Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would you still play?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

would you still play if here soon mega millions and powerball raised the matrix again?

yes i would still play [ 21 ]  [43.75%]
no i would not play again [ 15 ]  [31.25%]
not sure i'd have to think about it [ 12 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2006, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I've said this before, it would not surprise me one bit if the lottery officials of a state or a few states monitored this board. If they indeed do just that, it also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't monitor threads like this one especially close, in fact, making bets among themselves that no matter what the proposed matrix, someone will still say, "Sure, I'd play."

Take that a step further, and it wouldn't surprise me if in the future, one of those matrixes was increased to a point where no one should really play it, but those lottery officials (HELLO THERE MR/MS LURKING LOTTERY OFFICIAL See Ya! ) decided that if even one person said they'd play it, they went ahead and increased the matrix.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5121 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2006, 12:46 am - IP Logged

I've said this before, it would not surprise me one bit if the lottery officials of a state or a few states monitored this board. If they indeed do just that, it also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't monitor threads like this one especially close, in fact, making bets among themselves that no matter what the proposed matrix, someone will still say, "Sure, I'd play."

Take that a step further, and it wouldn't surprise me if in the future, one of those matrixes was increased to a point where no one should really play it, but those lottery officials (HELLO THERE MR/MS LURKING LOTTERY OFFICIAL See Ya! ) decided that if even one person said they'd play it, they went ahead and increased the matrix.

I Agree! ......but,,,,,,,,,,,,they won't MESS with MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"EITHER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they may be crazzzzzzzziiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but not"STUPID".....................----------yettttt !!

LOL

PSYKOMOUS Flag 

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2006, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Coin toss you are so right. It wouldn't surprise me if the state has been monitoring this site, and post like this too.

i am sorry, i totally missed it, i was kind of selfish, [just to make you see where avarice could take you] not only would i want them to increase the second prize jackpot of 5of 6 but they should go ahead and increase the third prize [4of 5 + bonus ball]. It currently pays 10,000. If they added 1 more ball, they should increase the third prize [4of 5 + bonus ball] to 25,000 and if they increase 2 balls guessing i'll say to at least 40,000...This is the prize that interests the most...

What they should not do is increase the bonus ball range. In the first place i think they made a mistake, and i think they should have lefted the range of the bonus ball to be from 1 to 28-34...Again you control how much you rake in by controlling the limit of the bonus ball...i am not an expert in lotto but like how i said in previous post, if you want to start a lottery, you should make simulations, test it against strategic attacks, the X amount of days you can withstand attacks, etc, etc, etc, etc, you just don't start a lottery like that...Another thing they don't have in mind is that what are the odds [and is the CORRECT word], that someone is going to play 15,000 combinations by himself, when the number of lottery retailers is so limited, and their hours that you can play is limited, perhaps the lottery retailers hours of operation are limited, and the percentage of the population that is well-off is only but so much...I bet 99.9% of players have house payments, car payment, credit car payments, Kids payments [you can think of them as vehicles]here in the U.S, now imagine people in the third world ....Thinking about this just, makes me think how the third world could design their own lotto/powerball/mega-millions, etc...It also makes me think that theoretically there are better lottery (powerball) configurations that could work, with better mass-impact: something like the perfect mass-impact lotto configuration.....i am starting to drift!....

i think that if Powerball charge 2 dollars, the jackpot will be twice what it currently pays. Powerball will not make it if they started charging 2 dollars though. i believe is worse to have a pick6 game from 1-30 and charge 2 dollars than to have a pick6 game that's from 1-40 and charges only 1 dollar. It doesn't give people a chance to defend/arm themselves....

"....If a robot can't make it; a  w******   can't make it....."    ...from movie "Red Planet"..."

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2006, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Any change will result in a short term down turn in sales. However if sales are already down from low jackpots then there is less risk.

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2006, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva: Adding 2 balls to the game [not the bonus ball] will not result in low sales. i'll guess that 99.9778% of Powerball players are ignorant about lotteries. They see the jackpot money not if 2 balls were added. Remember is a multi-state game. If Powerball was played in 1 state, then yes, there is a probablilty it could lower sales..I say the sales will remain the same...You also need to know the amount/quantity of new players to every draw. I think the amount of players for Powerball is the same give or take 7K of new people playing...
          i think a 1-60 game yes will startle players and the rest of the viewers/population. However to increase sells they need to advertise on tv. I bet clothing button are more advertise that mega-millions on tv. LIke in sport events on tv, and outdoors..

don't want to drift much here but about a mass-impact lotto, i would also get into supercomputers and ways to crack the lotto and i would do a "strategic census" in a state/country to monitor "brown/black male ANGELS and other kinds of female ANGELS" based on their heights and find out about their status, and then i would work accordingly and try to save them if they are up to their waist...

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2006, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

MISSING PIECE:

with the ultimate lotto forecast website....Laugh all you want, but remember it takes 30 years to pay off a house, 26 years to see a kid develop, 5 years to pay off a car every 20 years and the average life-span is 72...

"...Bullets don't kill people: incoming electronic missiles do..."   

"...More important than winning all the World's lotteries, is finding a way to crack pick3 & pick4...."

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2006, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

While increasing the matrices does usually result in higher average jackpots, it also increases the threshold at which draw sales take off, as evidenced by the following blurb from The Texas Lotto Report:
              Feb 20, 2004 - $230M Jackpot - Draw Sales: $112,392,806
              Nov 15, 2005 - $315M Jackpot - Draw Sales: $104,813,365

You can find that on the TLR results page. For some reason, the website's URL is censored.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2006, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

It takes 5 years only if you are foolish enough to go into debt for a car.

It's the declining sales that make me think the price might change. The 300 million pot has to be put into perspective since at that time Powerball also was having 300 million pots. Now no game is getting big so sales might be higher when it finally does break 300. 

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2006, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Well if Mega can't get it up so to speak then there are three choices.

1. Do nothing and watch sales tank.

2. Change the price of each ticket to $2 instead of $1.

3. Change the matrix of the game.

In all three options people will complain. Option one results in complaints from participating states about low sales and players wanting large jackpots. Option two results in complains about the price conscience and the $1 players (who become $2 players). Option three gets the usual complaints about the high odds.

Changing the price maybe the best option now. Players really complained in Canada when the 6/49 game changed it's price but now the 6/49 game is better than it's ever been without an odds change.

If jackpots remain low you can bet there will be a change. If lotteries privatize than those changes will be far faster than they are now. States are in the lottery business for money and low jackpots don't generate that money. 

Actually there are three other options you haven't mentioned:

1. Lengthen the annuity timespan so's to make the jackpots appear larger without doing anything at all.  That one has the advantage of allowing an increase in ticket prices by a buck without a raise in the cost of doing business, sometime shortly thereafter.  Everyone on the inside rakes off 100 percent more without any change in the odds, ticket sales remain high, and everyone gets a pay raise.
                  2. Vote the graveyards using a technique similar to that used by Kennedy/Johnson in the 1960 election.  Create some foundations and imaginary winners, stage some press releases with people who are as real as the big checks real winners hold.  Allow a real person to win about every third jackpot, but use every second one to jack up the size of the third, and pocket the first, same as in option 1.  Or, just write a check for everyone after a while and move to the Fiji Islands.
                  3. Sever the tiny thread that connects lotteries and jackpot amounts to reality.  Instead of just billboarding a phony amount and having real winners hold a phony-sized check, sell tickets, announce winners using hired actors with fabricated histories from imaginary places.  Two advantages here.  They can announce jackpots as large as they like, thereby pushing the envelop for whatever it takes to get the most ticket sales, and they never have to give any money away.

Ultimately, option 3 will probably win out, but each of the others might be steps along the path to get there.

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2006, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

ryanm

Since those draw sales are posted on the Texas Lotto Report I'm thinking those are the sales for Texas. If so then that's not so terrible at all.

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2006, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

to ryanm: Are those only texas sales? And they are from one draw to the next is that correct? Can anyone clarify for me please?

To dvdiva: You took the words out of my mouth, you nailed it. Yeah to someone dumb it might take them 5 years, and get in debt over a car. But i forgot you might have different eyes than me (uhm, uhm)...And again some people don't see the world the same way other do, and not everyone has the same pride...The sad reality is that is 5 years to pay for a car every 10 years. What can i say, they sell cigarrettes don't they?

"Powerball is "the bat from hell"...."                 

from movie "Jeepers Creepers 2"... 

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                        Member #26882
                        November 23, 2005
                        1404 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2006, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Sever the tiny thread that connects lotteries and jackpot amounts to reality.  Instead of just billboarding a phony amount and having real winners hold a phony-sized check, sell tickets, announce winners using hired actors with fabricated histories from imaginary places.  Two advantages here.  They can announce jackpots as large as they like, thereby pushing the envelop for whatever it takes to get the most ticket sales, and they never have to give any money away.

Don't  they do this Already?
                          Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                          Member #26882
                          November 23, 2005
                          1404 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2006, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

to ryanm: Are those only texas sales? And they are from one draw to the next is that correct? Can anyone clarify?

To dvdiva: You took the words out of my mouth, you nailed it. Yeah to someone dumb it might take them 5 years, and get in debt over a car. But i forgot you might have different eyes than me (uhm, uhm)...And again some people don't see the world the same way other do, and not everyone has the same pride...The sad reality is that is 5 years to pay for a car every 10 years. What can i say, they sell cigarrettes don't they?

Cars are always worth more when the dealer has it, but when you have it, it's not worth anything!

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2006, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

to ryanm: Are those only texas sales? And they are from one draw to the next is that correct? Can anyone clarify for me please?

Pumpi:

I drive a 1990 Toyota 4 Runner with a quarter-million miles on it.  Bought it for a thousand bucks 100,000 thousand miles ago and never owed a penny on it.  The only thing about it that took 5 years was the Isuzu Trooper I drove before it with a quarter million miles on it to wear out sufficiently to cause me to have to replace it.

You make a good point.  What it costs to live and how long it takes to acquire is in the eyes of the consumer.  I read somewhere recently there's an old woman in Florida who's been living in a septic tank the last couple of years.  Fairly solid, secure, maybe dry shelter if it isn't connected to a sewer line.  Likely didn't cost her 30 years to pay for it, and it's as good as a middling part of the human race enjoys living in now, or has ever lived in.

It don't take that big a jackpot to put a man into a good, solid concrete septic tank and a 1985 Plymouth Reliance.  All it requires is an adjustment on the aspirations end of things.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: June 19, 2006, 7:53 am - IP Logged

ryanm if that's a total sales from one draw to the next in Tx, then if you say that everyone played 5.00 then there will be 32 million players that play for that particular week. And the population of Tx is 20 million..I don't think every citizen of texas went and bought a ticket: )

"..More important than winning all the world's lotteries is the creation of a Lotto Stock Market..."