Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Was I discriminated against for playing lotto?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
savannah, ga
United States
Member #37345
April 13, 2006
342 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2006, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I have been treated unfairly with lottery purchases in the past so that is why I prefer to go to stores with experienced cashiers and those that promote lottery purchases. You can tell them because they usually display winning tickets at the counter or have two lottery machines and even offer to sell you quickpicks with your change. Most of the time these are "ethnic stores".  These cashiers even assist you when you make an error with your tickets. They will often ask 'evening or midday', etc. I appreciate the help and get a good feeling from them which I think gives me confidence to win.  These stores WANT to see you win. It is a shame that a lot of the chain stores mistreat lottery players. When it comes to business I always spend my money where I am treated with respect, you should too. Oh, I remember a guy that works at a store I go to frequently told me that he has a customer who won 15,000 on quads last year and gave him 1,000 just for being nice. See what I mean.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
    Pittsburg, Ks
    United States
    Member #3382
    January 17, 2004
    80621 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2006, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodThere should be two lines, one for other purchases and one for the lotto when the lines get long.

When the convient store I go to gets a line to long there is another person to help.

If people are a head of me buying whatever I wait in line and when I get to the counter the cashier prints  up my tickets (P3 20 numbers) while the other clerk is waiting on the other customers

thinreality's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
      NC
      United States
      Member #41356
      June 15, 2006
      27 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2006, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I'm in NC and generally, each time I've gone into a gas station there have been two separate lines--one for lottery and scratch off ticket sales and one for general purchases, such as chips, snacks, gasoline, etc.  I don't know how it is during late night hours, but in most cases during the day there are at least two cashiers behind the counter, especially on Wednesdays and Saturdays, when they know they'll be selling more tickets.

It's true that there's a learning curve for some of the cashiers who are running the registers.  I've gone in asking for 10 picks on one ticket and been told that it wasn't possible (it is).  I've also asked for 10 QP's for the next night's drawing and was told I'd have to fill out game slips with the QP boxes filled in before they could print up any tickets (not true).  I don't return to those stores, because it's too much hassle for me to explain to the clerk that these things can be done, especially when there are five people behind me waiting to buy their lucky numbers.

It's called 'playing' numbers because it's FUN!

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2006, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I try to buy my tickets at stores that have two cashiers if at all possibe, and If there is someone with what appears to be a quick purchase coming up to check out,  I will let them go before me . I try to be considerate, and the cashiers at my favorite store all know me and appreciate it.

Funny, though... We worry about holding up a line buying/ redeeming our tickets and in reality we are not that bad... I continue to see people purchasing money orders( sometimes MULTIPLE money orders) and this takes MUCH more time that lottery tickets  .

The people buying the money orders tie up the line for several minutes and I've yet to see any of them apologize or even act like they care... 

If we all would practice patience and understanding it would be cool, but then what would we have to talk about ?

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8359 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

here's the big problem with the whole thing people get lottery machines to increase their business, not the lottery's business. They know they will have days when they either cant manage the lottery terminal or have to place an unfamiliar person on the terminal.
          the lottery has no interest in the machines they do not place people behind them. So in essence they are getting a terminal operator for free.
          people have some misconception that places that sell lottery tickets are making money off of the lottery. You have to sell a hundred thousand dollars worth of tickets a week to make a small amount of money.

people who have lottery machines find out real fast what a pain it can be dealing with the lottery personal the terminal operators and the customers. Based on that, they make various decisions on how they will manage the machines versus the customers. Some place may treat each individual as a welcomed guest to their place of business while others may see it as a hindrance especially when a persons is at the front of the line with 50 numbers to play and there are 20 people behind them trying to get gas, food, or whatever.

Now while i wouldn't ever get more than 2 q picks at a gas station along with my gas purchase i have seen lots of idiots with a long play list tie up a line at a gas station for more than 20 minutes. Cars strewn all over the lot nobody can get gas, cars starting to pile up on the roadway situations like this. Line at the window getting longer tempers flaring up. it's a wonder someone hasn't grabbed the ticket buyer and tossed them to the curb. get my drift. why on earth would someone who most likely isn't even getting gas tie up the line so they can get lottery tickets. But they do it i suspect because they are hoping someone tries to start something just so they can sue someone.

Some people have no idea what situations have taken place where lottery tickets are being sold to cause the owners to initiate rules of engagement so to speak. Want to get an asswooping go into a bar that sells tickets at happy hour with about 50 people or more at the bar one person running the machine and taking care of the bar. hand him or her a long list, guess what.! Who do you think is going to get served you or the bar patrons. While you might get waited on the bar comes first. You will get waited on as they see fit to handle your request. If you cant handle it you need to find a place that less crowded or be patent.

Rule of thumb don't go where you know it's going to be a hassle to get tickets, do use common sense. If you have a list make sure it's readable. have cards make sure they are filled out right. If you do get into a situation find a place that more cooperative.

I for one find it most disturbing to have a bad experience with lottery retailers and try not to return to places that have gave me bad service.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5113 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2006, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I live in NC. My state just got the lottery so yesterday was my 1st time playing. I got a scratch-off ticket at a Texaco gas station. When I went to redeem my winnings (only $5) the clerk told me I had to wait in the back of the line while she waited on the people buying gas. Is this basic protocol where you live or was I discriminated against for being a lotto player?

Toottttttttttttttttt...............THANK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$::::::::::::::::

GREAT<<<<GREAT<<<<<<SUPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POST!!!!!!!!!!

When I buy my QUICKPICK........

why does the clerk always tell me.........I LOSE when I present ticket?

HAVE>>>>>>>>>FUN>>>>>>>>>>TOOT>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$

PLAY-it-AGAIN-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO