Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"wishes to remain totally anonymous"

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by bellyache.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #23787
October 16, 2005
68 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2005, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Although there are many articles/news items/suggestions on what to do when one wins big.. But there are things which many people ignore. Sure, hiring/consulting a lawyer will help but it will not help to improve ones attitude/behavior which puts one in trouble. What it means is that it will save you from others but not from yourself. Lawyer will help one hide  ones dark side but it will drain ones money. So the summary is one needs both a lawyer and ones own attitude to survive in long term.
Next advice is to hire/consult financial planner. In this case also if you are not yourself financial literate, chances are that financial planner's advice will ruin you (if he is not very close/known to you). His rating will not suffer because his advice bankrupted you because no one will believe a loser. Financial planner would like to make a fast profit out of ones ignorance. So where does this leave one? I think that there are few things one can try to do. Learn/try to gain as much financial litercay as possible in a reasonable amount of time. Also one should create/find/discover few good people in profession financial/legal who can be part of their inner circle and they should not only be his advisors but a friend also in which he can trust.

United States
    Member #5565
    July 11, 2004
    260 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2005, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

The other interesting thing about the story was how they refused requests for interviews.  Is there only a small number of media outlets, AP, UPI, etc., for which the lottery operators can force a winner to submit for interviews?

"When they won the jackpot, the couple refused dozens of interview requests but told lottery officials they were going separate ways to fulfill lifelong dreams."

Australia
      Member #17096
      June 11, 2005
      225 Posts
      Posted: December 1, 2005, 3:49 am - IP Logged

"I called home and told my Mother and my Dad about my good fortune and told them to find a home they liked when I got back I would buy it for them. They were the only people I told."

That is enough to spread the news. If I win, I will never tell my Mom, I love her, but she can not keep a secret. It is too much to put on parents, they would be happy and tell their best friends, in confidence, but that will also tell their best friends, and before you know it, everyone knows.

The answer is to keep mum, pardon the pun.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: December 1, 2005, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

I would tell my mother, but I have a feeling should would tell some of my other relatives. That's ok because I have the ability to say no. ;)

Dance like no one is watching.