Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you are going to buy 46+ tickets.....

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2006, 10:47 am - IP Logged

I have recently read about people that buy $50 of tickets on drawings and don't win a penny.  I ask them why the heck don't they?

If you are going to play more tickets then there are powerballs or mega balls then buy all of the bonus numbers.  For Powerball that would be 42 and for Mega Millions it would be 46.  Not only do you gaurantee yourself a win but when you buy all the bonus numbers you cut your odds down drastically. 

Example:  Mega Millions you buy 46 tickets with each mega ball you cut your odds from 1 in 175,711,536 to 1 in 3,904,701.  The latter is less than most states in-house jackpot games.

Powerball you buy 42 tickets with each powerball you cut your odds from 1 in 146,107,962 to 1 in 3,563,608. 

If you are going to spend money on tickets make the best use of it.  Don't leave it to the RNG to pick your numbers for you (well in the bonus ball case, white balls it really doesn't matter.)  If you are going to buy a block of tickets look at it like a game that costs $42 or $46 a ticket and jackpot odds of less than 1 in 4,000,000.

Brad 

United States
    Member #9579
    December 12, 2004
    2121 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2006, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

i predicted the huge powerball win would be in iowa,i was in the area,isn't that where the headquarters is?also it was qp's so a lot of people will now purchase qp's.timing,if that person wasn't in that line at that time,someone else would have won.

alexandria, VA
      United States
      Member #28619
      December 19, 2005
      20 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2006, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I have recently read about people that buy $50 of tickets on drawings and don't win a penny.  I ask them why the heck don't they?

If you are going to play more tickets then there are powerballs or mega balls then buy all of the bonus numbers.  For Powerball that would be 42 and for Mega Millions it would be 46.  Not only do you gaurantee yourself a win but when you buy all the bonus numbers you cut your odds down drastically. 

Example:  Mega Millions you buy 46 tickets with each mega ball you cut your odds from 1 in 175,711,536 to 1 in 3,904,701.  The latter is less than most states in-house jackpot games.

Powerball you buy 42 tickets with each powerball you cut your odds from 1 in 146,107,962 to 1 in 3,563,608. 

If you are going to spend money on tickets make the best use of it.  Don't leave it to the RNG to pick your numbers for you (well in the bonus ball case, white balls it really doesn't matter.)  If you are going to buy a block of tickets look at it like a game that costs $42 or $46 a ticket and jackpot odds of less than 1 in 4,000,000.

Brad 

Its not that easy.

I think your math is wrong. For MM your odds go from 1 in 175,711,536 to 1 in (175,711,536-46) or 1 in 175,711,490. Do similar calcualtion for PB.

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2006, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

No my math isn't wrong.  If you had to have the numbers in the exact order that they came out then your math would be right.  But luckily the numbers can be in any order.  It's called combinatorics. 

Even if you don't know much about math....just think about it.  If you buy the 46 tickets for Mega Millions you have pinned the mega ball already.  It doesn't matter what mega ball comes out you have it already.  You are now playing a game of matching the 5 white balls on the same line as the mega ball that is drawn.  So if you buy all the megaballs you are playing a 5 of 5 game and that is it.  Thats where the odds that I got come from.

Brad

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11931 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2006, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

So what your saying is that if the lottery commision told me that the MB number was going to be 13, I would have to pick one combination out of 3,904,701 choices.

What keta11 is saying is that because i do not know what the MB number is going to be, even if I buy 46 MB tickets I still have 175,711,536 ways to match them together. 

Or does my math suck?

alexandria, VA
            United States
            Member #28619
            December 19, 2005
            20 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2006, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

5 out of 5 still has to come out in 42 different ways.

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2006, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

It's very hard to play MM, so I just buy only a few dollars, not $46. If I lose, then I lose.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23267 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2006, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Brad 

You're absolutely correct, and that's the way I play.

I use the Lottery Post Abbreviated 2 if 5 of 56 wheel, and I use a different Mega Ball for each line.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #416
                  June 23, 2002
                  1614 Posts
                  Posted: February 22, 2006, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Why is this so hard for people to understand.  These games (Powerball and Mega Millions) are two games in one.

First you have to pick 5 numbers then you have to pick one number.  If you pick all the one numbers you eliminate that part of the game. Then you are playing a 5 of 5 game with the lottery.

If you bought all 46 mega balls tickets for Mega Millions tell me how there is still over 170 million combos left?

You have each Mega Ball, all 46 of them, so you are a winner (well not really because you are only gauranteed two dollars back) already.  So when you go to your tickets to check them you find the one that has the same mega ball as drawn.  Oh look you have one.  Now you have a one in 3,904,701 chance that you have the same five white numbers that came out of the machine. 

This is simple math.  You don't subtract 46 tickets from the total amount of combinations, you divide it. You have a 46/173711536 chance or (reduce both sides of the fraction) 1 in 3904701 chance.

Brad

United States
                    Member #1826
                    July 11, 2003
                    2645 Posts
                    Posted: February 22, 2006, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Why is this so hard for people to understand.  These games (Powerball and Mega Millions) are two games in one.

First you have to pick 5 numbers then you have to pick one number.  If you pick all the one numbers you eliminate that part of the game. Then you are playing a 5 of 5 game with the lottery.

If you bought all 46 mega balls tickets for Mega Millions tell me how there is still over 170 million combos left?

You have each Mega Ball, all 46 of them, so you are a winner (well not really because you are only gauranteed two dollars back) already.  So when you go to your tickets to check them you find the one that has the same mega ball as drawn.  Oh look you have one.  Now you have a one in 3,904,701 chance that you have the same five white numbers that came out of the machine. 

This is simple math.  You don't subtract 46 tickets from the total amount of combinations, you divide it. You have a 46/173711536 chance or (reduce both sides of the fraction) 1 in 3904701 chance.

Brad

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand either. If you play all of the Mega/Power balls, then the Mega/Power balls are factored out of the equation, because hitting said ball is already a given. I think it's just people being cynical.

(insert signature here)

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: February 22, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

pb you can buy qps forwb or pb,but in mm you cannot break them up,at least in mass..

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #2338
                        September 17, 2003
                        2063 Posts
                        Posted: February 22, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad to see others playing the same way. I only wait for large pots and then buy 1-3 "tickets". Didn't play Euromillions that way though. I just covered the 9 extra number for all tickets.  As I see it I'm going to loose. Odds of winning are already very low. If I do win it's an 11.25 million bonus for Megamillions plus I never have to think I almost hit it. It's not the way I would play smaller pots if I did.

Dream's avatar - dragon1

United States
                          Member #2399
                          September 28, 2003
                          143 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2006, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Here is the formula for producing the maximum number of combinations in Mega Millions with out the Mega ball  (56*55*54*53*52 ) / (1*2*3*4*5) = 3,819,816

United States
                            Member #13801
                            April 14, 2005
                            48 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2006, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Brad 

Buying all of the Megaballs or Powerballs will obviously win you $2 or $3 dollars, respectively, but how does this improve your odds of winning the jackpot (if that is, indeed, what you're saying)?

If you get 46 autopicks for MegaMillions, your chances of winning, unless I'm mistaken, are 1 in 3,819,816 (175,711,536 divided by 46).  Can you provide a mathematical calculation that shows how your method improves the odds of winning a jackpot?

Thanks in advance.

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #416
                              June 23, 2002
                              1614 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2006, 9:54 am - IP Logged

You are pretty much right 46 tickets randomly selected and 46 tickets of all the mega balls will pretty much give you the same overall odds.

But if you buy quick picks chances are you will have a lot of repeat mega or power balls which will cut out the fact that you have every mega ball covered.  If you make sure you have all the bonus balls you can count on just matching the first five numbers.  If you use quick picks you have to count on having the bonus ball first which doesn't nessecarily allow you to take the bonus number out of the equation.

Brad