Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Georgia vs Lotto South

Topic closed. 47 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Should the GA Lottery drop Lotto South?

Yes - Bring back Lotto Georgia [ 17 ]  [68.00%]
No - Keep Lotto South [ 7 ]  [28.00%]
Other (please explain) [ 1 ]  [4.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coastal Georgia
United States
Member #2653
October 30, 2003
1866 Posts
Posted: December 25, 2005, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

Lotto South has not been hit since Sep 17th

28 rollovers and the JP is only 26 MM ?

Die, LS, Die !!!!!

I prefer Fantasy 5 myself.

DD

Alabama
    United States
    Member #17830
    June 27, 2005
    309 Posts
    Posted: December 25, 2005, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Lotto South has not been hit since Sep 17th

28 rollovers and the JP is only 26 MM ?

Die, LS, Die !!!!!

I prefer Fantasy 5 myself.

DD

I Agree!

Although I too prefer Fantasy 5 (actually I like Florida F5 better - lower odds!), I would definetly play quite a bit of Lotto Georgia, if the game returns in its original format.  I can't spend 8 hours on a weekend round trip to the Florida state line, but ~ 3 hours round trip to Georgia isn't bad - especially on a Saturday morning breakfast run.

Thanks for your comments!

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
      North Dakota
      United States
      Member #13397
      April 5, 2005
      1623 Posts
      Posted: December 25, 2005, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

konane said:

"We are a hub for I-20 going from where it comes off I-95 in Florence SC, west past Dallas Texas where it dovetails with I-10 west onto Los Angeles..."

And doesn't I-24 going from Nashville to Chattanooga run through part of Northern Georgia?

I-24 and I-59 intersect with I-75 in Chattanooga and does dip into Georgia . Busy corner of the state I don't travel into much at all, especially that corner ... been several out of state winners from that area so money flowing in. .... that giant sucking sound which has supported our lottery from its inception. We're grateful for all donations no matter where they're from!!! Big Grin Santa

We also have I-16 which goes from Macon to Savannah, linking to I-95. There is also I-675 which connects I-285 from the east and feeds onto I-75 south to alleviate some traffic on the southeast side.

Hey you can get to anywhere in Atlanta, that's why we have so many people doing just that!!

I live on the border of AL/GA/TN and yes there are lots of players crossing into GA from AL and before the TN lottery started TN did.  However, now TN has almost every game GA has the sucking has mostly stopped from TN atleast.  (Not from AL though). 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Alabama
        United States
        Member #17830
        June 27, 2005
        309 Posts
        Posted: December 25, 2005, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Tnplayer805 said:

"However, now TN has almost every game GA has the sucking has mostly stopped from TN atleast."

But perhaps an inbetween jackpot game like Lotto Georgia, with a bit lower odds than Lotto South, would generate some new interest from the TN folks, especially if it was drawn once per week.  What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!  Care to share how you voted?

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
          North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2005, 1:17 am - IP Logged

I admit a lot of people from TN goes to GA for MM but a lot of people from GA come to TN for PB.  I voted for Lotto GA.  I wish TN would offer an instate 6/46 game.  I would play it before powerball anyday.  (But that's just me)

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Alabama
            United States
            Member #17830
            June 27, 2005
            309 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2005, 2:09 am - IP Logged

I admit a lot of people from TN goes to GA for MM but a lot of people from GA come to TN for PB.  I voted for Lotto GA.  I wish TN would offer an instate 6/46 game.  I would play it before powerball anyday.  (But that's just me)

No, it's not just you.  I do spend a little on Power Ball and Mega Millions when I get to a state that has them (or via Prime Ticket Service), but I can tell you that if they do reinstate the original Lotto Georgia, less than 1% of my lottery budget will be spent on PB or MM.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2005, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I agree 100% with you all. Lotto South was a good experiment while it lasted, but I think it's time these states got back their own in-state jackpot games back, particularly Georgia. Lotto Georgia's only real flaw was it's once per week drawings, but that was it. And whether or not it stays once a week, I think it should come back. At the same time, while I realize the desire for a 6/46 game is there, I get the feeling that targeting the mega-bazillion dollar jackpot seekers will only doom Lotto GA again. That why I also think the prize structure should be changed to allow for larger lower tier prizes (along the amounts Lotto South has now). That would allow for a perfect fit between the niches of Fantasy 5 and Mega Millions. Now for more detail:

Pick 6 from 46 (like the good 'ol days).

Drawings Twice A Week on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

All Payouts Pari-Mutuel

Avg. Prize
              % Of Sales
              Odds
              Match 6
              Jackpot
              27%
              1 : 9,366,819
              Match 5
              $1,100
              3%
              1 : 39,028.4
              Match 4
              $70
              9%
              1 : 800.6
              Match 3
              $5
              11%
              1 : 47.4

Overall Odds : 1 in 44

That's just my opinion though.

(insert signature here)

Alabama
                United States
                Member #17830
                June 27, 2005
                309 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2005, 2:38 am - IP Logged

I agree 100% with you all. Lotto South was a good experiment while it lasted, but I think it's time these states got back their own in-state jackpot games back, particularly Georgia. Lotto Georgia's only real flaw was it's once per week drawings, but that was it. And whether or not it stays once a week, I think it should come back. At the same time, while I realize the desire for a 6/46 game is there, I get the feeling that targeting the mega-bazillion dollar jackpot seekers will only doom Lotto GA again. That why I also think the prize structure should be changed to allow for larger lower tier prizes (along the amounts Lotto South has now). That would allow for a perfect fit between the niches of Fantasy 5 and Mega Millions. Now for more detail:

Pick 6 from 46 (like the good 'ol days).

Drawings Twice A Week on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

All Payouts Pari-Mutuel

Avg. Prize
                % Of Sales
                Odds
                Match 6
                Jackpot
                27%
                1 : 9,366,819
                Match 5
                $1,100
                3%
                1 : 39,028.4
                Match 4
                $70
                9%
                1 : 800.6
                Match 3
                $5
                11%
                1 : 47.4

Overall Odds : 1 in 44

That's just my opinion though.

Excellent comments, Jimmy! Thanks for sharing them.  I like your suggested payout scale.  I agree with you that targeting the mega-bazillion dollar jackpot seekers will only doom Lotto GA again.

I'd prefer that the drawing be held once per week, however I'd be thrilled to have Lotto Georgia back even with two drawings per week.

Alabama
                  United States
                  Member #17830
                  June 27, 2005
                  309 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2005, 2:50 am - IP Logged

they should just pull the plug on 'ol lotto south.he has cancer all over his game.its on life support and no one seems to care.its inhumane for it to have to suffer like this when it could just be put out of its misery.just pull the plug on it georgia so it can go in peace.......

here lies lotto south
                                                        born-2001
                                                        dead-2006

I Agree!

Thanks for your comments, Mike!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2005, 7:10 am - IP Logged

they should just pull the plug on 'ol lotto south.he has cancer all over his game.its on life support and no one seems to care.its inhumane for it to have to suffer like this when it could just be put out of its misery.just pull the plug on it georgia so it can go in peace.......

here lies lotto south
                                                          born-2001
                                                          dead-2006

I Agree!

Thanks for your comments, Mike!

thanks,now that i think about it i would love to have an in state lotto tennessee.....

konane's avatar - wallace
                      Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3333 Posts
                      Posted: December 26, 2005, 8:15 am - IP Logged

One thought that occurred to me this morning is that Ms. DeFrancisco may be waiting until Tennessee commits to some sort of in state lotto type game before making significant 6 number game changes here.

Her improvements in Georgia have been well considered and quite sound, creating a win/win situation for all .... light years better than when she took the helm.

Hey I believe that since Rebecca Paul loved Lotto South so much  that she unmercifully killed Lotto Georgia for us, she should pick it up in Tennessee and be the one to personally nurse it back to health.   Big Grin 

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                        Member #5565
                        July 11, 2004
                        260 Posts
                        Posted: December 26, 2005, 10:47 am - IP Logged

Mr. Bobb.......what does it matter in the big scheme of things to you? A lottery is a lottery, no matter the state or group of states. At least you get a choice to play which is all people want.

I respectfully disagree that "a lottery is a lottery."  I choose to play lower odds games and I liked the format of Lotto Georgia better.   I was a big fan of Lotto Georgia and really enjoyed playing it.  So did lots of other folks.

I don't have sales figures for Lotto South in front of me, but as konane pointed out earlier in this thread, sales certainly aren't skyrocketing.  And it's certainly interesgting that Kentucky is considering dropping Lotto South.

Thank you for your comments!

You can review the annual reports at the GLC web site.

http://www.galottery.com/gen/aboutUs/lotteryReports.jsp?focus=aboutus 

They seem to be following the same pattern as Virginia and other states.  The growth in sales is primarily in instant games and Mega Millions.  Everything is roughly the same or down slightly from 3 years ago.  The only exceptions are pick-3, which is down 20%, and pick-4, which is up more than 25%.  The odds for the pick-5 and pick-6 games are so high and the rewards for the secondary prizes so small for each that the majority of sales migrate to the game with the highest prize total at the moment.  What remains is a fairly stable amount of sales to a devoted core of players who follow the game and try to figure out an edge.  I don't think the state gains or loses by going back to Ga Lotto or by staying with Lotto South.  It really depends on whether they have a strategy in evolving the game toward incorporating more states or in adapting the game to attract more sales.  If Lotto South were to stay, I'd like to see both the 1st and 2nd prize be increased each time no one wins the jackpot. 

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: December 26, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Mr. Bobb.......what does it matter in the big scheme of things to you? A lottery is a lottery, no matter the state or group of states. At least you get a choice to play which is all people want.

I respectfully disagree that "a lottery is a lottery."  I choose to play lower odds games and I liked the format of Lotto Georgia better.   I was a big fan of Lotto Georgia and really enjoyed playing it.  So did lots of other folks.

I don't have sales figures for Lotto South in front of me, but as konane pointed out earlier in this thread, sales certainly aren't skyrocketing.  And it's certainly interesgting that Kentucky is considering dropping Lotto South.

They seem to be following the same pattern as Virginia and other states.  The growth in sales is primarily in instant games and Mega Millions.  Everything is roughly the same or down slightly from 3 years ago.  The only exceptions are pick-3, which is down 20%, and pick-4, which is up more than 25%.  The odds for the pick-5 and pick-6 games are so high and the rewards for the secondary prizes so small for each that the majority of sales migrate to the game with the highest prize total at the moment.  What remains is a fairly stable amount of sales to a devoted core of players who follow the game and try to figure out an edge.  I don't think the state gains or loses by going back to Ga Lotto or by staying with Lotto South.  It really depends on whether they have a strategy in evolving the game toward incorporating more states or in adapting the game to attract more sales.  If Lotto South were to stay, I'd like to see both the 1st and 2nd prize be increased each time no one wins the jackpot. 

Until the 2005 report is published we don't have an accurate report as to how major changes undertaken mid year have impacted sales .... and further probably won't until the '06 report comes out.

Ms. DeFranciso's first year seemed to have been spent analyzing problems, coming up with solutions to those problems.

Second year which was this year she implemented many very significant beneficial changes, Fantasy 5 payouts went parimutuel, the Georgia Lottery began having major promotions where we had virtually none previously. 

IMHO since I live here I believe her actions have brought back many day to day players who were previously alienated for good cause.

Good luck to everyone!

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: December 26, 2005, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Until the 2005 report is published we don't have an accurate report as to how major changes undertaken mid year have impacted sales .... and further probably won't until the '06 report comes out.

Ms. DeFranciso's first year seemed to have been spent analyzing problems, coming up with solutions to those problems.

Second year which was this year she implemented many very significant beneficial changes, Fantasy 5 payouts went parimutuel, the Georgia Lottery began having major promotions where we had virtually none previously. 

IMHO since I live here I believe her actions have brought back many day to day players who were previously alienated for good cause.

I Agree!

I like all GA games except Lotto South.

It has to go. Period.

Alabama
                              United States
                              Member #17830
                              June 27, 2005
                              309 Posts
                              Posted: December 26, 2005, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Ichoro said:

"They seem to be following the same pattern as Virginia and other states.  The growth in sales is primarily in instant games and Mega Millions.  Everything is roughly the same or down slightly from 3 years ago.  The only exceptions are pick-3, which is down 20%, and pick-4, which is up more than 25%.  The odds for the pick-5 and pick-6 games are so high and the rewards for the secondary prizes so small for each that the majority of sales migrate to the game with the highest prize total at the moment.  What remains is a fairly stable amount of sales to a devoted core of players who follow the game and try to figure out an edge.  I don't think the state gains or loses by going back to Ga Lotto or by staying with Lotto South.  It really depends on whether they have a strategy in evolving the game toward incorporating more states or in adapting the game to attract more sales.  If Lotto South were to stay, I'd like to see both the 1st and 2nd prize be increased each time no one wins the jackpot."

Thanks for the link to the sales information and your comments.  So then, from the information you posted, sales of Lotto South tickets are basically flat.

I agree that secondary prizes need to increase, but I still think that Lotto South is basically a dead dog, especially if Kentucky drops out.  I believe that more people would play Lotto Georgia if it's brought back in it's original format or with the format and payout suggestions posted by JimmySand9 above.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >>