Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Personal Problem.. Advice requested

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 11 years ago by tntea.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Konformthismfs's avatar - lisasham
CA
United States
Member #4429
April 23, 2004
426 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Forget the writing/calling, i'd go down there in person to either get it fixed once and for all or get my money back! Did you check with the BBB before ordering? The next customer won't either! Loss of customers is the only thing big business understands, if they can't make it right to you, drop'em....

It's not what you got,  It's what you give,  It's not the life you choose, It's the life you live! Guitar

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2006, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

tenaj

That is true...always some scruffy old man that doesn't look like he can hardly get out of bed much less install cable.

I have now noticed that the Big Box stores like Best Buy, Tweeter, etc. are using their own employees now for installation around here. They are held accountable for their actions and guarantee satisfaction. I like that. Especially since we are building in Regent Park and will need a couple plasmas installed CORRECTLY not half-arsed.

Yes NodAt least there are still some companies out there with accountability. 

takeemtothebank

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2006, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

I cannot believe I even try dealing with this company.

I had their tv cable for a few years.. I cancelled it because the cost went up and service (qualitiy ) went down.. I moved to PrimeStar for a while and now have direct TV..

Before I cancelled I had them service the house because of fuzzy picture.. and they laid new cable.. and when I say Laid.. I mean.. right on top of ground. They were to come and bury the cable the next day..

Later that month.. still laying there.. I called and cancelled the service and got PrimeStar.. The cable kept laying there. I kept receiving bills and had to call them each month.. This went on for 6 months..

I kept telling them that the cable was laying on top of the yard and I didn't have any tv hooked up to Cable.. but to Primestar.. They turned me over to credit bureau.. which made my blood boil.

Luckily I had asked for a confirmation number when I called the first time to cancel. That was the only way the bills stopped and the credit cleared..  On the 7th month, I called the company and told them I disconnected the cable from my house myself and laid the wire out next to the road. They seem surprised that it wasn't under the ground. (duh)  I had told them each month when I made my complaint call .. and told them that I was having to move it to mow the grass.. (What a pain~)

The only reason I agreed to try their internet cable was because how everyone talked about how great it is..

The telemarketing that cancelled my order for me last month was trying to hook me with cable tv instead of internet.. I guess that person had nothing better to do than scratch his a$$ and decided he would make some life changes for me..

Now if this doesn't raise my blood pressure, I dont know what will...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2006, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

No one can lay underground cable in one day. You would have to check permits (right of way) plus mark out existing utilities. If it crosses a street that's a seperate permit usually. The only time you can tell you are close is when they mark out the existing utilites since the spray power is only good for a few days especially if it rains.

md
          United States
          Member #14047
          April 20, 2005
          579 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2006, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I had a similiar situation with Comcast last year. I kept calling and researching until I received a Regional Manager.  I already had cable, but wanted them to be my internet provider also.  Part of the problem was that comcast outsourced their installation service to local subcontractors. The other part of the problem was the rude customer service I received, from the reps. hanging up on me or putting me on hold forever.  My wife could tell you, I kept calling until I got names of higher officilas. 

The outcome was my installation was free, and my bill of cable that month also was given free.  In total I came out dollar wise about $450. But I was pit-bull tenancious.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            11906 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2006, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Calling the BBB is a waste of time. Tell them that you are going to get your local newspaper to do a story on their imcompetence. They'll be there within the hour, probably for free.

It's not really a waste of time.  You may not get any action but they log the complaint along with any others.  After a certain amount of similar complaints they act on it by sending a letter to the company President, giving them a certain amount of time to fix the problem. They are not there to react to every coomplaint that comes through, but by your discription of the service you have recieved, they probably already have a list of complaints on them.  the power of the pen does reap its reward down the road most of the time.

Keep going over there heads:  supervisors, managers, regionals, presidents. CEO's.  copy all of them on one letter. Trust me down the line nobody wants their boss to find out that they are screwing up.

In the past my wife has written letters to:

Sherwin Williams, H&R Block, RJ Reynolds, Ford,,etc...with positive results, on some faulty products. 

I certainly understand your frustration and I wish you luck.  

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Manitoba
              Canada
              Member #5566
              July 11, 2004
              133 Posts
              Posted: May 10, 2006, 9:52 am - IP Logged

You could try calling the manager at home at 3 A.M.  4 or 5 times in a row.

Don't any of you people have a satalite dish? You know, for TV and internet service. 

undress's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                roseville, MI
                United States
                Member #5980
                July 30, 2004
                18205 Posts
                Posted: May 10, 2006, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Hey Tntea sounds like a joke of a company, can you get talkamerica in your area. they have a dsl....4mb/s. 24.00 a month no taxes.....

Mad ALL IN!Mad

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: May 10, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

No one can lay underground cable in one day. You would have to check permits (right of way) plus mark out existing utilities. If it crosses a street that's a seperate permit usually. The only time you can tell you are close is when they mark out the existing utilites since the spray power is only good for a few days especially if it rains.

After that call, the next day someone from the company and buried the cable. They used a trencher to run it to the house.. The house that no longer had their services..

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #20729
                    August 24, 2005
                    30 Posts
                    Posted: May 10, 2006, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Total all your expenses:fees, time off from work, sitter costs, mileage, lawn repair, etc.

File a claim in Small Claims Court for a nominal fee ($10-$25) to recoup your losses.

Make them pay for their incompetence. 

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                      FEMA Region V Camp #21
                      United States
                      Member #520
                      July 27, 2002
                      5699 Posts
                      Posted: May 10, 2006, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

In my whole life I've never heard of a cable contractor "forgetting his truck" (twice???). Do the cable contractors in your town walk around with ladders strapped to their backs pulling a little red wagon behind them with their tools and parts?

Thinking of...

This guy's a fish and you know what he smells like.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: May 10, 2006, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

i had a problem with best buy like this here a couple years ago.i had a vcr and dvd recorder i needed hooked up to my tv.well they kept rescheduling appointments and then when they did come the man couldn't figure out how to get everything hooked up.after going through all these follies i took the stuff back and got my money back.only thing is i couldn't get cash back they had to mail me a check in the mail.which they mailed and then i mysteriously never got so they put a stop on that check and issued another one.two or three months later i got my check,lol........

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                          Clarksville
                          United States
                          Member #487
                          July 15, 2002
                          17638 Posts
                          Posted: May 10, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Tn Tea, I would go straight to the TV people.  That is a serious complaint about bad, very sloppy business.  Also if your paper had a column where you can write to the editor, send them a copy of your post..if nothing else, it will warn others to stay away from this sorry company.  PS..YES, ASK FOR MONEY BACK..ALL OF IT!!

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: May 10, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Well 24 hours were up.. So I made my nightly call to WHO..

the cable company.. just a nightly routine..

This time I was told that they were scheduled tomorrow to be here and I didn't have to be at home..

They said they could tell from there I didn't have problems inside the house but outside.

I asked why couldn't they tell that before.. but of course this young man couldn't answer..

I was told I probably needed a new line ran.. I told him about the line that was on the ground for months before it was buried.  I also let them know I would not be mowing around another cable line..

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: May 11, 2006, 12:02 am - IP Logged

Would turning this over to BBB do any good? What would you do? 

It's never a waste of time filing a complaint, but I don't have much faith in the BBB. It's a self-regulated organization that accepts dues from the very people we complain about, and often the complaints do nothing to resolve the consumer's problems. From what I understand, almost every used car dealer is a member of its local BBB. 

As others have said, try writing to newspapers, tv stations and other consumer advocate groups. I hope you get this ordeal resolved.  Just be careful if you think they actually might show up on Thurs. I'm only saying this because once you are a customer, you don't want even more aggravation and they'll have you earmarked as a trouble maker, even though you have every right to be upset. I've had big problems with Comcast (cable tv) but they're the only game in town. I won my fight, but it took a lot of screaming. They completely rewired my half of the duplex I rent to fix a problem and it didn't make one bit of difference in the picture. All it took was a 10 second adjustment! This was after at least 5 visits when they finally convinced me the work had to be done. My landlord said it was okay to drill holes in the crawl space and wall, but I'd have to pay. I ended up getting a credit toward my monthly bill for a couple of months, but because I was on auto-pay at the time, the disputed charge came right out of my checking account. 

File a claim in Small Claims Court for a nominal fee ($10-$25) to recoup your losses.

Are you sure? More than 11 years ago I filed a complaint in Small Claims Court and it was $150 just to file. I think it's based on the dollar amount of the claim, but the minimum cost is much higher than $10 or $25.  I was trying to get a security deposit back. Most of the time people just keep them, even if you leave a place spotless. It's such a scam. In Florida there is an additional fee to cover the cost for serving the person you are suing (ya know, when someone from the Sheriff's Office says "Mr. Jones you are served.") I'm not sure if this is true for every area. Then, even if you win, try collecting the money. A company/corp is even more complicated.

BTW, I'm not trying to be negative, but those of you who think TnTea can get reimbursed for loss of work, personal time, etc. are dreaming IMHO. If not, let me know and I'll move to your town.  If I got reimbursed for the incompetence of others, I could retire.  I wish Comcast would just credit me for the days I had no service a couple of weeks ago. Somebody on my street moved and they shut my cable off by mistake. Guess they can't tell the difference between 4192 and 4219 XXXX Lane. That took 4 phone calls and lots of yelling, days without tv, but I finally convinced someone to schedule a visit when I was at work. I was told they NEVER can do that because I need to be home. I knew that they screwed up, and they kept telling me I had to be home in case they needed to get in my apartment. After winning my argument, when I got home that night, I had a picture. Go figure.

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.

(OMG.  I just saw my post. Didn't realize it was so long..and I deleted a paragraph too. Sorry.)