Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would u try to remain anonymous?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Dream.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would u try to remain anonymous if u hit the jackpot?

Yes [ 36 ]  [78.26%]
No [ 6 ]  [13.04%]
Depends [ 4 ]  [8.70%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering, especially since we play with other people, not a pool but it would be a four or five way aplit, if you could have an attorney or finanacial planner draw up a "Lotto Group", and then if the info. had to be made public it would read something like, "The Lottery Post Lotto Group" won the jackpot.

There's a book (out of print, I think), What to do When You Hit the Lotto, it mentioned something like that.  

Yes, but the names of the members of the group are still public record in most cases.  It doesn't matter if it's a Trust of LLC or whatever the state will allow.  Just like a corporation, the members who form the trust are listed. I've never seen an announcement that didn't show the actual names of the winners. I don't want to repeat myself, but I just answered this on another forum mentioning there are many celebrities, investors, real estate moguls, corporate executives, etc. with a lot more money than the latest PB winners got. They don't hide from society. Everyone thinks winning money is different and initially it might be because it is new. However, if someone is wise and plans well, after all the hooplah is over, he'll go on to live a good life without any financial worries....I can only dream!  

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

As I have said, numerous times, I would use the noise to my advantage.  I have nothing to hide from, and wouldn't waste my time trying to hide.  Thousands of rich people walk around every day, and no one bothers them.  Next week there will be another target some where else.  I intend to use the publicity to prove I am the winner - and get my advance from the bank. You see who I am, look at the television, look on the internet, read the USA Today. You want to be the one to handle the money, give me something upfront.  Not interested, Chauffer, take me to the next bank.  I will have a lot of spare time on my hands, with out that load.  New Jersey takes 30-days to come through with the money. transfer  Some where, some place is a greedy banker who wants the publicity for their bank!  I am the man to provide it.  Get money, have money! Get money, good bye USA! Hello Switzerland!  Me and Shania (and her husband) enjoying the Alps - the only way the super rich can!  I'm thinking, if you can afford the top of the line Bently, you can afford to have the road in front of it plowed.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Chewie wrote:  "Thousands of rich people walk around every day, and no one bothers them. "I Agree!

Exactly what I just wrote on another thread.  (By the way, Chewie, Shania supposedly lives up the

road, but she's never invited me over for a drink.)

Glenn123's avatar - praying hands.jpg
        Amarillo,Texas
        United States
        Member #26963
        November 25, 2005
        416 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Till i turn the ticket to claim center.They have ears and eyes,oh don't

forget the mouth!!lol

I might have wandered but i'm not lost!!

USA
          United States
          Member #15380
          May 14, 2005
          54 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Just call me "Casper"

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31358 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Just call me "Casper"

me, too            White Bounce

love to nibble those micey feet.

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              699 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2006, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I would try to remain as anonymous as possible in today's society.  When you have money, everybody wants a piece of it and that's what you have to try to hide from.  In Louisiana, trusts, corporations, and LLCs can claim lottery prizes and in the past, I've only seen them give the name of the entity claiming the ticket and not the members involved.  WIth corporations and LLCs, the members are public records and can easily be found online in most states.

Even so, you can still keep a low profile by not going on a wild spending spree, throwing your money around, etc.  If I could claim it in a way to keep my name out of the papers, I'd probably wait a few months until the excitement died down before making any changes.  I'd also probably move, as part of keeping a low profile.

I just want to live a quiet life.

PrisonerSix

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2006, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

justxploring
                Thanks for the info!

chewie
                Be careful what you ish for...I don;t think fluanting it and calling attention to yourself is a real good idea. Most of the rich folk you mentioned didn't come into it over night and weren't working side by side with other working stiffs the day before they got wealthy.

Prisoner Six

Odd username there! Good post, I agree.

Everyone

The book I mentioned before, here's the full title:

Infinite Financial Freedom, What to do Before and After You Hit the Lottery

by Rob Sanford

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                  Member #567
                  August 14, 2002
                  484 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Everything I've ever read about this suggests getting a P O Box, changing your phone number, and getting out of town for awhile.

I think the more aloof you could be the better off you would be.

I'm remeber reading about one big winner who gave a million dollars to several people. He said every single person he had given a million to blew it and came back to him asking for more.  

Are you serious?!?!??!  You DO NOT go around giving other people a million dollars!  NO!!! YOU DO NOT DO THAT !!! Can you imagine the gift tax charges after all that? 

That's why if you win , win it in a state where you can be anonymous!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #30273
                    January 14, 2006
                    494 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Delaware has two advantages:

1) Anonoymous Lottery Winners

2) Anonoymous Corporations and LLC's

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2006, 2:11 am - IP Logged

Only problem with avoiding the media, and acting negatively towards them, you create an even more memorable event. It is the nice ones people forget, not the violent, and obnoxious ones. Some maybe even target you for being such an idiot.

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #29196
                        December 29, 2005
                        280 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2006, 7:39 am - IP Logged

I agree with sirbrad.  As much as I would like to stand up there and tell the 4th Estate where to go I think the best thing to do is to smile, say little and give them nothing to report on.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2006, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

justxploring
                          Thanks for the info!

chewie
                          Be careful what you ish for...I don;t think fluanting it and calling attention to yourself is a real good idea. Most of the rich folk you mentioned didn't come into it over night and weren't working side by side with other working stiffs the day before they got wealthy.

Prisoner Six

Odd username there! Good post, I agree.

Everyone

The book I mentioned before, here's the full title:

Infinite Financial Freedom, What to do Before and After You Hit the Lottery

by Rob Sanford

Glad you liked my post. For more info on my username, go to http://www.thepennyfarthing.com/ and that will explain where it got it from.

What I'd like to do when I get the money is simply be able to spend my life doing the things I enjoy, mostly pursuing my hobbies and interests, maybe visiting a few far off places, etc.

I'd probably buy a nicer house than I have now, but again, not go overboard. I'd like to have perhaps some bigger rooms and maybe a larger yard with a little space between myself and my neighbors and some nicer amenities, like a larger kitchen and perhaps a whrilpool tub, but I wouldn' t go crazy with it. I'd probably even buy a nicer car, but again the same thing, not going overboard. Something like a Ford Taurus or a Hyundai Sonata comes to mind.

Flashing large sums of cash around is also something I'd never do. I'll never quite understand why Jack Whittaker a $500,000 in cash and traveller's checks in his vehicle. Some people just let it go to their heads.

When mentioning other people who became rich over time, there are many in the entertainment industry who have had to file bankruptcy. If you're not sensible with the money, you'll end up back where you started.

Just a few thoughts.

PrisonerSix

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Chewie wrote:  "Thousands of rich people walk around every day, and no one bothers them. "I Agree!

Exactly what I just wrote on another thread.  (By the way, Chewie, Shania supposedly lives up the

road, but she's never invited me over for a drink.)

If you had a hundred million dollars, she might!  Marth probably wouldn't talk to you, but Shania might.

Cheers

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2006, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Never be afraid of what can't hurt you.  Fear begets fear.  Seen it a thousand times.  Give me a hundred million dollar jackpot, and, as I have said numerous times, two ex-SEALs will provide me all the security I need.  A couple of hundred thousand dollars, and no one will bother you.  Travel the world.  All you need to do is participate in one lousy news conference.  Been in numerous news conferences. Had my pictures in magazine and newspapers.  They are like giving speeches.  No problem!  Know your subject, and you have the advantage.  My subject is me and getting my hands on money.  Not something I haven't thought about a thousand times.  Get money, have money; not more difficult then that!  Oprah, not in my plans.  Jay Leno, not in my plans.  Dave,  not in my plans.  Regis, not in my plans.  I only need one photgraph and one Lottery Directors phone number to support my pitch.  Then, as I've said, off to Switzerland.  How well known are American lottery winners there?  Not very! 

Cheers