Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you are going to buy 46+ tickets.....

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #9579
December 12, 2004
2121 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2006, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

one chance in 3.9 million,that doesn't gurantee a win,if 3.9 million tickets are sold,because everyone doesn't buy qp's,and the lottery quite often puts out a repeat number.it is really so mind boggling,if the lottery doesn't want your area to win you will not.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
    Jacksonville Florida
    United States
    Member #23018
    October 6, 2005
    915 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2006, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

This doesn't make sense. How if I buy 46 tickets each with a different mega ball does that not reduce my oods to 1 in 3.9 million. No matter what Mega Ball comes up...NO MATTER WHICH ONE...I have it. I am not playing against the mega ball anymore. No matter what outcome comes from the drawing it doesn't matter to me because I covered all possible outcomes. I have a 1 in 1 chance that I will match the Mega Ball. Now all I have to do is match the first 5 white numbers. Since one of my tickets already has the mega ball I don't have to considered those odds of matching the mega ball anymore. I already have it. Now the problem is with me matching the five white balls. Since there is only 3.9 million ways those 5 white balls can come up those are my odds of winning the jackpot. I have the mega ball already because I covered all the possible mega balls that there are. Now the luck of the draw only depends on what 5 white numbers come out. Now by playing these numbers I gauranteed myself a 1 in 1 chance of winning at least $2 and a 1 in 3.9 million chance of hitting the jackpot. I am not saying you are gauranting yourself a jackpot win I am saying you have a 1 in 3.9 million chance of winning the jackpot.

Take for instance the lottery told us that the next Mega Ball is going to be 17. Well ok we know the 17 is going to come out so we go and buy a ticket with MB 17. Wow our odds of hitting the jackpot are now 1 in 3.9 million. If we went out there and bought all 3.9 million combos that are possible with MB 17 we would win the jackpot. This is what I am saying.

How is this wrong?

Brad

Let's try it this way:

You have got 46 tickets, each with a different MB number, in front of you and you have $3.9 million dollars.

Where will you put the $3.9 million dollars to guaratee a win?

(Once again, the 3.9 million to 1 odds for a jackpot win can only happen IF you know which ONE of the 46 tickets has the correct MB, which in reality you won't have that advance knowledge. To guarantee a jackpot win you must put $3.9 million on EACH of the 46 tickets)

United States
      Member #9579
      December 12, 2004
      2121 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2006, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

duckman,so you're saying there are 3.9 million combinations possible?if one owned 20 convenient lottery stores,could one have your employees play all the combinations,from drawing to drawing?if you had 3.9 million combinations filled out,divided by 5,how many tickets,and how long would that take?

United States
        Member #9579
        December 12, 2004
        2121 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2006, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

oh oh,i think it would be 3.9 million combinations for each mb,right.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11927 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2006, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

So what your saying is that if the lottery commision told me that the MB number was going to be 13, I would have to pick one combination out of 3,904,701 choices.

What keta11 is saying is that because i do not know what the MB number is going to be, even if I buy 46 MB tickets I still have 175,711,536 ways to match them together. 

Or does my math suck?

Iget it!

United States
            Member #9579
            December 12, 2004
            2121 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2006, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

ok i see it now,just on my 2d coffee.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
              Member #24380
              October 21, 2005
              623 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I have recently read about people that buy $50 of tickets on drawings and don't win a penny.  I ask them why the heck don't they?

If you are going to play more tickets then there are powerballs or mega balls then buy all of the bonus numbers.  For Powerball that would be 42 and for Mega Millions it would be 46.  Not only do you gaurantee yourself a win but when you buy all the bonus numbers you cut your odds down drastically. 

Example:  Mega Millions you buy 46 tickets with each mega ball you cut your odds from 1 in 175,711,536 to 1 in 3,904,701.  The latter is less than most states in-house jackpot games.

Powerball you buy 42 tickets with each powerball you cut your odds from 1 in 146,107,962 to 1 in 3,563,608. 

If you are going to spend money on tickets make the best use of it.  Don't leave it to the RNG to pick your numbers for you (well in the bonus ball case, white balls it really doesn't matter.)  If you are going to buy a block of tickets look at it like a game that costs $42 or $46 a ticket and jackpot odds of less than 1 in 4,000,000.

Brad 

Yeah Brad, good advice.  So if you only have +/- $1-5 to spend, odds get higher, right.  LOL.  But your method is a bit wiser I Agree!

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2006, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

not worth it,done that,84 dollars pb,whiteballs qp's,i only won 12 bucks outa 350 million,so save your money.

United States
                  Member #21574
                  September 11, 2005
                  138 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2006, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Go read:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/129273

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19822 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2006, 1:47 am - IP Logged

Not everyone who buy 46+ tickets have the same strategy.  Some might buy all the megaballs hoping to match one or more of the other five numbers with the winning megaball.  Others might buy only the hot megaballs several time and hope to get lucky and match the megaball with some of the other numbers several times, for them gambling $46 for a chance to win $4+ is a better deal than spending $46 for a guarantee $2.  And then there are those who buy 46+ QP tickets just to improve their odds of winning something.  A lot of players join a lottery pool for the same reason.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2006, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Not everyone who buy 46+ tickets have the same strategy.  Some might buy all the megaballs hoping to match one or more of the other five numbers with the winning megaball.  Others might buy only the hot megaballs several time and hope to get lucky and match the megaball with some of the other numbers several times, for them gambling $46 for a chance to win $4+ is a better deal than spending $46 for a guarantee $2.  And then there are those who buy 46+ QP tickets just to improve their odds of winning something.  A lot of players join a lottery pool for the same reason.

I play all 46 Mega Balls, but not for a chance to win $2, as you say.

The wheel I play guarantees a 2-number hit on the first five numbers.  Very often I get more than two numbers out of the first five on at least one ticket.  I play all 46 numbers so that I have a 1-in-46 chance of matching those 2+ numbers with a matching Mega Ball.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #416
                        June 23, 2002
                        1614 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

And Todd should know....he has consistantly beat the 1 in 13,000 odds of hitting the $150 prize.  Going to use his strategy for the rest of the draws in this run.

Brad

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19822 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2006, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a good strategy for anyone planning to play all 46 megaballs.  I hope you win big.  Good luck.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                            Member #9579
                            December 12, 2004
                            2121 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:45 am - IP Logged

i just played one dollar this drawing to make up for the 84 dollars i spent and only won 12 bucks.lottery will be taking for awhile now,no winners!

anonymous77's avatar - moon
                              Seoul
                              Korea, South
                              Member #21859
                              September 16, 2005
                              346 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:54 am - IP Logged

I play all 46 Mega Balls, but not for a chance to win $2, as you say.

The wheel I play guarantees a 2-number hit on the first five numbers.  Very often I get more than two numbers out of the first five on at least one ticket.  I play all 46 numbers so that I have a 1-in-46 chance of matching those 2+ numbers with a matching Mega Ball.

I Agree!.

Whether or not one is willing to spend $46 on MM tickets ($42 in Powerball) is a completely different issue.