Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you are going to buy 46+ tickets.....

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
anonymous77's avatar - moon
Seoul
Korea, South
Member #21859
September 16, 2005
346 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2006, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

From what I figure out, here is what is meant by $46($42) strategy: numbers in the parentheses ( ) represents the case of Powerball.

1. ONCE one decides to spend $46($42) on buying MM(PB) tickets for whatever reason and if/when he covers all 46(42) Mega Balls(red Powerballs), he or she does not lose more than $44($39) out of the whole $46($42) spent on buying the MM(PB) tickets. Put it differently in percentage term, given such constraints, one can win at least 4.3%(7.1%) of every $46($42) spent on buying MM(PB) tickets. Note that the difference in percentage numbers between MM and PB.

2. Such difference results from the difference b/n MM and PB in the number of bonus balls and payout for hitting just the bonus ball (0+1), 46MBs vs. 42PBs and $2 vs. $3. It is clear that the strategy of covering all bonus balls is much effective in PB, as compared to MM. Needless to say, one can choose only 1 bonus ball 46(42) times in an extreme case if s/he believes strongly that it would come out, which is a different story.

3. One more thing to note is that covering all bonus balls and thus getting a guarantee for a minimum amount of winnings can not be applied to ordinary P-6 or P-3 games. It is almost impossible! Anyone, please let me know if s/he can guarantee hitting 3 out 6 in NY lotto 6/59 with less than 20 million tickets. Mathematically, it is possible that one can buy 100 million MM tickets and still win nothing, though not probable: that's exactly the opposite extreme of saying that one can buy just 1 ticket and still win it. Of course, as RJOh implies, any further judgment of whether such minimum winnings-to-cost ratio of 4%(7%) of $46($42) is attractive or not, and thus to take it or not, is up to individual players.

4. Except such effect of preventing winnings-to-cost ratio from coming down all the way to 0, covering all bonus balls have nothing to do with, say, the odds and the expected value. As Lotteryplayer noted in a different thread, covering all bonus balls does NOT improve the odds when compared to one's own arbitrary selection or QPs of 46(42) bonus balls. Of course, 46(42) tickets improve the odds 46 times when compared to 1 ticket, unless one inadvertently chose two or more tickets with exactly same numbers for all (5+1).

-Sometimes one's own episodic incidence(s) can not be generalized beyond his or her own unique situations inclusing LUCK...

United States
    Member #9579
    December 12, 2004
    2121 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

when i was in 2d infrantry division,no powerball!

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2006, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

when i was in 2d infrantry division,no powerball!

I took Basic and Advanced Infantry Training with the 2nd at Fort Benning.  I was already in Korea when they transferred there.  Cool patch.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: February 27, 2006, 6:31 am - IP Logged

I spent $40 a couple times playing all the SAME powerball, and one time I got the powerball correct. I thought then that one of the 40 lines had to be a jackpot winner, but still only got 2 plus 1 as the best. It sure was fun checking them all, and had some very close odds. But the powerball pay off was sweet. ($120) Have not tried it again since.

Seoul
          Korea, South
          Member #21859
          September 16, 2005
          346 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2006, 5:06 am - IP Logged

I think that picking just one bonus ball for 40+ tickets is just like placing all the money straight on a single number in roulette or, putting all the eggs in a single basket. It wouldn't be any better as long as one can pick the right one or s/he does not stumble over a stone. But, it may not be so easy to pick the right one out of 46 or 42 numbers, harder than in roulette.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2006, 4:05 am - IP Logged

Yeah another problem with 42 tickets, and all the powerball numbers, is that after the powerball is drawn you basically now have 41 other useless tickets if you did not win. You can only hope that ONE line is a jackpot win. Personally I would rather have a few of the same powerball, that way I had more chances if one lost.

Seoul
              Korea, South
              Member #21859
              September 16, 2005
              346 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2006, 8:16 am - IP Logged

I think that, if one's subjective belief is one thing, objective fact should be another. All I have been saying about it is purely based on my knowledge of math and stats: that is, $42 spent on covering all 42 PBs have exactly the same odds and expected value as 42 tickets with all PBs of a kind OR mixed.

I am not saying any method is wrong. Far from it, I am just saying that what you're saying is not based on the objective fact, but on your subjective belief and/or preference.

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2006, 9:02 am - IP Logged

me only indulge in buying 42 tickets when it's up to around 300 million,now i only purchase 1 ticket,letting others raise it up for awhile,mm looks good now!

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2006, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

Not everyone who buy 46+ tickets have the same strategy.  Some might buy all the megaballs hoping to match one or more of the other five numbers with the winning megaball.  Others might buy only the hot megaballs several time and hope to get lucky and match the megaball with some of the other numbers several times, for them gambling $46 for a chance to win $4+ is a better deal than spending $46 for a guarantee $2.  And then there are those who buy 46+ QP tickets just to improve their odds of winning something.  A lot of players join a lottery pool for the same reason.

I play all 46 Mega Balls, but not for a chance to win $2, as you say.

The wheel I play guarantees a 2-number hit on the first five numbers.  Very often I get more than two numbers out of the first five on at least one ticket.  I play all 46 numbers so that I have a 1-in-46 chance of matching those 2+ numbers with a matching Mega Ball.

So all 46 tickets have the same white ball numbers, or do you mix them up in some sort of pattern?

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2006, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

You only see a decrease in odds if the white numbers are all the same. There was someone else who was confused between the words odds and combinations. Your odds increase to 1:3.8 million if and only if all white numbers are the same for all 46 numbers. This method insures that you will get the right megaball. This is not a cheap way of playing though.

You can also cover the same megaball for all different white ball combinations. If and only if you guessed the right megaball you now have however many tickets in a 5/56 game. Most of the time you will not guess the right megaball and will automatically loose on every ticket.

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2006, 10:01 am - IP Logged

and in megamillions,one cannot just fill in all the mb's,and ask forqp's,like in powerball.