Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Black worm

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 11 years ago by konane.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: March 19, 2006, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm very happy that the software worked for you.  I just have a nagging suspicion about it, and there are some negative posts around the internet about it.

Try doing a google search on winantivirus.  In fact, just click this link.

I'm not saying "don't use that software", but do exercise the normal caution that you should whenever considering adding something to your PC.

In the words of one reviewer (which you can find through that Google search), "Industry experts have never tested WinAnti-Virus Pro, and they haven't received any awards. We don't recommend this product."

Just be careful.

I really....really appreciate the time you take out to explain such things.......WOW!!!

Thank You very very much Todd. The info is absorbed.

It is often hard to refuse , despite my better judjement, like in my case. I have to do some backround study...

konane's avatar - wallace
    Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3351 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2006, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't know anything about their virus software but one thing sending a red flag up for me is that I have a custom HOSTS file installed to prevent ad redirection and parasites, which is preventing me from reaching their site after trying several different links to it.   

Good luck to everyone!

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2006, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I don't know anything about their virus software but one thing sending a red flag up for me is that I have a custom HOSTS file installed to prevent ad redirection and parasites, which is preventing me from reaching their site after trying several different links to it.   

I suggest that people who don't have a problem, not to worry. Do Not investigate this if you haven't experienced any problems.

This is only for people like me with problems. Blocks should be taken seriously and left alone.

LottoL's avatar - techno eye.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #33719
        February 24, 2006
        705 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2006, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Computer Associates "Pest Patrol" is pretty good software.

They have a free spyware scan at http://www.pestpatrol.com/

LL

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3114 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2006, 12:41 am - IP Logged

AVG is excellent virus protection and the home edition is totally free.
          http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
          They make the pitch for the Pro version and hide the free version the link above should take you directly to the right page.  It checks email too.
          BobP

konane's avatar - wallace
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #1265
            March 13, 2003
            3351 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged
            This is from the latest Kim Komando newsletter .....
            "A recently formed watchdog group highlighted four programs that break its guidelines. StopBadware.org monitors software for abusive and deceptive practices."
            "Recommended Programs

Although all of the programs listed on this page are worthy of consideration, at present time we officially recommend the following: 

About halfway down the page .....

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm#rec

Good luck to everyone!