Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what would worry you the most??

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What would worry you the most if you won the lottery?

Needy friends and family [ 29 ]  [58.00%]
Taxes [ 7 ]  [14.00%]
Stress [ 10 ]  [20.00%]
Your own greed [ 4 ]  [8.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2006, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

If you won, what would you be most worried about?

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2006, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for my friends and family especially my family. After my family, I should worry about federal and sales tax that is deducted from our winnings.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3055 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2006, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I would worry that any one who I have known or currently know would think because they know who I am that they are more entitled to the winnings that I myself have spent the last ten years plus of my life trying to win than I am.  It is the way this world has become once you become a "Have" in life all the "Have Nots" in the world want to "Have" what you got or a piece of it.-weshar75 

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2006, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

If I won the big one, I would have no worries at all.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2006, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Not on your list is "Needy strangers knocking on your door asking for money".  I've never won anything and the only money I have is what I've earned by working and that bothers me now when it happens so if I had just won a big jackpot I might be tempted to greet uninvited strangers with a loaded gun.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #10720
            January 23, 2005
            933 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2006, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I'd be worried that friends would say "if you're really a friend you'll share.. what, you're only giving me a Mercedes? no house also?? i'd give you half if I had won.. you should do the same for me!"  I imagine also that in Church, instead of the usual little collection plate, they'd haul over a wastebasket for me to empty my wallet into.

I'd also be worried that.. once I win, I might get bored or that because I don't have to worry about having enough to pay the electric bill, now I start worrying about weird things like asteroids hitting Earth in the future or that people are hoping I'd die so they could inherit the money..that sort of thing. Money doesn't provide immortality (yet) or invulnerability.

The upside of being poor, if such exists, is needing a reason to wake up in the morning instead of the afternoon. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2006, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

Compared to the financial worries I have now it would all seem irrelevent if I win. I hope to have that problem one day.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                A long and winding road
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                4532 Posts
                Posted: February 21, 2006, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I live by Chewies' philosophy, it you werent there during the rough times dont be around during the glee times. You werent on my list then, ya aint there now. So that takes care of the family and *friends*.

Taxes are a given. They are given to the government each year. No need to worry there.

I never was one for the guilt trips , I tell em to take a real trip off my porch when they hand me those lines.

Worry is faith turned inside out. I prefer to wear faith on the outside , its more becoming of a lady.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Iowa
                  United States
                  Member #30051
                  January 11, 2006
                  12 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2006, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I'd be worried that friends would say "if you're really a friend you'll share.. what, you're only giving me a Mercedes? no house also?? i'd give you half if I had won.. you should do the same for me!"  I imagine also that in Church, instead of the usual little collection plate, they'd haul over a wastebasket for me to empty my wallet into.

I'd also be worried that.. once I win, I might get bored or that because I don't have to worry about having enough to pay the electric bill, now I start worrying about weird things like asteroids hitting Earth in the future or that people are hoping I'd die so they could inherit the money..that sort of thing. Money doesn't provide immortality (yet) or invulnerability.

The upside of being poor, if such exists, is needing a reason to wake up in the morning instead of the afternoon. 

well, my reason for waking up every morning is my children, who need to go to school every morning, that wouldn't change even if I won the lottery.... so no problem there! LOL

My biggest problem would be the family and friends issue.  My hubby and I talked about this too just recently, and we are of the same opinion as Chewie..... Those there for us before are the ones who will be remembered.  Our parents namely.  We decided that even our siblings would not be on a give list (mainly to prevent long lost ones ...we both have a couple of those.... from coming out of the woodwork.)  However, our neices and nephews would have no issues when it comes time to pay college tuition.  We would rather pay for the young ones to find their place in the world, through education, than to assist our siblings in being reckless and destructive to their lives.

That's the crux of the matter really.  Who's to say those that you help won't run through whatever you send their way and then come back with their hands held out for more.  And I would hate for anyone to look at the jackpot amount, then look at their outstretched hand and say "Is that all?"

United States
                    Member #9579
                    December 12, 2004
                    2121 Posts
                    Posted: February 21, 2006, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

i would also reward those that have been kind to me wife and i along lifes'journey,all over the world we have found nice people,and bad.the fond ones are when you were young and struggling to make ends meet,they were your friends.also family that sticks by you even if you go away for 2 years,military,etc..

Tx_Mega_Player's avatar - spider
                      BIG D Texas
                      United States
                      Member #2539
                      October 16, 2003
                      148 Posts
                      Posted: February 21, 2006, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

My only concern would be the safety of my family. Too many crazy people in this world. Concern for my family is the only reason I'd keep a low profile. Needy friends and family would be no problem. You are either on the list or you are not, and the list is very short. If you're on the list - I got you. If you're not on the list - I can't help you. Taxes are no concern - just pay what you owe and get it over with. As for stress - as soon as I win I'll be stress free.

United States
                        Member #9579
                        December 12, 2004
                        2121 Posts
                        Posted: February 21, 2006, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

very well said big d.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2006, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Nothing, my worries would finally be over. As I said before a few times, I am tailor-made for a large jackpot win. Most lottery worries are simply paranoia, and fear of the unknown. Properly educating yourself on what to do after winning the lottery will go a long way. The news only tells you about the bad lottery stories usually, not the far more good ones.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                            Magnolia, Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #18795
                            July 20, 2005
                            789 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2006, 11:22 am - IP Logged

The worries won't be there when I win the big one, they'll all be behind me from that day forward! The list is a short one for the people who where there for me during the bad times! The rest can be counted on one hand and that list is too long! My two children will be taken care of (18 & 3). My three yr. old will be home schooled (that's a better way to receive an education anyway)! Trust funds set up for my children payable to them when they reach age 35.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2006, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

My biggest worry, when will the money start being available for use? That should be my last worry ever.