Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

johnph77...where did your learn math ?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 11 years ago by johnph77.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #21574
September 11, 2005
138 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2006, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

This has turned out to be an interesting discussion.  Rick, that was too funny!

GuessWhat, thanks for changing the discussion into one that focuses on the idea, rather than the person who put forth the idea.

Do you suppose Todd, you could now offer up some pearls of wisdom to encourage johnph77 to "put up or shut up" in the spirit in which you suggest ?

For as much as you don't care for antagonism on this site; I simply refuse to tolerate propaganga as a reasonable contribution to the lively art of conversation !!!

Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2006, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Since I do not have an opinion on if 0!=1 or not, I went to the Harvard's School of Mathematics web site.  There I found a web page for one of the mathematics professors.  I emailed him asking him if 0!=1 or not.  My email is down right now, but I will certainly post his answer (if he responds) on this thread.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
      Member #26882
      November 23, 2005
      1404 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2006, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Since I do not have an opinion on if 0!=1 or not, I went to the Harvard's School of Mathematics web site.  There I found a web page for one of the mathematics professors.  I emailed him asking him if 0!=1 or not.  My email is down right now, but I will certainly post his answer (if he responds) on this thread.

Now that Should be really Interesting! Now I can't wait to see the reply and I hope the professor does reply!

Poway CA (San Diego County)
        United States
        Member #3489
        January 25, 2004
        14120 Posts
        Posted: March 23, 2006, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Now that Should be really Interesting! Now I can't wait to see the reply and I hope the professor does reply!

I hope so, too.  My email is back up but no response from the professor, yet.  I should probably get an agreement between johnph77 and GuessWhat that they would accept the professor's answer.  I thought about also asking him if buying 2 PowerBall tickets cut my odds of losing in half, but I was afraid that he would not take my question about 0!=1 seriously so I let that one slide.

masslottery's avatar - dragon eye.jpg

United States
          Member #34117
          February 28, 2006
          755 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2006, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

By the numbers Each number below represents a letter in a common word 1234567890

1234: carries heredity                                                                                            456:period of time................................................... ..............................                    567:"I smell a _ _ _;" ..................................................................................................... 890:charged particle.......................................................................................................... =_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  remember its a word game. Type

United States
            Member #34117
            February 28, 2006
            755 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2006, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

By the numbers Each number below represents a letter in a common word 1234567890

1234: carries heredity                                                                                            456:period of time................................................... ..............................                    567:"I smell a _ _ _;" ..................................................................................................... 890:charged particle.......................................................................................................... =_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  remember its a word game. Type

darn i hate when that happens am still learning how to post a tread Mad

United States
              Member #34117
              February 28, 2006
              755 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2006, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

1234: carries heredity                                                                                                  456:period of time                                                                                                        567:"I smell a _ _ _;"                                                                                           890:charged particle                                                                                                                         =_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

United States
                Member #34117
                February 28, 2006
                755 Posts
                Posted: March 23, 2006, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

1234: carries heredity                                                                                                  456:period of time                                                                                                        567:"I smell a _ _ _;"                                                                                           890:charged particle                                                                                                                         =_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

i seem to be haveing a problem lineing this up can someone send me a email on how to correct this problem thanksWhat?

United States
                  Member #21574
                  September 11, 2005
                  138 Posts
                  Posted: March 23, 2006, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

i seem to be haveing a problem lineing this up can someone send me a email on how to correct this problem thanksWhat?

What a concept...

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23262 Posts
                    Posted: March 23, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Use the table feature using the Insert Table button.  Looks like this:

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23262 Posts
                      Posted: March 23, 2006, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

This has turned out to be an interesting discussion.  Rick, that was too funny!

GuessWhat, thanks for changing the discussion into one that focuses on the idea, rather than the person who put forth the idea.

Do you suppose Todd, you could now offer up some pearls of wisdom to encourage johnph77 to "put up or shut up" in the spirit in which you suggest ?

For as much as you don't care for antagonism on this site; I simply refuse to tolerate propaganga as a reasonable contribution to the lively art of conversation !!!

No, but I have some pearls of wisdom for you:  take some "nice pills".

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Thoth's avatar - binary
                        Findlay, Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #4855
                        May 28, 2004
                        400 Posts
                        Posted: March 23, 2006, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Generation!!!!!!!

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

United States
                          Member #21574
                          September 11, 2005
                          138 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Let's go johnph77

What are you waiting for ? ... the Easter Bunny ? ... a Playboy Bunny ?

Gather you FACTS and teach me something...Your brand of Snake Oil is getting old !!!

Thoth's avatar - binary
                            Findlay, Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #4855
                            May 28, 2004
                            400 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2006, 11:52 pm - IP Logged
                            Date: 03/18/98 at 16:39:40
                            Subject: Re: 0 factorial = 1

Denise,

You are correct that 0! = 1 for reasons that are similar to why
                            x^0 = 1. Both are defined that way. But there are reasons for these
                            definitions; they are not arbitrary.

You cannot reason that x^0 = 1 by thinking of the meaning of powers as
                            "repeated multiplications" because you cannot multiply x zero times. 
                            Similarly, you cannot reason out 0! just in terms of the meaning of
                            factorial because you cannot multiply all the numbers from zero down
                            to 1 to get 1.

Mathematicians *define* x^0 = 1 in order to make the laws of exponents
                            work even when the exponents can no longer be thought of as repeated
                            multiplication. For example, (x^3)(x^5) = x^8 because you can add
                            exponents. In the same way (x^0)(x^2) should be equal to x^2 by
                            adding exponents. But that means that x^0 must be 1 because when you
                            multiply x^2 by it, the result is still x^2. Only x^0 = 1 makes sense
                            here.

In the same way, when thinking about combinations we can derive a
                            formula for "the number of ways of choosing k things from a collection
                            of n things." The formula to count out such problems is  n!/k!(n-k)!. 
                            For example, the number of handshakes that occur when everybody in a
                            group of 5 people shakes hands can be computed using n = 5 (five
                            people) and k = 2 (2 people per handshake) in this formula. (So the
                            answer is 5!/(2! 3!) = 10).

Now suppose that there are 2 people and "everybody shakes hands with
                            everybody else."  Obviously there is only one handshake. But what
                            happens if we put n = 2 (2 people) and k = 2 (2 people per handshake)
                            in the formula? We get 2! / (2! 0!).  This is 2/(2 x), where x is the
                            value of 0!. The fraction reduces to 1/x, which must equal 1 since
                            there is only 1 handshake. The only value of 0! that makes sense here
                            is 0! = 1. 

And so we define 0! = 1.

I hope that helps.

-Doctor Sam,  The Math Forum
                            Check out our web site! http://mathforum.org/dr.math/ 

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

United States
                              Member #21574
                              September 11, 2005
                              138 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2006, 3:15 am - IP Logged
                              Date: 03/18/98 at 16:39:40
                              Subject: Re: 0 factorial = 1

Denise,

You are correct that 0! = 1 for reasons that are similar to why
                              x^0 = 1. Both are defined that way. But there are reasons for these
                              definitions; they are not arbitrary.

You cannot reason that x^0 = 1 by thinking of the meaning of powers as
                              "repeated multiplications" because you cannot multiply x zero times. 
                              Similarly, you cannot reason out 0! just in terms of the meaning of
                              factorial because you cannot multiply all the numbers from zero down
                              to 1 to get 1.

Mathematicians *define* x^0 = 1 in order to make the laws of exponents
                              work even when the exponents can no longer be thought of as repeated
                              multiplication. For example, (x^3)(x^5) = x^8 because you can add
                              exponents. In the same way (x^0)(x^2) should be equal to x^2 by
                              adding exponents. But that means that x^0 must be 1 because when you
                              multiply x^2 by it, the result is still x^2. Only x^0 = 1 makes sense
                              here.

In the same way, when thinking about combinations we can derive a
                              formula for "the number of ways of choosing k things from a collection
                              of n things." The formula to count out such problems is  n!/k!(n-k)!. 
                              For example, the number of handshakes that occur when everybody in a
                              group of 5 people shakes hands can be computed using n = 5 (five
                              people) and k = 2 (2 people per handshake) in this formula. (So the
                              answer is 5!/(2! 3!) = 10).

Now suppose that there are 2 people and "everybody shakes hands with
                              everybody else."  Obviously there is only one handshake. But what
                              happens if we put n = 2 (2 people) and k = 2 (2 people per handshake)
                              in the formula? We get 2! / (2! 0!).  This is 2/(2 x), where x is the
                              value of 0!. The fraction reduces to 1/x, which must equal 1 since
                              there is only 1 handshake. The only value of 0! that makes sense here
                              is 0! = 1. 

And so we define 0! = 1.

I hope that helps.

-Doctor Sam,  The Math Forum
                              Check out our web site! http://mathforum.org/dr.math/ 

Congratulations, You have proven the world really is FLAT ! (or is it round ?; I never could keep it straight).

Now that you've had your fun with what must be the most ambiguously USELESS scrap of trivia; perhaps YOU (since johnph77 >>> CAN'T <<<)
                              would like to address the reason for this thread:

Reference:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/130772

johnph77 posted a lot of "Formula(s)" and "Possibilities" which to me, appear to come from ... well ... all cynicism aside ... The TWILIGHT ZONE !!!

Would you or ANYONE care to offer PROOF and VERIFICATION (as was NAUSEATINGLY requested by me in this thread) of this "new" math ?

Otherwise,

The "Pied Piper" (I think his REAL name is John) went that-a-way...