Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ohio Rolling Cash5 rolls to $556,000.00

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CalifDude.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19903 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2005, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Ohioan have bought tickets for the Canadian lottery through the mail and that is illegal, that's is a federal law.   A couple featured on Columbus 10TV news claimed to have done that and won a jackpot but I never heard if the state or federal government ever filed charges or if they changed their story to traveling to Canada to buy the tickets.  I'm sure they paid state and federal taxes regardless.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2005, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

Ohioan have bought tickets for the Canadian lottery through the mail and that is illegal, that's is a federal law.   A couple featured on Columbus 10TV news claimed to have done that and won a jackpot but I never heard if the state or federal government ever filed charges or if they changed their story to traveling to Canada to buy the tickets.  I'm sure they paid state and federal taxes regardless.

Yes, sending money via U.S. Mail for the purchase of a lottery ticket is illegal.  That was part of one of the very long discussions here on LP.  Someone pointed out that PayPal stopped accepting payments from someone if that payment was for gambling (including buying of lottery tickets).  I don't know if that is true or not, but it makes sense.  I looked at the Revised Code for the state of Ohio and I don't see where it specifically says you have to be a resident of Ohio to purchase or make a claim for a lottery ticket.  It does talk about serving the citizens of Ohio, but I didn't see where it said it was only for residents.  In California for a large prize you must prove that you are a resident of California. 

Of course, I still don't see how I can play the Pick 5 in Ohio since I would have to get the money to my sister somehow!  I wonder if using Western Union would be legal. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2005, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Receiving lottery tickets through the mail is the part that is illegal.  No body send money through the mail with Western Union, credit cards and money orders being available.  Send your sister a check, money order or western union with the money.  If you win you will have to come to Ohio to claim the jackpot or have her claim it, paid the taxes and send you the rest minus a fee for her troubles.

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #3489
        January 25, 2004
        14120 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2005, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Receiving lottery tickets through the mail is the part that is illegal.  No body send money through the mail with Western Union, credit cards and money orders being available.  Send your sister a check, money order or western union with the money.  If you win you will have to come to Ohio to claim the jackpot or have her claim it, paid the taxes and send you the rest minus a fee for her troubles.

Once again you are talking about something you do not understand.  Here is 18 USC 1302 concerning mailing material concerning a lottery:

Whoever knowingly deposits in the mail, or sends or delivers by mail:
        Any letter, package, postal card, or circular concerning any lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance;
        Any lottery ticket or part thereof, or paper, certificate, or instrument purporting to be or to represent a ticket, chance, share, or interest in or dependent upon the event of a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance;
        Any check, draft, bill, money, postal note, or money order, for the purchase of any ticket or part thereof, or of any share or chance in any such lottery, gift enterprise, or scheme;
        Any newspaper, circular, pamphlet, or publication of any kind containing any advertisement of any lottery, gift enterprise, or scheme of any kind offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance, or containing any list of the prizes drawn or awarded by means of any such lottery, gift enterprise, or scheme, whether said list contains any part or all of such prizes;
        Any article described in section 1953 of this title—
        Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both; and for any subsequent offense shall be imprisoned not more than five years.
          RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19903 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2005, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I guess you are just out of luck as far as playing your numbers in an out of state pick5 game, but you still have your friends and sister to play your numbers and hopefully they will like you enough to share their winnings with you even if you can't legally share their cost.  Good luck to you and them.

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #3489
            January 25, 2004
            14120 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2005, 2:28 am - IP Logged

I guess you are just out of luck as far as playing your numbers in an out of state pick5 game, but you still have your friends and sister to play your numbers and hopefully they will like you enough to share their winnings with you even if you can't legally share their cost.  Good luck to you and them.

I won't be able to play Ohio on Saturday, but thank you.