Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would u try to remain anonymous?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Dream.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would u try to remain anonymous if u hit the jackpot?

Yes [ 36 ]  [78.26%]
No [ 6 ]  [13.04%]
Depends [ 4 ]  [8.70%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Dream's avatar - dragon1

United States
Member #2399
September 28, 2003
143 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2006, 12:36 am - IP Logged

Would u try to remain anonymous if u hit the jackpot?

United States
    Member #28973
    December 26, 2005
    439 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2006, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Hell yeah!

I can't stand people!  LOL j/k

But, I would like to still keep my privacy though.

So, yes.

twisted's avatar - underground
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #2376
      September 25, 2003
      582 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2006, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Remaining anonymous will be very hard I think. There is no point in fighting it.

Also, when there is a jackpot winner, I eagerly wait for the press conference because I want to know more about the person that won(I know its none of my business but would be nice to know). It just calms my disappointment at not winning it myself. It puts a face behind the winning ticket and gives me hope that maybe someday that will be me.

It would only be hypocritical of me to try to remain anonymous when I win. I would like other people to know who I am and how I won. I understand that this will bring negative publicity, but its something I'll have to prepare myself for. It can only hurt me if I'm not mentally prepared for it.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        347 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2006, 1:03 am - IP Logged

It doesn't look as though I'd have that option. 

From the Rules and Regulations printed on the back of each ticket:

Washington's Lottery has the right to publish the name and city of residence of the prize winner.  The name and city of residence of jackpot winner(s) and second prize winner(s) will be disclosed in a news conference or news release.  A prize claim form is a public record governed by Chapter 42.17 RCW. 

I was just thinking about this last night, wondering if in this state it would be better to try to get away with them just publishing name and city but try to forego the press conference.  The conclusion I reached is that it would be worse, as reporters would try to hunt you down individually.  Better to face them all at once, I think.  Since I live in a community with population under 5000, they'd find me even if I do have an unpublished telephone number and a PO box as a mailing address.  People in a large city might get away with it.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2006, 2:27 am - IP Logged

No option here, but I would keep my own low profile regardless after the wind blew over.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10353 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2006, 2:51 am - IP Logged

Everything I've ever read about this suggests getting a P O Box, changing your phone number, and getting out of town for awhile.

I think the more aloof you could be the better off you would be.

I'm remeber reading about one big winner who gave a million dollars to several people. He said every single person he had given a million to blew it and came back to him asking for more.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2006, 3:59 am - IP Logged

There are few states in which a person can remain anonymous, and with the giant jackpots like PB & MM I know reporters would be seeking me out, but I would try my best to stay out of the spotlight. Even when a lawyer creates a trust for a lottery winner in Florida, they still list the actual names of the winner(s) because it is a matter of public record.

Like the other members above wrote, changing your phone number or simply getting away for a while is probably the best thing to do. You can always keep in touch by email. Having an elderly parent, even when I left the country I always checked my email..free, fast and easy. I'd want to share, but I'd be afraid of what Coin Toss wrote. I'm guessing that one sister in particular wouldn't be happy with a gift of $1 or $2M if I had 10 or 20. Most people suggest getting financial advice from a professional right away. Although that's a good idea, be careful. Recently I've talked to several financial planners, not as an investor, but as a licensed agent for a job. I hate to say this, but since most of them are working on commission and push products that pay the highest commissions rather than what's best for the client, do your own research first and make sure you're dealing with an honest and reputable company. If someone won't let you go home to read a prospectus and study your options or suggests risky variable products --- take a walk.

Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #4170
                March 27, 2004
                103 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2006, 5:38 am - IP Logged

Okalhoma don't have that anymous option, I am disappointed in that, guess I will have to face the media and people will stalk me for $$$

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2006, 5:57 am - IP Logged

yes.

PA lets a personal property trust claim the prize, only the name of the attorney appointed to claim the ticket would be published

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

md
                    United States
                    Member #14047
                    April 20, 2005
                    579 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:15 am - IP Logged

In Maryland, you can chose to remain anonymous, and I would.  Having said that, I also know that it is dependant on the size of the Jackpot Winnings.  If it is the size of the record that PB was recently, I would get it over with because someone is still going to Freedom of Information my behind if I win something ridiculously large.  I would do one press conference and say no more than 30 words.  But I would have moved, picked up new phones, land and cell at least a couple of days before the press conference.  But if I could avoid the press and the attention, I would.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                      Member #24380
                      October 21, 2005
                      623 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:55 am - IP Logged

As annonymous as I can!  I will do all that I can.  I am a private person anyway.  I can be quite obnoxious in my own passiveRoll Eyes aggressiveMad way when my space is invaded; consider the skunk when it is threatned.  Come on press, come on media, you're gonna get it right in the face! For daring to violate my space.  And yeah, the lottery rules of the state I win in too. Come ya'll, the in your face is waiting for ya!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3054 Posts
                        Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I would try my best to keep a low profile after my name and city of residence was released.  I think if I won a smaller jackpot people would not come around as much as if I had a big jackpot.  I would refuse the press conference and just let the lottery do a press release.  I would not want my picture all over the news.-weshar75

Dream's avatar - dragon1

United States
                          Member #2399
                          September 28, 2003
                          143 Posts
                          Posted: February 28, 2006, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Those rules are the until something VERY VERY BAD happens to the winner that will require a change. At least at the state where it happened. Lawmakers do not like to make changes unless it causes major problem. When it does, it catches their attention like with coal miners. This is just one of the examples. Why touch it if does not stink .

Palm Harbor, FL
                            United States
                            Member #32362
                            February 11, 2006
                            145 Posts
                            Posted: February 28, 2006, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I dare someone to call me that I have not spoken to in yrs call me after a big winning. "are you kidding me..I havent talked to you once in 2 yrs...you've called me twice this week...can I help you with something?" In Florida you can not remain anonymous either. It would be nice for all the doubters to see you up there extremley wealhty though

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10353 Posts
                              Posted: February 28, 2006, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering, especially since we play with other people, not a pool but it would be a four or five way aplit, if you could have an attorney or finanacial planner draw up a "Lotto Group", and then if the info. had to be made public it would read something like, "The Lottery Post Lotto Group" won the jackpot.

There's a book (out of print, I think), What to do When You Hit the Lotto, it mentioned something like that.