobs. Mack has been a forklift driver for Johnson Controls in Florence the last two-and-a-half years. Virginia has worked as a corrugator for Indy Homeycomb in Highland Heights for two years. Mack is moving to Australia and buying several houses, while Virginia still hasn't decided what to do with her portion.

It seems that they did not choose annonymity. Annonymity seems to be the best way alongwith some desire to learn how to handle the richness.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: November 26, 2005, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I've read many stories about lottery winners who are broke or committed suicide, etc. One site has a long list. These tales are very sad as is the suffering of anyone. But sad stories are part of everyday life and reading about starving children is a heck of a lot more upsetting than hearing about rich people whose lives were destroyed, especially after this year's hurricane season. I believe most people would benefit from winning $65M.  If it's too much pressure, then build a couple of homeless shelters or rape crisis centers (maybe a no-kill animal rescue center?) and keep a little for yourself to be comfortable.  Some so-called experts say winning money makes people miserable and often breaks up marriages and families. However, if that's the case, the relationship wasn't built on solid ground in the first place. I hope I don't sound as if I'm lecturing or resentful. I'm the last one to be telling anyone how to live.  It's just that a lot of money would help me and many others I know pay off debts, buy a nice home and enjoy a new freedom that comes with knowing you don't have to worry about losing your job or affording good health care. So when I hear about all the "problems" rich people have and the troubles money creates, I just shake my head and say "just give me the chance to see how miserable a few million bucks will make me." As far as being alone goes, I don't think 5 days is so unusual.

Regarding anonymity, I think you can do your best to keep a low profile, but you can't really hide if you win a lottery.  Most states require that the names be published. Most local news stations will try to find out who won if the ticket was sold in your town unless there's a lot of juicy news to report that week. Even if you create an LLC or Trust with a new FEIN, your social security number will be searched for past debts, tax liens, child support, judgments, etc. before you get a dime.  That's why it's so important to get good legal advice and keep quiet.  

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                        Carters Lake, Ga.
                        United States
                        Member #5313
                        June 29, 2004
                        1065 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2005, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

It is very hard to keep people from knowing when you win money. I know, this happened to me in 1995.

I was on a project in California and won about $500,000. I called home and told my Mother and my Dad about my good fortune and told them to find a home they liked when I got back I would buy it for them. My Dad passed away before I got home but I bought my Mom a house and paid all her bills. They were the only people I told.

We live in a small town of about 30,000 people. I have lived there all my life. When I came back everyone knew I had won some money. Some of my friends told me people were saying I had won $10 million! My ex-wife called and said she deserved at least a million. We had been divorced over 10 years!! Some of what I thought were my friends wanted money. The pastor thought it would be the right thing for me to build a new church! 

I bought the house for Mom, bought the farm where I live now on Carters Lake and me a new truck and retired.

My point is, not only is it hard to keep it quite when you win, it is hard to keep the rumors from getting started about how much you win. I won 1/2  million and it got stretched to 10 million!

ez

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 26, 2005, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Yea sure for every 1,000 happy stories there will be a few horror ones. But every case is completely individual. As in anything in life, there will be good and bad regardless of the subject.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                            PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: November 26, 2005, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

It is very hard to keep people from knowing when you win money. I know, this happened to me in 1995.

I was on a project in California and won about $500,000. I called home and told my Mother and my Dad about my good fortune and told them to find a home they liked when I got back I would buy it for them. My Dad passed away before I got home but I bought my Mom a house and paid all her bills. They were the only people I told.

We live in a small town of about 30,000 people. I have lived there all my life. When I came back everyone knew I had won some money. Some of my friends told me people were saying I had won $10 million! My ex-wife called and said she deserved at least a million. We had been divorced over 10 years!! Some of what I thought were my friends wanted money. The pastor thought it would be the right thing for me to build a new church! 

I bought the house for Mom, bought the farm where I live now on Carters Lake and me a new truck and retired.

My point is, not only is it hard to keep it quite when you win, it is hard to keep the rumors from getting started about how much you win. I won 1/2  million and it got stretched to 10 million!

ez

I believe I deserve at least $2.5 million.

Also, I have already added an extra $5 million to your supposed winnings, and have told several people already that you have won $15 million. It has already spread around rapidly, and has gotten back to me within minutes. Someone asked me if I heard about that guy who won $50 million dollars from Carters Lake.

I said yes, I think so. But I heard it was around $75 million. They said no kidding? $100 million eh? Yup....$120 million. CASH.

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                              Carters Lake, Ga.
                              United States
                              Member #5313
                              June 29, 2004
                              1065 Posts
                              Posted: November 26, 2005, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

That is the way it went!!

Sometimes I even day dream about what it would have been like if I had won a lot of money!

Sirbrad your check is in the mail!Big Smile

ez