Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Was I discriminated against for playing lotto?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
NC
United States
Member #41968
June 25, 2006
16 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I live in NC. My state just got the lottery so yesterday was my 1st time playing. I got a scratch-off ticket at a Texaco gas station. When I went to redeem my winnings (only $5) the clerk told me I had to wait in the back of the line while she waited on the people buying gas. Is this basic protocol where you live or was I discriminated against for being a lotto player?

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
    Atlantic Mine, Michigan
    United States
    Member #416
    June 23, 2002
    1614 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

The cashier was probably just lazy and didn't feel like doing their job.  I would of told them no...I am in line next, you help me next. 

Brad

kayee's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
      missouri
      United States
      Member #34763
      March 7, 2006
      756 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

That's not how it is where I live. It only takes a few seconds to scan a ticket and pay it out, I think you just ran into a rude clerk and if it was me I'd report that clerk to the manager.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I live in NC. My state just got the lottery so yesterday was my 1st time playing. I got a scratch-off ticket at a Texaco gas station. When I went to redeem my winnings (only $5) the clerk told me I had to wait in the back of the line while she waited on the people buying gas. Is this basic protocol where you live or was I discriminated against for being a lotto player?

you were not discriminated.

the gas station is in buisness to sell gas. they act as an agent for the lottery. their primary responsibility is to take care of the cuctomers whom are getting gas or other purchases. Your situation in not unique. I know it dosen't seem fair that you should have to wait. but sometimes that's just they way it is.

Ive seen people scratching tickets and trying to push in front of people to cash or get more tickets to scratch at gas stations. Burns me up like they have to get the money real fast so it dosent burn a hole in their pocket. If the line is long i don't even bother with lottery purchases of any kind out of respect for the other people behind me that just want gas and cigs.

We have places that sell tickets here almost every where you look. no need to wait to get or cash tickets just go to another place.  

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Your clerk was inexperienced and figured it would take him or her time to figure out your payout.

Saves everyone the embarassment.

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

once you make a purchase and step aside after purchase you loose your place in line.
            Start from the back again.

I have seen people buy scratchers and move to one side and scratch at the counter. They have a win they think they can buck the line.

I dont think so.

WHATT

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

There's a learning curve for the clerks. The NC lotto is new, and he/she probably wasn't real familiar yet with how to redeem tickets. It probably would have held up the line.  I wouldn't take it personal . The clerk is probably going to play the lotto also. If this same thing would happen six months from now, that would be a different story.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1303
                March 27, 2003
                1508 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2006, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

once you make a purchase and step aside after purchase you loose your place in line.
                Start from the back again.

I have seen people buy scratchers and move to one side and scratch at the counter. They have a win they think they can buck the line.

I dont think so.

Now that's very true. Toot didn't say is he/she was tryingn to skip in line (definitely shouldn't be allowed) or if he/she was in line, got to the counter, and was told to go to the back of the line. I assumed (my bad) it was the latter.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: June 27, 2006, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

No scratchie on the counter !!

sweetie7398's avatar - flower2
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #22702
                    September 30, 2005
                    3033 Posts
                    Posted: June 27, 2006, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

If you are line, whether it's gas, lottery, etc you should be served next.  Remember you are a customer also.

sweetie7398's avatar - flower2
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #22702
                      September 30, 2005
                      3033 Posts
                      Posted: June 27, 2006, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

If you are  in line, whether it's gas, lottery, etc you should be served next.  Remember you are a customer also.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19817 Posts
                        Posted: June 27, 2006, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Once you bought your scratch-off tickets, your transaction was completed and the clerk was right  to move on to the next customer in line.  If you stepped aside to check your tickets then redeeming one of them was a new transaction which required you to go to the back of the line again even if the other customers in line were only buying lottery tickets too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                          Charlotte NC
                          United States
                          Member #17406
                          June 18, 2005
                          4053 Posts
                          Posted: June 27, 2006, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodThere should be two lines, one for other purchases and one for the lotto when the lines get long.

takeemtothebank

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3047 Posts
                            Posted: June 27, 2006, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Were I live in Oregon there are plenty of retailers for the Oregon lottery in driving distance.  If the store refused my service I would find another retailer that would take the time to cash my winning ticket and then reward that store by being a repeat customer.  I would also not go back to the store that told you to go to the back because it is clear that they do not want your business.  If you have that little sign that says retailer for your state then cash my ticket or I will not come back and tell every one I know how you treated me.  You represent the Lottery do your job or do not sell lottery.-weshar75

kdsjeter's avatar - lion
                              Crofton, MD
                              United States
                              Member #15377
                              May 14, 2005
                              29 Posts
                              Posted: June 27, 2006, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Try 7-Eleven,

They ignore the lottery customers in favor of the people buying slurppies and the like.  What really burns me up about them is they take the money, and they usually cannot payoff anything more than $50.

Angry