Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Giving out lottery tickets for Christmas?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 years ago by angelm.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
Member #12618
March 18, 2005
2060 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2005, 3:13 am - IP Logged

Yeah Iesha I can see giving lottery tickets as stocking stuffers or as part of another gift. Stocking stuffers don't seem so tacky, my mother has done it for me. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2005, 3:28 am - IP Logged

I probably won't, not because I don't want to see my family winning and me not winning, but because they're already pretty sure I'm obsessed with the lottery. And if I give them tickets as presents, they'll start thinking I have an addiction (they don't know anything about addictions, as you can see).

(insert signature here)

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2005, 5:03 am - IP Logged

Ok well lets turn this all around. How do you feel about getting lottery tickets as gifts? Personally I would not mind at all. So if someone plays the lottery as a hobby, is that more justifiable? Yes I have received them along with other packages in the past, never alone. Funny how a losing ticket is considered detrimental, but if it was a huge winner it would probably be in the news.

Baton Rouge, LA
        United States
        Member #4602
        May 7, 2004
        700 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2005, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I've never given lottery tickets as a Christmas present to anyone other than my wife. The Louisiana Lottery usually has a Christmas theme scratch off in December and a turkey them scratch off around Thanksgiving so when I go to the convenience store for a newspaper I'll pick one up for her.

At my job, we have a gift exchange in which we pass around a list of what everyone wants not over a certain dollar value, then we draw a name of who we're going to get a gift for. I usually put lottery scratch offs as one of my options. I asked for gift cards to 3 stores one year and got a card for a totally different store. After that, I decided to always put lottery tickets since they can be bought on just about every corner here and I won't get a card to a store I don't want or get useless junk that will just clutter up my house.

PrisonerSix

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          700 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2005, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I've never given lottery tickets as a Christmas present to anyone other than my wife. The Louisiana Lottery usually has a Christmas theme scratch off in December and a turkey them scratch off around Thanksgiving so when I go to the convenience store for a newspaper I'll pick one up for her.

At my job, we have a gift exchange in which we pass around a list of what everyone wants not over a certain dollar value, then we draw a name of who we're going to get a gift for. I usually put lottery scratch offs as one of my options. I asked for gift cards to 3 stores one year and got a card for a totally different store. After that, I decided to always put lottery tickets since they can be bought on just about every corner here and I won't get a card to a store I don't want or get useless junk that will just clutter up my house.

PrisonerSix

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8797 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2005, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I gave out lottery tickets one time. I bought a quick pick with 5 lines. Copied the quick picks to a play slip and all the rest qot a ticket with the same exact lines.
            If it was a winner everyone won.

Oo'Ka

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #1340
              April 6, 2003
              2450 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2005, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't give lottery tickets as a gift, because they usually lose. I have one exception, in addition to the present for my grandmother, I usually add in some scratch-off tickets because she likes them.

for her 75th birthday we got together and gave her a "scratch-off tree" small tree in a planter with about 100 rub-offs attached to the branches, and a "professional scratcher", a penny embedded into a cork handle (gag gift at a lottery/smoke shop). she had a blast and if I remember correctly made about $174!

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2005, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

I guess it was not that obvious to him, as he rarely ever played the lottery. I still like the one episode on Full House where they use an old tape of a previous drawing to make Joey think that his ticket won, which they then reveal their joke and Jesse throws it in the fireplace I think, only for Joey to say that there was no tape in the VCR, and reversed the entire joke on them! That gave me an idea to want to try something like that out on my gambling addict friend.

By placing a tape into his VCR about 10 minutes prior to the actual drawing, commercials and all, of the previous drawing. Of course I would already have played the numbers that did come up for that drawing, so they all would match of course. Hopefully he would not notice the date of the ticket right away, but if he did not see the last drawing, it could still work. I noticed they do not always say the dates on TV, but sometimes they do. I did not try the plan though, as I know he would have been highly ticked, but rolling in laughter later.

Just my luck though that the jackpot numbers would repeat themselves for the first time ever in lottery history, and he would have the last laugh.

Anyone see Matchstick Men with Nicholas Cage? There was a lottery scam in the movie. I hate it when people give away info on movies, but this won't spoil the flick.  The scam was to purchase a lottery ticket on the 22nd of the month with the winning numbers of the 2nd. Then the 2 on the ticket was carefully scratched off the date. The con artist, a cute teenage girl, drops the ticket in a laundromat and pretends she doesn't notice. When a very nice, honest lady realizes she won $300 (or thinks she does because the date was altered) she's very excited but insists on splitting the prize with the girl who dropped it. She says something like she doesn't want her Mom to find out and she's also a minor. So the lady, who probably is using her grocery money, withdraws $150 from an ATM. 

This has nothing to do with giving away a ticket for Christmas, but this post made me think of it.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                  North Dakota
                  United States
                  Member #13397
                  April 5, 2005
                  1623 Posts
                  Posted: December 3, 2005, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

I've given my mother a scratch off ($10) holiday scratch off and she was thrilled.  Of course I gave her another gift.  In my opinion they are great stocking stuffers;however, I don't think they make great gifts. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: December 3, 2005, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

I've gotten scratch-off's for X-mas, but given the choice I'd rather have money so I can buy my own lottery tickets of my chosing. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

luckieStarr's avatar - darven
                      philadelphia,PA
                      United States
                      Member #27080
                      November 26, 2005
                      507 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2005, 11:33 am - IP Logged

When I give out lottery tickets its a ticket (number) where I buy one for them and two for me...if its a scratach off...oh,wellNo No

Leaving  Keep It In until It Wins!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2005, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I don't give out lottery tickets as holiday gifts for a couple reasons.

1.  They only last a few seconds, as opposed to a movie or CD, which can last a lifetime.

2.  What if nobody wins anything?  Then you've spent all that money, and technically not given anyone anything for the holiday.

Lottery tickets make nice presents for those that you are not really close with, but for family and close friends, you want to get them something that will last more than a few seconds. 

My reasons for not giving tickets as the gift..

I might include one as a gift tag..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2005, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

In NY give Mega Millions tickets and/or Instant Take Five scratch tickets ($1 each) as gifts. Do NOT buy a NY Lotto subscription as the payout is only 40%.

Elsewhere all games are good except MA Megabucks, OR Lose for Life, PA Unlucky for Life, and various annuity-only scratch games (including lifetime prizes).

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4580 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2005, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

TnTea-excellent idea to use them as gift tags!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2005, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Yeah just don't sign your name on the back.