Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Read Before It's Too Late!

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 11 years ago by csfb.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #23806
October 16, 2005
188 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2006, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

That's one of the best stories I have ever read.  It kind of reminds of me and the Navy.

1. September 20, 2004, Lent $50 to a "friend"  so he can fill gas in his big SUV.  I never saw him again when he got out of the Navy.

2. February 13, 2003(my birthday).  Lent another "friend" $250.  The next day he attempted Suicide.  I never heard of him again.

3. January 3, 2002. Len another "Friend" $450 so he can fix his Air conditioner in his junky trailer house.  It was 99 degrees out.  2 months later, He got kicked out of the Navy for drug use. Never heard of him again.

4. August 03, 2001. Lent a friend $20 for gas money.  AFter I went to boot camp, he ran away from home.  Never saw hima gain.

Who are my friends? I ask myself... do I have any friends?  Do my dates really like me? Or do they want my money? 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2006, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like your money is cursed. Not good for the lottery! LOL

United States
      Member #23806
      October 16, 2005
      188 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2006, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like your money is cursed. Not good for the lottery! LOL

oh my gosh.. YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

Would you lend me some of your lucky money please?

I'm going to send my money to my worst enemy

Washington
        United States
        Member #34875
        March 9, 2006
        6 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2006, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

I never lend money to friends and they never lend money to me.  But we empathize with each other.  I am in danger of losing my job ........ and my friends are sympathetic.......but I'd never ask them for money.....just sell my house and material possessions and/or get another job.  It's the same with one of my best friends from work.  She lost her job last year.....had to take a cut in pay.....I couldn't help her but I was there for moral support.  Depending on the amount of money I won, I'd give friends and co-workers a nice gift  (we'd have a great party!)  but keep enough for me that I would be able to buy a house outright and never have to work again.  Of course, I'd be relocating too....lol.  I've been wanting to move to the west coast where my children are and buy a cruising boat.  Nobody would need to know I won the lottery.  I have only stayed here because the cost of living is less,  I have a house that's been hard to sell, and a job that barely kept the bills paid until now.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Well my money is not much luckier, I keep losing it all to the powerball and never hear anything back either...Some friend the powerball is. Always extremely rich, and very greedy.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

After reading this thread, I realize just how blessed I am.  None of my blood relatives have ever asked me for money, even though I know I'm better off financially than any of them.  I have given money a number of times to one of them, but would never expect anything back, as her financial situation is very bad and always will be due to her health. 

And my neighbors - you just can't imagine all the things they have done for me.  They may not have given me money, but the things they've done are worth a lot.  One mows my lawn twice a week.  (For nothing.  He wouldn't consider taking money for it! Says he enjoys doing it and getting the exercise.  And he'd probably still insist on doing it after I won the lottery!)  They clean the gutters on my two-story house.  They do various fix-it things around the house.  One took me to the hospital in a neighboring town and waited for me while I had a procedure - and she's not a close friend, just a casual acquaintance.  We see each other just a few times a year.  None would ever ask for money; I'm quite sure all are better off than I am.  But I couldn't imagine them ever asking for anything even if I won a $100 million lottery.

Same goes for my friends.  I just can't imagine any of them asking for anything if I won.  That's just the way they are.  I would gift something to a few of the closest ones, but frankly, I think I'd have to do some convincing to even get them to take it.

Does age have anything to do with it?  Most of my friends and neighbors are age 60-plus and at least half of them are age 70-plus.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2006, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Uff-DA, Does that name mean sunshine?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: March 25, 2006, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

uff da! sounds like your already lucky considering you have that many people who are good to you and true.......

Washington State
                  United States
                  Member #33973
                  February 26, 2006
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: March 25, 2006, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

LOL, no definitely not.  "Uff da" is a Scandinavian expression of disgruntlement, like oops, ouch, drats or good grief.  It is an expression often used instead of the much less polite one, "Oh, #$%&!"

So my use of "Uff da" as a username on this site is as in "Uff da, I spent six dollars on last night's MegaMillion tickets and didn't get a single number right!"

I always liked the joke commonly heard among Norwegian-Americans:  "Uff da" is when you step over a cowpie.  "Fee da" is when you step in it.

For more about "uff da" see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uff_da

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: March 25, 2006, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

LOL, no definitely not.  "Uff da" is a Scandinavian expression of disgruntlement, like oops, ouch, drats or good grief.  It is an expression often used instead of the much less polite one, "Oh, #$%&!"

So my use of "Uff da" as a username on this site is as in "Uff da, I spent six dollars on last night's MegaMillion tickets and didn't get a single number right!"

I always liked the joke commonly heard among Norwegian-Americans:  "Uff da" is when you step over a cowpie.  "Fee da" is when you step in it.

For more about "uff da" see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uff_da

Thanx. I just asked because if you spell the word sunlight or sunshine phoenetically in Farsi ( Iranian language ) it would look like uff da. Therefore I thought you were Iranian. Especially with that mosaic avatar...LOL

Washington State
                      United States
                      Member #33973
                      February 26, 2006
                      347 Posts
                      Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

pacattack said:

Therefore I thought you were Iranian. Especially with that mosaic avatar...LOL

LOL!  I'm a quilter. The avatar is one of the quilts I designed. Isn't it funny how things can provide different clues to us about people?  And sometimes we can be far off in our assumptions.   

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Do you speak Pig Latin? Uff Da!?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Great story!  Thank you. Sad, but true.  I also don't agree with it 100%.  I guess it depends, as Sirbrad points out, on your belief system. If you need to test your friends to begin with, then they're not friends in the first place. This whole idea goes back to the movie that's on tv every year at Christmas. James Stuart almost loses everything and would go to jail, but his friends all pitch in to save him because he's been such a kind and generous person all of his life.  But that opens up a whole can of worms. When all those people lost their homes during the hurricanes, should we decide who is the nicest or kindest person or who is the most needy?

"He told them he was embarrassed and ashamed, but that he didn't know where else to turn. And he asked them all for the money! After calling his 20 best friends that Bruce had helped in the past, 19 of them said NO!"

BTW, this doesn't indicate that these people were being selfish or simply didn't have extra cash to help out.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Great story!  Thank you. Sad, but true.  I also don't agree with it 100%.  I guess it depends, as Sirbrad points out, on your belief system. If you need to test your friends to begin with, then they're not friends in the first place. This whole idea goes back to the movie that's on tv every year at Christmas. James Stuart almost loses everything and would go to jail, but his friends all pitch in to save him because he's been such a kind and generous person all of his life.  But that opens up a whole can of worms. When all those people lost their homes during the hurricanes, should we decide who is the nicest or kindest person or who is the most needy?

A comedian once said, "Nobody really goes to heaven, the only people that go to heaven are maids named Maria".

Your last line was brilliant. In time of disorder, like after a hurricane, people come together despite what their belief system is.

It's kinda funny, one has to make a real life decision on these matters. What really is important in the end is how your conscience is on your death bed. I've been in similar situations, when all the problems I thought I had went right out the window. I took advantage of those real life and death feelings that one might experience, and used that experience as a guide tool in the areas of temper, judgement, and general everyday attempts on how to respond in certain situations.

I'm not saying I have to strive to be a saint. As long as I'm in this physical body, the temptations of the flesh will always try to infiltrate the mind. I have to discern what is mind trickery or spiritual. It's a juggling act because all of them are intertwined, I think. The brain/mind/ spirit. That's definitely a family secret....LOL

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2006, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

It's my personal belief that humans have derived by a mutation of the early apes. Either UFOS or Satan himself have seeded what we now know, as a smarter version of the original, and progression of mental capacity today. i.e. The industrial revolution, the computer age, nano-technology, Robotics by the Japanese, etc....... 

The brain is a remarkable machine. They have experiments with volunteers who are conscience, and have a technician gently touch parts of the brain. The hallucinations felt by the volunteers were of many sorts. However, most of them were spiritual. The light, a tunnel, entities...etc....

So, the battle in my mind will either get answered by some divine intervention, or never. I'm used to it.

10 billion neurons firing simultaneously, I think........