Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

State lotteries and us, the players.

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LckyLary.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do the lotteries look at us as customers or chumps?

Customers, it's a business [ 17 ]  [30.36%]
Players [ 3 ]  [5.36%]
Addicted gamblers [ 4 ]  [7.14%]
Dreamers [ 2 ]  [3.57%]
Chumps, marks [ 10 ]  [17.86%]
Both customers and chumps [ 20 ]  [35.71%]
Other, please explain [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 56 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2006, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

NYers are the stupidest lottery players in the US if not the world. They (not me) don't give a dam about NY Lotto's 38%-40% payout or its annuity-only scratches.

Which is more stupid? -- driving 100 miles and paying over $25 for gas (roundtrip) for a few $1 tickets or just buying tickets at your local convenience store, hoping you'll win 40%?  if I lived in New York, I'd choose the latter and I'm not stupid.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2006, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Customers and chumps! All of us have been both more often than we'd like to admit!

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2006, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I don't like calling people stupid but tell me something justxploring: Which one shows someone not been smart.
      Why play a pick10 from 1 to 80 and knowing that the jackpot is not even 6% of a game that is available in your state (NY) (megamillions & NY Lotto) and that the second prize pays in mega millions pays 250,000 and as it is right now in NY lotto pays 100,000...If you can't match 6 number you can match 5...

Why will you play NY pick10 (don't know if is keno) when you know that if you match 9 numbers is 0.05% of the first prize in Megamillions or if you match 8 numbers is going to be 0.0025% of the first prize in megamillions...And the sadest part if that abbreviated wheels for pick10 requires enormous amount of combinations...I don't understand...You can't say now that they are attracted by the big jackpots. Unless i was part of the team in the movie Predator1, (ought to catch this thing) i will not play that game...You first go in stages, you jump to pick7 and then pick8, but you just don't jump from pick6 to pick10 like that....Both players and game creators show lack of i don't know smartness/intelligence...And worse these pick10 games do not offer people money for matching 1, 2 and perhaps 3 numbers....It saddens me to know that the government allow such games to run...If the NY pick10 offered a 400 million dollar starting jackpot/reward for the first prize then i wouldn't complaint, but dear Lord!!..

"Keno is "the demon who makes trophies of men"............you can't see it.........and it skins them.........."                                            from movie "Predator 1"......

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: June 26, 2006, 12:24 am - IP Logged

What they need to do is research any lottery before starting one. What most lottery i think do is the following. If the game has let's say 30,000 combinations that are the most likely ones to play, they will still raise it to 800,000 or more so as to secure the game. They are afraid that someone my spend 30,000 combinations and hit the lottery over and over. And my thing is, what percentage of the population can afford to make a 30,000 bet at once over and over, even if he loses the first or second time....Yeah i know it was done before that someone played 100 of thousand of combinations, but the likelyhood of that happening again is so small and i think it was prohibited (some australia guy, so i heard)....There is only so many lottery retailers/bussiness that sell lottery in a state, and so many hours that you can dedicate to playing the playslips and letting the machine chew the bets...Is even worse in foreign countries where they have less bussinessess selling lottery tickets than any U.S state ....

"...For the glory of Rome........"

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: June 26, 2006, 7:48 am - IP Logged

I voted customers and chumps. But they probably look at us as more of a nuisance. Interrupts their socializing with the other lottery employees.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: June 26, 2006, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

The people that start lotteries have their glasses (vision/view) sort of distorted. I don't think these people think about the female sex when they start this things. They just think of males when they create any games....They are sort of blind in one section..I am willing to be that i am 100% right...

".....For the glory of Rome....."

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

The people that start lotteries have their glasses (vision/view) sort of distorted. I don't think these people think about the female sex when they start this things. They just think of males when they create any games....They are sort of blind in one section..I am willing to be that i am 100% right...

Pumpi:

Maybe it's all done by females, the business of starting lotteries.  Heterosexual, blossoming, nubile females.  Maybe males are the uppermost thing on their minds.

I'm betting you're 100 percent right about something, also.  I'm just not certain which area to look for it.

Interesting post.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8362 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2006, 12:40 am - IP Logged

i dont know what they think about females as compaired to men but i will bet that more women collect from the lottery than men do.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2006, 2:17 am - IP Logged

four4me I meant to say, when they set the bar on a lottery, they usually have a all-male mentality, i am sure...I don't think that more women collect than men, but i could be wrong. And if they are more women collecting than men, they are older matured women/females but i don't think that women in general surpass men when it comes to lottery betting...

Wish women won the million-dollars lotteries instead of men....

"..MOre important than winning all the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet"......."

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2006, 2:21 am - IP Logged

especially when the one with long nails is on the phone and gives me that come hither look and as soon as i lay my playslips down looks at me like i'm a loser........

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: July 1, 2006, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Very good point. I agree -- I've wondered about that in  the past.  There are a LOT of females that play the lottery, seems to me. At least from what I've seen over the years in the stores. At LEAST as many women as men.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10352 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2006, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

As video poker came into being, Gambler's Anonymous saw a lot more females coming to them than they ever had before.

Psychological studeis have shown that for some people gambling is a sexual substitute.  

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2006, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Rip Snorter you said:

"....Maybe it's all done by females, the business of starting lotteries......" "..... Maybe males are the uppermost thing on their minds....."

....Is impossible!!, it is impossible that is or was done by females...I don't care what kind of woman it is, is impossible that the bussiness of setting the odds, or of raising the bar is done by a women. Just straight impossible...I don't care what they have on their minds...Is was done by a certain kind of males...You are going to tell me that women, where the ones that push for the creation of powerball or keno [150,000,000 odds, meaning it has 150,000,000 and something combinations]? Please!!...

"....Oh Stanley: good job!......."      from movie "Swordfish".....      "..For the glory of Rome..."

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2006, 3:35 am - IP Logged

they could have made the bonus balls in Powerball to be 1 to 22-25 but NO!, they opted out a 1-42/44 range for bonus ball. please, that's makes the game the strongest sucker. They don't give the matter consideration....Women: No, Men: yes...

"....More important than winning all the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet"....."

United States
                              Member #10720
                              January 23, 2005
                              933 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2006, 7:45 am - IP Logged

It's something that people enjoy and that provides funds to certain State programs. An alternate and more fun way of giving to charity with sometimes a big reward.