Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would you still play?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

would you still play if here soon mega millions and powerball raised the matrix again?

yes i would still play [ 21 ]  [43.75%]
no i would not play again [ 15 ]  [31.25%]
not sure i'd have to think about it [ 12 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2006, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

would you still play if mega millions and powerball were to raise the matrix again here soon?

Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2006, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

as much as i love both games i do believe eventually the players will complain if it does get raised again soon.....

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2006, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

The "allure" of a bigger jackpot I can't hit would not warm my heart one bit. 

Was NOT happy when MM raised its matrix so don't $pend the $$$$ I once did on it.  Don't play Powerball through friends in Powerball states like I once did either. 

Both matrices are high enough as they are now. .... and both need to realize that a higher one just might be shooting themselves in the foot.

Good luck to everyone!

Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2006, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

i agree konane.i think if they would've kept the matrix like 5/49 i would play all the time.now that its up near sixty i just watch the results for fun.i don't buy any tickets that much anymore......

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3333 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

i agree konane.i think if they would've kept the matrix like 5/49 i would play all the time.now that its up near sixty i just watch the results for fun.i don't buy any tickets that much anymore......

I'm as inflexible on matrix changes as Cash is on annuities because they reach a point of diminishing returns and implode.

It all sounds great when some pencil neck geeks present it to lotteries with all razzmatazz projection$$$$ for $$$$ales.

In the real world where the rubber meets the road it's a shakedown of players who fail to count how much they spend. 

...... But there's always gambling anonymous for those who keep running after the ever growing carrot which is what lotteries count on.

Agree, Lotomike.  High jackpots are an illusion if the matrix is so high you can't win the beginning jackpot, or some lesser prize as a token for efforts and expenditure.  They're after all not a charity so expect to be able to win every once in awhile ................ and further quit spending when I don't.  And I'm not that bad a ball picker so create my own "luck."

Good luck to everyone!

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: June 17, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

No Way!!!! These games are impossible to beat as it is!!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: June 17, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Playing any game with more than a half million combinations doesn't make sense regardless of the "potential reward".

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2006, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Good luck retiring from winning a lottery game with less than half a million combinations. I suppose you could if you won it twenty times in a row, but it's impossible if you only beat those odds once. The whole point of Powerball and Mega Millions is to have to beat such astronomical odds to win the top prize, but if you beat them just once you can retire. Despite the recent low jackpot wins in Mega Millions, I don't see it increasing its matrix anytime soon so long as it doesn't let in any more states. Powerball probably will increase its matrix again when Florida can play.

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                  Mid-Missouri
                  United States
                  Member #644
                  August 31, 2002
                  4271 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2006, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I would continue to play if they raised the matrix but only if they substantially raised the lower level prizes as well. And I mean by a bunch...

Best of Luck,

Bryan  :)

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                    Member #91
                    January 19, 2002
                    11924 Posts

I suppose I would play, but I would give up trackng and predicting (not that it helps that much) and play $2 on one set of my numbers and one quick pick, Just to be in it.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts

I guess I would have to think about it. I don't want them to raise the matrix, but I would still probably by a couple of tickets every now and then.

Dance like no one is watching.

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: June 17, 2006, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

If mega-millions/powerball made the second prize, the 5of 6 payout to be 475,000 for 1 more number then i will embrace it, or 600,000 [the second prize 5of 6] for 2 more numbers then i would embrace it [is the only thing i can think of they will do]. Less than that i will not embrace it...
                        However i will not embrace it 100% because powerball and mega millions are not a tri-state lotteries...

".................Keno is "el diablo cazador de hombres".........you can't see it............and it skins them..........                                      from movie "Predator"..........

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: June 17, 2006, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

It all depends. What are the overall odds? I don't really care about winning a jackpot, seeing it probably will never happen, but I do care, very much, about my odds of breaking even or winning a good smaller prize.

(insert signature here)

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5114 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2006, 12:02 am - IP Logged

"NO"..........my mama told

me to not PLAY the LOTTERY in the first PLACE...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Don't Mess with MAMA"

LOL

PSYKOMO 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2006, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Well if Mega can't get it up so to speak then there are three choices.

1. Do nothing and watch sales tank.

2. Change the price of each ticket to $2 instead of $1.

3. Change the matrix of the game.

In all three options people will complain. Option one results in complaints from participating states about low sales and players wanting large jackpots. Option two results in complains about the price conscience and the $1 players (who become $2 players). Option three gets the usual complaints about the high odds.

Changing the price maybe the best option now. Players really complained in Canada when the 6/49 game changed it's price but now the 6/49 game is better than it's ever been without an odds change.

If jackpots remain low you can bet there will be a change. If lotteries privatize than those changes will be far faster than they are now. States are in the lottery business for money and low jackpots don't generate that money.