Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 8:41 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions hit again!

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2006, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Raven62 and Prob988! Interesting. You'd think New Jersey and New York would have many winners also. It may just have to do with luck, that Ohio has so many more winners

There have been plenty of MM winners in New Jersey.

I wouldn't mind being one myself. 

Atlanta
    United States
    Member #33572
    February 22, 2006
    366 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2006, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Ay time the drawn numbers are low, the chances of someone winning goes up, because a lot of people choose low numbers.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2006, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

I swear, if Powerball gets hit again tonight as well...

Well if it gets hit tonight, I hope it is by me! Big Smile

I'm playing too, so I hope I hit it too. When I say "I swear, if Powerball gets hit again tonight...," the automatic exception, whether I state it or not, is if I hit the Powerball jackpot.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2006, 12:05 am - IP Logged

I vote they just call it 12 million instead of megamillions for clarity.

The funny thing is sales won't cover this starting pot for long. I'm wondering how long it takes before something changes. I'm sure that state lotteries must discuss these things. I also can't imagine state lotteries being fond of loosing money.

Only two changes are possible at this point. It's either the first lottery brave enough to charge $2/ticket like in Canada or change the matrix yet again. They could even cut one white ball and one Megaball out so the odds get reduced to 1:156 million to make the price change easier to take.

Looking at the Mega playslip and it's already pretty tight.  They would have to add a white ball for an effective change. That would take it to 1:192 million. Adding a Mega ball only would raise it to 1:179 million and wouldn't fix anything.

So that leaves four choices.

1. Do nothing and it's a hard to win game with low jackpots often below state lottery jackpots.

2. Change the matrix to make the game harder to win.

3. Change the price and keep the game the same.

4. Change the price and change the odds a little to make it easier to win. 

My personal vote is with 4 and they should at least cut one Megaball. 

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
          Washington State
          United States
          Member #33973
          February 26, 2006
          347 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2006, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Well, looks as though I will be saving money a while longer.  Since I don't play MM until it reaches at least $50 million, I haven't played in a while.  My state lottery hasn't been high enough to tempt me to play, and I see it got hit again last drawing, so it is back to $1 million.  I did play the state Quinto for a few games until it got hit a few weeks ago, and it is too low for my taste right now and it will be weeks before I'd find it tempting, too.  There is just nothing in the lottery that I can get excited about right now. 

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #21206
            September 4, 2005
            949 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2006, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

The funny thing is sales won't cover this starting pot for long. I'm wondering how long it takes before something changes. I'm sure that state lotteries must discuss these things. I also can't imagine state lotteries being fond of loosing money.

Only two changes are possible at this point. It's either the first lottery brave enough to charge $2/ticket like in Canada or change the matrix yet again. They could even cut one white ball and one Megaball out so the odds get reduced to 1:156 million to make the price change easier to take.

Looking at the Mega playslip and it's already pretty tight.  They would have to add a white ball for an effective change. That would take it to 1:192 million. Adding a Mega ball only would raise it to 1:179 million and wouldn't fix anything.

1. Do nothing and it's a hard to win game with low jackpots often below state lottery jackpots.

Mostly this is just luck of the draw.

Megamillions has produced two jackpots of over $200M annuity this year, the last in April.

One could triple the odds against winning and still have every jackpot won.  It's luck.

I used to play lotteries on every draw.  Now I only play them when the jackpot is large, and I use the expectation value.    I'm not sure that longer odds is really the answer.  I suspect that if they made the odds against winning the lottery infinite, no one would play. 

ladygirl99's avatar - candle
              Solon, OH
              United States
              Member #3267
              January 7, 2004
              481 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2006, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I hope Im the next one to hit in ohio lol, I will take 2 million lol whatever. I want to take care of my family, Me and my husband are working on that :)

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2006, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Mostly this is just luck of the draw.

Megamillions has produced two jackpots of over $200M annuity this year, the last in April.

One could triple the odds against winning and still have every jackpot won.  It's luck.

I used to play lotteries on every draw.  Now I only play them when the jackpot is large, and I use the expectation value.    I'm not sure that longer odds is really the answer.  I suspect that if they made the odds against winning the lottery infinite, no one would play. 

I agree that Mega Millions shouldn't do anything. This is just a run of luck that could, and will, go the other way. The odds are 1, not 0, in 175,711,536. Players play to win, not to raise the jackpot.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2006, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Ouch for Mega Millions. It rolled only to $14 million annuity ($7.8 million cash; only a $1.1 million jump cashwise), which is its smallest roll yet since it went to 5/56 + 1/46. I guess this means Mega hasn't upped its minimum rollover amount when it changed the matrix. Mega's minimum rollover should be at least $3 million. Powerball's current minimum roll is $5 million (approximately $2.2 million cash judging by its current cash to annuity ratio), and its annuity roll from a reset jackpot has never been over the minimum.

We are also seeing Mega go through the same phase Powerball went through in winter 2005, when it got a lucky string of eight jackpot winners when the jackpots had not even hit $50 million. I remember after that last winner, PB sales were so pathetic, it took the game twelve rolls just to make it over $100 million, while Mega's jackpots were already above $140 million on its twelth rolls.

United States
                    Member #16612
                    June 2, 2005
                    3493 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2006, 2:26 am - IP Logged

It looks like MM set a new roll 1 low in terms of the current matrix ryanm.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2006, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Everyone, MM Jackpot is hit again. This time it's in Maryland at 49 million. This is the fourth straight MM jackpot winner under 50 million and fifth straight MM jackpot winner under 100 million. I think it won't reach 400 million for 2006. I think it needs many rolls in a row to get there because sales are starting to drop.

Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #35590
                        March 20, 2006
                        185 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2006, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmm.....this is getting annoying.....maybe I should turn my attention to forcing regulars winners in Powerball....maybe I might have some better fortune in having the numbers fall in my pool of numbers...instead of someone else. Upped my wager last night from $20 to $55....I did ok.....one 4 of 5 and six 3 of 5...made a profit, but not the kind of profit I want to see...if you get my drift. The problem with playing Powerball is I know too many people in DC....no way to be anonymous there....that is why  I have to stick with MM.

Well back down to $20 this Friday.....I hope I can have the patience to wait for it to cross $50mill before I up my wager again.

Arrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh..................ok that release of close call frustration felt good.

Oh well at least a Marylander took it home........maybe we can do two Marylander back to back.Hurray!

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2006, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

lol I remember in winter of 2005, when Powerball was getting hit every other week, some LP members in Powerball states said they wished they lived closer to a Mega Millions state. Now the reverse is happening.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2006, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Well Powerball fixed their problem with a matrix change. Hopefully Mega can do the same and soon. Currently states seem to focus on the stick with outlawing online gambling but not focusing on the carrot with half decent games to bet on in the first place.

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: July 20, 2006, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Powerball just got lucky; that game can still have a lucky string of winners too; it just isn't right now.