Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed lottery tickets

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How much time should someone have to turn in a lottery ticket?

1 to 6 months [ 11 ]  [18.64%]
Up to 1 year [ 27 ]  [45.76%]
2 to 5 years [ 6 ]  [10.17%]
There shouldn't be a time limit [ 13 ]  [22.03%]
I'm not sure [ 2 ]  [3.39%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
Member #12618
March 18, 2005
2060 Posts
Posted: June 22, 2006, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

We have read many articles here at LP where lottery tickets go unclaimed and I found an article where players in Austrailia have what appears to be an unlimited amount of time to claim their lottery winnings. This article says that officials are still looking for winners from 2001 (1 million) and 2004 (23.4 million). How much time do you think should someone be given to turn in a lottery ticket?

Dance like no one is watching.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: June 22, 2006, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

1 to 6 months should be plenty of time to turn in a winner. I would think most people couldn't wait to start spending it!!

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: June 22, 2006, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I voted no time limit.

It's funny you mentioned this because a couple of days ago in Florida, the 180 day limit was up on a ticket bought by someone worth 80 grand. They announced it on the news asking everyone to check their closets, wallets, couches and so on.

The person who bought the ticket probably loses his or her keys all the time.

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: June 22, 2006, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

A lottery ticket is a bearer instrument just like any other bearer instrument. Bearer instruments other than lottery do not have a time limit that I know of.
        So why should lottery instruments have time limits? Just a fabricated loop hole for lotteries to keep the money and to be put in the fund specified by lottery rules.
        Generally after six years or there about unclaimed funds are put in the state treasury until claimed by the owner or heirs of the owner.
        Check out your state website for unclaimed funds for any monies that may be due you. Hey you never know. A utility deposit, rent deposit, bank accounts you thought were closed, The list goes on and on.

I was reading the paper one day and seen a list of people that the bank was turning over to unclaimed and seen the name of someone I knew and was working with at the time. He never knew about it.

WHATT

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
          Member #12618
          March 18, 2005
          2060 Posts
          Posted: June 22, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I am leaning towards thinking that someone should have a few years to turn in their ticket to no time limit. It seems that if a ticket doesn't get turned in within a few years, the odds are it probably never will, but you never know. Someone could sift through some old documents are junk drawer and find a old winning ticket.

Dance like no one is watching.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: June 22, 2006, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Kind of odd that people buy lottery tickets and then don't bother to check them.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2006, 2:47 am - IP Logged

When winning Florida Lotto or MegaMoney, although the winner has 6 months to claim the money, he only has 60 days to choose the lump sum. It is 60 days from the drawing, not when he claims the prize. I think they should change that rule.  Even for someone who checks the numbers often, 2 months is little time to get your financial affairs in order.  Personally, I'd want to give proper notice where I live and work and keep my secret until I got legal counseling and moved on, but I would feel rushed.

Regarding all games, I think one year (not 180 days) is plenty of time but I still think the winner of millions of dollars should have up to 2 years, although I have no idea why anyone would wait and lose so much interest. There was once an article in our local paper about a man who waited until the last minute because he was hiding it from his soon to be ex-wife.  However, if he bought the ticket when they were married, he still needs to include the money in their settlement.  Anyway, I voted "1 year" because a full year is certainly enough time, even for the Florida snowbirds who buy tickets and only return in the winter. If I had the luxury of owning 2 homes and spending my summer in Vermont, I would simply check the winning numbers online and hop on a plane!  In all fairness, there shouldn't be a limit. If you win, you win.

BTW, I'm wondering if PAC was talking about the ticket in Delray Beach which is across the State. When my 91 year old Dad (who lives there) was rushed to the hospital with pneumonia, I thought about asking but felt funny about it, so I didn't. I can't imagine he ever buys lottery tickets. The ticket expired last week and he didn't so I guess that's a lot better!  Anyway, this is one reason people should have at least a year to claim a prize.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2006, 2:59 am - IP Logged

i think a year is fair.......

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49642 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2006, 7:35 am - IP Logged
                  A lottery ticket is a bearer instrument just like any other bearer instrument. Bearer instruments other than lottery do not have a time limit that I know of.
                  So why should lottery instruments have time limits? Just a fabricated loop hole for lotteries to keep the money and to be put in the fund specified by lottery rules.
                  Generally after six years or there about unclaimed funds are put in the state treasury until claimed by the owner or heirs of the owner.
                  Check out your state website for unclaimed funds for any monies that may be due you. Hey you never know. A utility deposit, rent deposit, bank accounts you thought were closed, The list goes on and on.

I was reading the paper one day and seen a list of people that the bank was turning over to unclaimed and seen the name of someone I knew and was working with at the time. He never knew about it.

I Agree! Their should be NO Time Limit on Claiming the Winnings!
                    BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                    Magnolia, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #18795
                    July 20, 2005
                    789 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2006, 10:07 am - IP Logged

One year is more than enough time! I don't know what's the matter with those here on LP that wants more time to turn in a jackpot winning ticket! I mean, I have seen many here gripe about the people who buy tickets and don't claim the jackpot!

So, you people who wish for more time (longer than a year) explain the reasoning behind your way of thinking for an unlimited amount of time to turn in a jackpot winning ticket! I wonder if there will be any well thought out, intelligent, common sense response for wanting such a thing!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2006, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Seems to me they're going to do whatever pleases them best.  But in a perfect world there'd be no time limit.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: June 24, 2006, 12:33 am - IP Logged

My vote is that all Jackpot games such as CA SLP, PB, and MM should make people claim all their winning tickets within 1 year, not 90 days in NM does in PB.

Hot Toddy's avatar - Trek REDALERT.gif
                          Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #4248
                          April 4, 2004
                          87 Posts
                          Posted: June 24, 2006, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Everyday I find winning lottery tickets in the trashcan.Humble yourself and check a trashcan at one of your lottery retailers and you will see for yourself.Those million dollar tickets are long gone in the trash.People do not check their tickets good,or they have so many they accidentaly throw them away,I see them everyday.

Todd Rucker

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: June 24, 2006, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Everyday I find winning lottery tickets in the trashcan.Humble yourself and check a trashcan at one of your lottery retailers and you will see for yourself.Those million dollar tickets are long gone in the trash.People do not check their tickets good,or they have so many they accidentaly throw them away,I see them everyday.

I'm so squeamish that I can't imagine sticking my hand into a trash can that isn't my own. However, I'm curious where you look for these cans. I see mostly dumpsters, not trash cans, outside of convenient stores and supermarkets. I know that a man in MA found a million $$$ winning ticket in the trash. I suppose you can always wear gloves, but rummaging through snotty tissues..I just don't know.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: June 24, 2006, 3:59 am - IP Logged

todd when you search through the trash can what has been the biggest amount off a thrown away ticket that you have found?