Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 11 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you be as annonymous as possible if you won?

Big press conference if you won a big jackpot? [ 1 ]  [6.67%]
Would you claim the jackpot immediately? [ 14 ]  [93.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 15 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2006, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I would remain as annonymous as I possibly could.  I would send a proxy.  I would wait a couple of months before I claimed my prize, at least.

Indiana
    United States
    Member #29196
    December 29, 2005
    280 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2006, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I would try to remain totally annonymous but given the rules of the state I live in I doubt if I could.  So I'd hire an attorney and see if he/she could negotiate some rules for the press conference.  I might also hire a public relations firm.  NOT because I want any publicity...but because they might be able to give me some tips on how to keep publicity to a minimum and or at least be able to control the flow of information.

As for claiming the prize...I'd try to claim it as soon as possible but I would definitely wait until my financial team had all their ducks in a row.  The only thing that might make me wait was if there was an even bigger Mega Millions prize hanging out there for someone else to claim that might attract more publicity than my Powerball prize.

Next hire a few rent a cops...and then...Poof!  Uncle Jim vanishes from public view!

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
      Member #24380
      October 21, 2005
      623 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2006, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I would try to remain totally annonymous but given the rules of the state I live in I doubt if I could.  So I'd hire an attorney and see if he/she could negotiate some rules for the press conference.  I might also hire a public relations firm.  NOT because I want any publicity...but because they might be able to give me some tips on how to keep publicity to a minimum and or at least be able to control the flow of information.

As for claiming the prize...I'd try to claim it as soon as possible but I would definitely wait until my financial team had all their ducks in a row.  The only thing that might make me wait was if there was an even bigger Mega Millions prize hanging out there for someone else to claim that might attract more publicity than my Powerball prize.

Next hire a few rent a cops...and then...Poof!  Uncle Jim vanishes from public view!

Jim 

Hey Jim,

White BounceWhite BounceLet's secretly go POOF together!  Whichever we win PP or MB!

Palm Harbor, FL
        United States
        Member #32362
        February 11, 2006
        145 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2006, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

I would like to remain annonymous myself....but wouldn't it be nice if the "friends" you haven't spoken to in a while started calling you? "you havent called in over a year, now I am the powerball / lotto winner..you've called me 3 x's this week......!..do me a favor...Lose my ph# again"

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3333 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2006, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Jim 

If memory serves me someone claiming a past Georgia jackpot had an attorney act as their spokesperson at the press conference .... which sounds like the way to go.  They like being in the public eye and would know all the right words to say.  Cool

Good luck to everyone!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3052 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2006, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I have been waiting over ten years to win the Powerball so when I win on wednesday I will be there thursday morning to start the processing of the ticket and my claim to the jackpot.  I will take the cash option and when I get the check in hand how ever long the process takes I will seek out financial advice through my bank Wells Fargo.  I will refuse the press conference and just let them release my name and the store were I purchased the winning ticket from.-weshar75

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2006, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I would be claiming my jackpot immediately, but not have a conference as my vote.

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2006, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I'll be in line as soon as my lawyer can get in the limo and we can make the drive to Lottery Headquarters.  News Conference - I couldn't care less about them.  They want one, I can make them unpleasant or pleasant - depends what is in it for me.  It will be ME that matters!  Winning multi-millions of dollars will not turn my into a coward or sheltered person.  Step right up and do what you do.  If they don't like, what are they gonna do, fire you? 

Criminals? Heheheheheh!  Ever heard of those minimum wage rent-a-cops that get paid to stand between you and real/imagined danger?  When was the last time a rich person was bothered, for being a rich person, in this country?  Scared, move to one of those states, like Texas, that allow you to carry firearms, and hire people who carry firearms.  Definetely get out of New Jersey!  The die-hard Jersey cop would rather see you lay dead in a ditch then have a chance to protect yourself with a firearm.  That attitude starts with the Govenor and dribbles down to the little old ladies scared of their shadows.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                  Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2006, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Although I'm confused as to what this poll is about, I would claim the jackpot immediately and decline a press conference.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2006, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Take the necessary time to get top notch financial advice and then go and do it your own way.

If you want to rub it in some faces, by all means have the press conference.

If you want to slip in and out- go for it.

Bottom line, it's YOUR call.

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2006, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Take the necessary time to get top notch financial advice and then go and do it your own way.

If you want to rub it in some faces, by all means have the press conference.

If you want to slip in and out- go for it.

Bottom line, it's YOUR call.

Agree. Remember, with one hundred million dollars - or more - you are no longer a renter, you are an owner.  Enjoy the purchasing power.

Cheers

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #29196
                        December 29, 2005
                        280 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2006, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Different states have different laws regarding claiming a lottery prize.  In the great and sovereign state of Indiana, the wonderful Hoosier Lottery forces the winner to claim his/her own prize and to participate in a Press conference.  No attorneys, no spokesperson, no corporations and no blind trusts.  It's just you and a roomful of your closest friends from the media.  Oh and CNN too.

So if you're lucky enough to win the Lottery...but unlucky enough to live in Indiana just remember the disclaimer on the back of your ticket...the same ticket you have to sign in order to collect your prize:

The holder of this ticket (NOTE: That's you lucky lotto winner) agrees to participate in interviews with Lottery public relations personnel and the media and grants permission to use his/her name, photograph, comments and image in lottery sponsored advertising promotions.

Trust your Uncle Jim on this one boys and girls...I've researched it and there's only way to get around it in Indiana.  And that is if you can prove some kind of life threatening medical condition that would result in some harm to your health if you went public.  

Jim

PS I wonder if the Hoosier Lottery would like to use a picture of me giving Esther Schneider the bird in their advertising campaigns?

PPS Hey Mylollipop...if we both win and we both disappear how would we ever find each other?

PPPS Uh..perhaps I should make myself clear.  If we both win.  (Uncle Jim's mommy didn't raise any children stupid enough to promise to split a Powerball prize with someone on the internet.)

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2006, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Different states have different laws regarding claiming a lottery prize.  In the great and sovereign state of Indiana, the wonderful Hoosier Lottery forces the winner to claim his/her own prize and to participate in a Press conference.  No attorneys, no spokesperson, no corporations and no blind trusts.  It's just you and a roomful of your closest friends from the media.  Oh and CNN too.

So if you're lucky enough to win the Lottery...but unlucky enough to live in Indiana just remember the disclaimer on the back of your ticket...the same ticket you have to sign in order to collect your prize:

The holder of this ticket (NOTE: That's you lucky lotto winner) agrees to participate in interviews with Lottery public relations personnel and the media and grants permission to use his/her name, photograph, comments and image in lottery sponsored advertising promotions.

Trust your Uncle Jim on this one boys and girls...I've researched it and there's only way to get around it in Indiana.  And that is if you can prove some kind of life threatening medical condition that would result in some harm to your health if you went public.  

Jim

PS I wonder if the Hoosier Lottery would like to use a picture of me giving Esther Schneider the bird in their advertising campaigns?

PPS Hey Mylollipop...if we both win and we both disappear how would we ever find each other?

PPPS Uh..perhaps I should make myself clear.  If we both win.  (Uncle Jim's mommy didn't raise any children stupid enough to promise to split a Powerball prize with someone on the internet.)

AFAIK NY winners also have to participate in a press conference. One recent winner bolted during his.

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

WHY WORRY ABOUT IT?  The odds of ANY of you winning a Lottery JACKPOT are ASTRONOMICAL.  I will make a BOLD PREDICTION:  Nobody on LotteryPost will ever win a lottery jackpot!  How is that for a REALITY CHECK???

Hummmm - may all your children be born naked and hungry.  Then stay that way through enternity.

Cheers

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2006, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

WHY WORRY ABOUT IT?  The odds of ANY of you winning a Lottery JACKPOT are ASTRONOMICAL.  I will make a BOLD PREDICTION:  Nobody on LotteryPost will ever win a lottery jackpot!  How is that for a REALITY CHECK???

You may be right but I doubt it.