Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 11:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed lottery tickets

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How much time should someone have to turn in a lottery ticket?

1 to 6 months [ 11 ]  [18.64%]
Up to 1 year [ 27 ]  [45.76%]
2 to 5 years [ 6 ]  [10.17%]
There shouldn't be a time limit [ 13 ]  [22.03%]
I'm not sure [ 2 ]  [3.39%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2006, 4:03 am - IP Logged

however.......i'm sure if someone was told there might be a million dollar winner in the dirty diaper,snotty tissue,roach infested trash i'm pretty sure all of us would be knee deep and waist high in that dumpster looking.don't say you wouldn't.for if there was a good chance that a million dollar winner was there you would be pleasantly surprised to see a higher class of people in it right along with the have nots......

United States
    Member #10720
    January 23, 2005
    933 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2006, 8:38 am - IP Logged

There was an article not showing on here yet about a $2 scratch-off in Indiana that won a $5 prize. The winner missed the deadline because the game ended without their knowledge. They sued. The cost to the Hoosier Lottery is hundreds of thousands and the $5 winner is now ending up with $15K!

As long as money is available to pay the prize, there should be at least 5 years or more. For that matter I think stores should post some kind of list showing that winning tickets were sold there and still unclaimed.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2006, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Everyday I find winning lottery tickets in the trashcan.Humble yourself and check a trashcan at one of your lottery retailers and you will see for yourself.Those million dollar tickets are long gone in the trash.People do not check their tickets good,or they have so many they accidentaly throw them away,I see them everyday.

I'm so squeamish that I can't imagine sticking my hand into a trash can that isn't my own. However, I'm curious where you look for these cans. I see mostly dumpsters, not trash cans, outside of convenient stores and supermarkets. I know that a man in MA found a million $$$ winning ticket in the trash. I suppose you can always wear gloves, but rummaging through snotty tissues..I just don't know.

I can't see myself doing that either. I have a thing with germs. However, if I found myself accidently a winning ticket worth quite a bit of money, you can bet I would dig through the trash to find it. LOL

Dance like no one is watching.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2006, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Everyday I find winning lottery tickets in the trashcan.Humble yourself and check a trashcan at one of your lottery retailers and you will see for yourself.Those million dollar tickets are long gone in the trash.People do not check their tickets good,or they have so many they accidentaly throw them away,I see them everyday.

I'm so squeamish that I can't imagine sticking my hand into a trash can that isn't my own. However, I'm curious where you look for these cans. I see mostly dumpsters, not trash cans, outside of convenient stores and supermarkets. I know that a man in MA found a million $$$ winning ticket in the trash. I suppose you can always wear gloves, but rummaging through snotty tissues..I just don't know.

I can't see myself doing that either. I have a thing with germs. However, if I found myself accidently a winning ticket worth quite a bit of money, you can bet I would dig through the trash to find it. LOL

Really? I think you might have a Convert here!  Maybe I could handle a gag or two if it meant winning a few thousand..or more!!  Everyday I spend about 9 hours listening to people talking about dirt. (I work for a cleaning company.) On a positive day I suppose you could say I listen to people talking about clean. (the half-empty/half-full philsophy)  Razz

Last week I attended a classroom on dust mites and how millions of them are crawling in our beds.  Hey, they've got to eat too!!  Believe me, this is 1,000 times better than when I worked for a pest control company.  I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I've got roaches, but mites have become part of my extended family. It just wouldn't feel right killing creatures I've slept with for all these years.

So I guess the saying is true. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."  (who said that?)

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8795 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2006, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

All those maggots in the trash have got to eat too. They are what keeps our enviroment clean and the germ count down.
          I'd rummage thru trash anyday.

I stop at fast food dumpsters when breakfast hour is over and pick up breakfast. Green laugh

We have quarterly dumpster diving contest in S.C.
          The spoils go to the winners. ROFL

Type

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2006, 8:02 am - IP Logged

was that you at the dumpster behind dennys rummaging through bright and early.it made me jealous knowing you had first dibs at the wonderful cuisine just waiting to be ate.a hearty breakfast was had by all......

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2006, 11:43 am - IP Logged

I know we're all joking around here, but there are many unfortunate people who depend on the leftovers of others.  Then there's the dumpster doggies & kitties.

Regarding a lottery ticket. diving into a dumpster is much different from rummaging through a trash can or two, although both of them would make me gag up my lunch. I have trouble using a public bathroom if it's stinky!

Puke

chicago
                United States
                Member #41166
                June 12, 2006
                4 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2006, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

The legal limit to uncollected debts,  claims,  bancrupsies,  etc.  is 7 years.  It s only fair the state waits that long since the money would go somewhere else anyways.....and they can collect interest in teh meantime.

Hot Toddy's avatar - Trek REDALERT.gif
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #4248
                  April 4, 2004
                  87 Posts
                  Posted: June 26, 2006, 5:29 am - IP Logged

I think yous guys are missing the point.First of all I do wear a glove I mean .......comon .Second I didnt say dumpster but trashcan.Look at the one inside the store where everyone scratches their tickets off I mean there is just a pile of tickets.Third if you want free money youve got to humble yourself.Fourth thats where all the unclaimed tickets accidentally go.I find 15-30 $$$ weekly.The most I found was a pick 4 for $100.Good Luck.

Todd Rucker

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: June 26, 2006, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I think yous guys are missing the point.First of all I do wear a glove I mean .......comon .Second I didnt say dumpster but trashcan.Look at the one inside the store where everyone scratches their tickets off I mean there is just a pile of tickets.Third if you want free money youve got to humble yourself.Fourth thats where all the unclaimed tickets accidentally go.I find 15-30 $$$ weekly.The most I found was a pick 4 for $100.Good Luck.

Todd, we were just having fun!  I don't think you idea is bad at all.  I'm not sure where I'd begin to look. I haven't seen any trash cans behind stores, just dumpsters.  How do you get the clerk or the manager to let you open up the trash can in the store? I assume you are talking about a receptacle with a swinging door that one sees in a store.  Doesn't anyone stop you and ask what you're doing?

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2006, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Todd I'm not judging you. If you can handle being in garbage to find thrown away winning tickets, more power to you! =)

Dance like no one is watching.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31526 Posts
                        Posted: June 26, 2006, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

1 year

love to nibble those micey feet.

Australia
                          Member #17096
                          June 11, 2005
                          225 Posts
                          Posted: July 10, 2006, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Unclaimed Prizes

We're still waiting for some winners to claim their prizes. Here's a list of the largest prizes that remain unclaimed. These need to be claimed within 180 days of the draw date, after which time the money will go to the Good Causes. If you think you're a winner, find out how to claim.

Below are the largest unclaimed prizes. To check to see if you're a winner, use our Results Checker.

Largest prizes to be unclaimed

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/information.do?info=unclaimedprizes

Australia
                            Member #17096
                            June 11, 2005
                            225 Posts
                            Posted: July 10, 2006, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

There is now a time limit for claiming prizes, and claims for prizes must be lodged by 30 November 2016.

NSW Lotteries recommends that players protect their winnings by using the Players Club registration system, which ensures that registered ticket holders will be automatically paid any unclaimed prize under $1,000 and notified of bigger wins.

For more information about joining Players Club, click here .

Don't forget even Players Club members still need to present their ticket to claim prizes over $20,000 after they been notified of a win.

It is even more important for unregistered players to keep their tickets safe - a valid ticket is required to claim any prize and NSW Lotteries has no obligation under the game rules to pay a prize if no ticket is presented.

A claim that an unregistered winning ticket is lost or stolen may be investigated but the onus is entirely on the claimant to prove their case and there are serious penalties for making false claims.

For more information about claiming prizes, click here to get a copy of the brochure "A player's guide to claiming prizes" in PDF format.

If you believe that you might have a winning ticket, check the results online by clicking here.

Lotto results are available from 1979, 6 from 38 Pools from 1991, OZ Lotto from 1994, $2 and $5 Jackpot Lotteries from 1995, Lotto Strike from 1995, Powerball from 1996, and Saturday Lotto from 2000.

Results for all games going back to 1931 are available on request from NSW Lotteries by contacting our Customer Inquiry Line on 1300 363 444 (Australia only).

You can also check our news releases to see if we’re looking for a winner in your area. Click here for the latest news.

The vast majority of unclaimed prizemoney relates to wins of less than $50, but there are some massive prizes waiting for the winner to come forward. Some of the major prizes still unclaimed are:

http://www.nswlotteries.com.au/unclaimedprizes/index.html

Australia
                              Member #17096
                              June 11, 2005
                              225 Posts
                              Posted: July 10, 2006, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

8.      Is there a time period in which to claim prizes? 

With LOTTO and SportStake, players have up to 365 days from the day of the draw to claim. 

Scratch Card winners have one year from the date that ticket sales are announced to claim prizes.  Wina Manje Scratch Card games close with immediate effect once every ticket in a specific game is out in the market. The closing of a game is announced in the media. 

After expiry, 50% of the unclaimed prize money is deposited into the National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund (NLDTF) for distribution to Good Causes.

http://www.nationallottery.co.za/lotto/faq.aspx