Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what would worry you the most??

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What would worry you the most if you won the lottery?

Needy friends and family [ 29 ]  [58.00%]
Taxes [ 7 ]  [14.00%]
Stress [ 10 ]  [20.00%]
Your own greed [ 4 ]  [8.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4528 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2006, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad- You bring up a valid point! Money wont wipe away lifes worries but it sure will make them appear in manageable doses!  :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2006, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad- You bring up a valid point! Money wont wipe away lifes worries but it sure will make them appear in manageable doses!  :)

Exactly GameGrl. Almost 99% of all my problems had something to do with money, or lack there of. Providing one has their head screwed on properly, a seemingly unlimited amount of money will only make their lives much more enjoyable, not worse. Especially if they were always used to having the bare minimum in life.

However the humility and the wisdom has already been derived from life's strongest lessons so now it is time to have fun, but still modestly.

United States
      Member #9579
      December 12, 2004
      2121 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2006, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

i believe money erases a lot of predjudices,whether against age,race,heighth,baldness,etc.if you have money anything you want can be had.

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2006, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

Financial security in itself is a great thing, especially since it allows for mistakes. Plus as I said before anyone with even half a brain can transform their windfall into even more lucritive prospects, and create many more opportunities for others in the economy.

I don't believe in the way this economy is set up as far as money is concerned, and how it controls everything. But what else can you do except utilize it as best as you can to your own advantage?

felinelover's avatar - nw elf4.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #2118
          August 19, 2003
          39 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2006, 12:56 am - IP Logged

All that you mentioned, but must of all I would worry about the publicity. Florida lets everyone know who won. I think if I were to millions, I'd get a bodyguard, a lawyer, a financial advisor, maybe legally change my name and move to another state or out of the country. There are people out there who think you won their money, crazy as it seems. I think I would handle things well, since my main goal is security. I don't need lots of luxuries. After I got settled I would help family and friends.

PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2006, 4:02 am - IP Logged

Thankfully I am already in that dead town in the middle of nowhere, no move necessary.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4528 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2006, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

My grandma ustah say , you can move away from your problems .....

....Even If you just so happen to be married to him *grin*.

In essence having the financial luxury is a responsibility not to be taken lightly or squandered. I agree with Sirbrad that its those that have had *naught* that understand and appreciate far better what it is to finally gain. One doesnt lose the wisdom or humbleness of knowing that it can all be gone and what are you left with is....yourself. So be good to yourself and those around you when you do get blessed with a windfall.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: February 27, 2006, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Personal and family safety issues would probably be the biggest worry.  As an older woman living alone and with neighbors who travel a lot, I might have to move to a more protected area or hire a bodyguard.  And my relatives who work at a prison know too many "bad guys" who are now out and might see them as good subjects for kidnapping, if they should learn these individuals are related to me.

Needy friends and family is not likely to be a concern.  I can't imagine any of my elderly friends asking for anything.  If the jackpot were huge like the current Mega Million, I'd give about 20 relatives $12,000 a year (the amount of the current gift tax exclusion) and only my two closest relatives would get considerably more, but in annual gifts so they couldn't blow it.  No sense in having my relatives living higher on the hog than I'd plan to. 

Taxes are not a worry.  Just pay them.  Stress?  I don't see any except for strangers disturbing my privacy, but I make a pretty good "hermit," and I'm happy that way.  I'd plan to give about 90% of my windfall to charity, so my own greed would be no problem.  I'd just have the fun of determining to which charities and whether each should be a lifetime gift or after my demise.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: February 27, 2006, 2:38 am - IP Logged

All that you mentioned, but must of all I would worry about the publicity. Florida lets everyone know who won. I think if I were to millions, I'd get a bodyguard, a lawyer, a financial advisor, maybe legally change my name and move to another state or out of the country. There are people out there who think you won their money, crazy as it seems. I think I would handle things well, since my main goal is security. I don't need lots of luxuries. After I got settled I would help family and friends.

Where in Florida do you live? There are so many millionaires living here, you'd fit right in. A lot of celebrities live in Miami and Naples is loaded with wealthy people. Nobody would yell "there's that lottery winner" if you were driving an Aston Martin since there's a dealership down the road and many of the homes on the beach cost over $5M. Changing your name or leaving the country is a little extreme. I honestly don't think you'd have to hide as much as you think except perhaps from greedy friends and relatives. Although it's a great deal of money to me and would change my life considerably, $5 or $10 million isn't really a big deal in this country any more. There are many private communities in resort areas throughout the country where residents are multi-millionaires.  Of course I would definitely move out of my dumpy apartment before claiming my prize and quietly slip away to a mountain retreat in NC for a while until everyone forgets me. But you don't have to shine in the spot light for very long if you don't want to.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                    Member #5599
                    July 13, 2004
                    1185 Posts
                    Posted: February 27, 2006, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Then again..you would probably be the target for every con and crook in the US.  Hmmmm, but should you worry?

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: February 27, 2006, 11:24 am - IP Logged

a lot of people have had the same problem,a lot of millionaires in the usa,shouldn't be any problem for one more MILLIONAIRE!

S.E.TN.
                        United States
                        Member #29824
                        January 7, 2006
                        29 Posts
                        Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Well let me see here, I know I would have to take care of the parental units first. Then comes the rest of the family: 2 sisters, 1 set of grandparents(that is all that is still alive), aunt and uncle(they were always there for me), 3 nieces, 1 nephew(send them to private school). Those are my worry's. Any one else looking for a hand out(that is why I have a gun carrier permit). Ah yes the life of not needing to worry about math and biology tests. Well I think I could handle the MM right about now.

Group Hug

good luck to all that play.

as always IMGONNAWIN.

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2006, 9:08 am - IP Logged

So, if you looked in Google, for the last 25 jackpot winners, how many would you find that were destroyed by publicity?  Only those that were losers before winning.  Those that had minimum common sense never had a problem.  Your 15 minutes of fame will actually be about 5 minutes.  Except for three or four genuine idiots, every one else managed to make it through the 5 minutes.  Its not that difficult!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2006, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Then again..you would probably be the target for every con and crook in the US.  Hmmmm, but should you worry?

You have to accept reality, your $100M before the outlay flood starts, is a drop in the bucket to the rich and famous.  You'd be a no-body in Palm Beach.  You'd only be able to rent a house in Marthas Vineyard.  Why would they bother with a nobody when a some one would bring a higher return.  Don't you think any robbery attempt on the last ten lottery winners would make the headlines?  Show me the headlines!!  Check the Fortune 500, you wouldn't make the Fortune 5000.  Just because you have nothing now, winning a $100M, won't make you a target.  No matter how you look at it, a baloon is full of air.  Let the air out, and it takes up almost no space in the universe.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                              Washington State
                              United States
                              Member #33973
                              February 26, 2006
                              347 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2006, 1:09 am - IP Logged

You have to accept reality, your $100M before the outlay flood starts, is a drop in the bucket to the rich and famous.  You'd be a no-body in Palm Beach.  You'd only be able to rent a house in Marthas Vineyard.  Why would they bother with a nobody when a some one would bring a higher return.  Don't you think any robbery attempt on the last ten lottery winners would make the headlines?  Show me the headlines!!  Check the Fortune 500, you wouldn't make the Fortune 5000.  Just because you have nothing now, winning a $100M, won't make you a target.  No matter how you look at it, a baloon is full of air.  Let the air out, and it takes up almost no space in the universe.

It may be true that someone with $100 million might not be the prime target in Palm Beach.  But what if you live in a rural community where there is no one else with that kind of money in 100 miles?  If you're where the wealthy have a mere million or two or five?  I have a hard time believing that the person who has received all this publicity about his newfound wealth wouldn't be the prime target of scoundrels of all types.  And not every winner, due to family or other reasons, would necessarily want to move to Palm Beach or similar areas.