Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions hit again!

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Maryland
United States
Member #35590
March 20, 2006
185 Posts
Posted: July 20, 2006, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Well Powerball fixed their problem with a matrix change. Hopefully Mega can do the same and soon. Currently states seem to focus on the stick with outlawing online gambling but not focusing on the carrot with half decent games to bet on in the first place.

The matrix of MM is still more difficult than Powerball....so how come MM is being hit so frequently?.......the answer is simple.......There are SMARTER players playing MM at this particular point in time. I will gurantee that if I had the time to go and find PB tickets to play 55 numbers .....there won't be a roll over on Saturday. There is a systimatic pattern that if played with enough numbers, forces the lotto game to then randomly select the number that will pay out the least. I know you don't believe that theory....but you have seen the proof so far.......and I also gurantee you that MM will never see $100mill again until either I win....or they start doing some real weird fishy number selections.....like PB has done recently a couple of times. I have the formula down....the formula has as one if it's basis the assumption that MM computer dances around combinations played until it finds a combination that has not been played or that pays out the least.....the singular flaw in my scheme is that I cannot control which combination to force the computer to jump to......that would be the holy grail, wouldn't it......and right now I am just not that smart....as yet!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: July 20, 2006, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Being smart has nothing to do with it. Powerball had added a much larger population base to it's players yet didn't change the odds. They had a long string of low jackpots then corrected the problem by changing the odds. Megamillions added the largest state and miscalculated the needed odds.

It also doesn't help that several of the Mega states continue to grow in population. I don't think they will fix it soon however due to the way Mega handles it's business. I'd say maybe they will do something around November, December which means the states will just have to put up with continued lower sales vs. what they could be getting with a better game structure.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: July 20, 2006, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

Well Powerball fixed their problem with a matrix change. Hopefully Mega can do the same and soon. Currently states seem to focus on the stick with outlawing online gambling but not focusing on the carrot with half decent games to bet on in the first place.

The matrix of MM is still more difficult than Powerball....so how come MM is being hit so frequently?.......the answer is simple.......There are SMARTER players playing MM at this particular point in time. I will gurantee that if I had the time to go and find PB tickets to play 55 numbers .....there won't be a roll over on Saturday. There is a systimatic pattern that if played with enough numbers, forces the lotto game to then randomly select the number that will pay out the least. I know you don't believe that theory....but you have seen the proof so far.......and I also gurantee you that MM will never see $100mill again until either I win....or they start doing some real weird fishy number selections.....like PB has done recently a couple of times. I have the formula down....the formula has as one if it's basis the assumption that MM computer dances around combinations played until it finds a combination that has not been played or that pays out the least.....the singular flaw in my scheme is that I cannot control which combination to force the computer to jump to......that would be the holy grail, wouldn't it......and right now I am just not that smart....as yet!

Shane,
      You may have just hit the nail on the head.  Just look at history, MegaMillions states like Ohio, Michigan, California, New York and Maryland have produced some of the smartest and most inventive people in the country.  I wasn't born in Ohio but I've lived all but five years of my life here and I'm just hoping I've gained enough smarts to be a future winner using my system.  My prediction statistics don't show it, but I think I'm getting closer.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: July 20, 2006, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I agree dvdiva. MM players aren't any "smarter" then Powerball players. That's just silly.

Dance like no one is watching.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: July 20, 2006, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Maybe Shane should have said "MegaMillions winners aren't any smarter than PowerBall winners, it just that MegaMillions states have more of them."

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bobby623's avatar - abstract
            San Angelo, Texas
            United States
            Member #1097
            January 31, 2003
            1394 Posts
            Posted: July 20, 2006, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Seems the ball is in the player's court, but probably not for long.

The house always wins, so, it won't be long before players will be moaning and groaning about not winning. and the states will be laughing all the way to the bank, as they always do.

The MM lottery uses a mechanical drawing machine. I doubt they can routinely arrange an advantage for themselves by getting the balls to fall in ways that would produce combinations not sold for a particular drawing. If they could, I doubt there would be many winners from any state.

$100 million jackpots certainly sucker in more players than smaller ones, but millions of folks still keep playing for the smaller ones, or for the two big non-jackpot prizes.

United States
              Member #34266
              March 1, 2006
              188 Posts
              Posted: July 20, 2006, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

The recent Maryland winner was a quick pick.  It doesn't take much smarts to say one quick pick please.  As far as the MM computer picking numbers that will guarantee a win or a loss, your are implying that the mm drawings are fixed.  NY and NJ get second place winners all the time. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8364 Posts
                Posted: July 20, 2006, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

the game might be set up to generate large pots but when a quick pick wins it has nothing to do with the matrix. It just happened someone bought a ticket that had the numbers that were drawn. this is not a big deal. in fact i would be ever grateful if my Q pick won regardless of the amount.

People have some notion that the pot must get to 200 mil before it's hit. Well as we've seen this is not the case. In fact people could win at any time during the rollovers. regardless of how the quick pick generator functions or spits out tickets. The computer doesn't know which numbers will be drawn. When they draw the numbers it's a random possibility that someone might win.

If you think you have a better chance to win when the pots are high!!! think again. if anything you might have a lesser chance because more people are trying to win also.

if you have any hope of winning it's probably best to buy at least one ticket for every draw no matter what size the pot is. because it could be your turn to win you just never no. and by not buying a ticket no matter what you are not in it. How ridiculous would you feel if your special numbers came out and you didn't play because you though the pots not big enough.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2006, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Seems the ball is in the player's court, but probably not for long.

The house always wins, so, it won't be long before players will be moaning and groaning about not winning. and the states will be laughing all the way to the bank, as they always do.

The MM lottery uses a mechanical drawing machine. I doubt they can routinely arrange an advantage for themselves by getting the balls to fall in ways that would produce combinations not sold for a particular drawing. If they could, I doubt there would be many winners from any state.

$100 million jackpots certainly sucker in more players than smaller ones, but millions of folks still keep playing for the smaller ones, or for the two big non-jackpot prizes.

I agree, this lucky string of winners won't last.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2006, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I also don't understand how a string of low jackpot wins decreases sales of opening jackpots. If anything, it should increase sales at the opening levels, because one would think that one at least had a chance of winning.

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #21206
                      September 4, 2005
                      949 Posts
                      Posted: July 21, 2006, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Here are the number of drawings per jackpot since the matrix change, starting with the most recent:  6, 3, 4, 5, 7, 14, 14, 15, 4, 9, 17, 16.

The average number of draws is 9.5.  A ninth jackpot produces a jackpot of around $100M, a tenth, 120M.

It has produced jackpots as high as $315M.  There have been nine drawings with jackpots over $200M.

(All figures are annuity figures, in which people commonly think.) 

My models show that there is only a 50% chance of a jackpot reaching 7 draws, for which the model predicts a jackpot of $83M.

It's just luck.  I note that no one would play the lottery, and thus the jackpot would not grow, if people didn't feel they could win the lower prizes.    When the lower prizes are won, regular players are being rewarded.

Every time there's a string of small jackpots, people go crazy.  The fact is, the jackpot will most likely get very large again.  It is possible for it never to get large again, but it is also highly improbable.  The odds are about 50% that there will be a $400 million jackpot in the next three years.

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2006, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Once again, MM hit again. This time in NY for 31 million. This is the fifth straight winner under 50 million, 6th straight winner under 100 million, and 7th winner this year under 100 million on top of two winners over 200 million. To add insult to injury, it was double 14 as winning numbers. The winning combination was 14-29-32-43-49 MB 14.