Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

convicted felons and lottery winnings

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

should a convicted felon be allowed to cash in lottery winning?

yes [ 49 ]  [64.47%]
no [ 22 ]  [28.95%]
not sure [ 5 ]  [6.58%]
Total Valid Votes [ 76 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
FEMA Region V Camp #21
United States
Member #520
July 27, 2002
5699 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2006, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Their buck is as good as mine. Society will take care of the felony aspect. Lottery proceeds do not enter the equation.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1272 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2006, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

They should receive it only to get the whole amount confiscated and given to their victims.

That's better than just deny them the winnings. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2006, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

MillionsWanted

That's not a bad idea at all. I think there have been actual cases where welfare recipients who have won a lottery  had to pay back what they had received in welfare up to that point.

That being the case..... 

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #3023
        December 14, 2003
        4166 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2006, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Why not, they are people willing to take the chance. Just like most of us.
        Their dollar is as good as ours!

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2006, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

It should depend on 1. if they have served their time and paid their debt to society then they should be allowed after that. and 2. what the nature of the felony was. Did they download an mp3 for their grandkid and get caught or did they murder 10 people during an armed robbery?

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2006, 3:05 am - IP Logged

I would be really outraged if convicted people couldn't play the lottery? if you can play, then you can win. Not allowing these people to play or win is called: discrimination...If they didn't let this people play or collect their winning then they will be treating this people like i don't know what..I feel that a lot worse is allowing cigarettes to exist, since they would be "skinned alive" by keno or Powerball anyways...

"...More important than winning all the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet"......"

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #22395
              September 24, 2005
              1583 Posts
              Posted: July 3, 2006, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Prisoner wins lottery

If image does not display, it may have been removed.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: July 3, 2006, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

People may disagree with me but I beleive if you have served your time and you are free you should be able to collect lottery winnings. Why not? If they are still allowed to put a dollar in then they should be able to collect if they win. If people don't want convicted felons to play make it a law that they can't legally purchase tickets and collect winnings.

I Agree!

I didn't respond at first because I wasn't sure if the question refers to people currently in prison or those who have been released. Since we can't put everyone who has committed a crime on house arrest, any person can walk into a store and buy a lottery ticket.  However, as long as prisons are funded by taxes and until criminals begin paying for their own room and board, I don't think they should be allowed to purchase tickets while incarcerated. Of course, I don't think someone who has committed a crime against society should have a lot of things like cable tv or use of the internet. As far as what I feel should happen when they're released..well, it's a tough call, since there are so many classes of crime. Regarding the most violent criminals, if it were not for that small percentage of wrongly convicted inmates (since destroying just one innocent life would be a tragedy) I'd say to exterminate most of these parasites before they get out and kill or rape someone else's child, mother, father or best friend.

United States
                  Member #36065
                  March 27, 2006
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: July 3, 2006, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

most convicted felons cant find good paying work anyway , so if lady luck shines down upon them with millions of dollars in lottery winnings, they should be able to collect.  maybe with their newfound winnings they can decide to turn over a new leaf and etc etc.  who knows.

SirMetro's avatar - center
                    East of Atlanta
                    United States
                    Member #6191
                    August 11, 2004
                    1389 Posts
                    Posted: July 3, 2006, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

Yes, absolutely they should be allowed to collect. 

They should receive a net amount after all state cost to incarcerate plus all other fines, restitution charges related to crimes they've committed.

If there's anything left over then let them have at it.

A few states actually enforce this concept. Too bad GA is not one of them. About a year or so ago, a criminal was captured while breaking into a store one nite. The sad part was, this same idiot had won the $1000 a week for life just a month earlier. The State's response when questioned was, "The monies will be paid to an account until such time the prisoner is released". No restitution, no fines, no reimbursement to the state for cost of incarceration.

By the way, if I am not mistakened, Federal Prison works just a bit differently. I think under the rules of the Federal Prison, any income generated while incarcerated is confiscated in whole by the Federal Government. I believe the rule was strengthened because of a huge rash of movie and book deals that occurred at one time when one criminal's book hit the best seller list. I also think this only applies to lifer's. 

Who says crime doesn't pay, the honest man?

SirMetro's avatar - center
                      East of Atlanta
                      United States
                      Member #6191
                      August 11, 2004
                      1389 Posts
                      Posted: July 3, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

"so many classes of crime"

Perhaps I am wrong, but in the bible, is it not written that "If you break one commandment, you have broken them all"?

Why must we, as a society accept the concept of varying levels of crime? Sorry, but if an embezzeler or an online theif takes money from the Company I work for, I want that person charged with attempted murder of me, my coworkers and all the associated families. Because as far as I am concerned, that person stole from the Company, which makes it difficult for the Company to pay me and makes it difficult for me to put food on my table. So why is a thief any different from a murderer? The thieves of Enron and Nortel should be put into the electric chair. Because of Enron, one of the Clients we have owes the Company I work for a lot of money (the Client was owned by Enron for a period of time and had to buy their way out). And because of the lying thieves at Nortel, my wife lost her job during the first round of lay-offs a few years ago.

Anyway, enough of my rant for now, have fun folks.

Sir Metro

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: July 3, 2006, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

"so many classes of crime"

Perhaps I am wrong, but in the bible, is it not written that "If you break one commandment, you have broken them all"?

Why must we, as a society accept the concept of varying levels of crime? Sorry, but if an embezzeler or an online theif takes money from the Company I work for, I want that person charged with attempted murder of me, my coworkers and all the associated families. Because as far as I am concerned, that person stole from the Company, which makes it difficult for the Company to pay me and makes it difficult for me to put food on my table. So why is a thief any different from a murderer? The thieves of Enron and Nortel should be put into the electric chair. Because of Enron, one of the Clients we have owes the Company I work for a lot of money (the Client was owned by Enron for a period of time and had to buy their way out). And because of the lying thieves at Nortel, my wife lost her job during the first round of lay-offs a few years ago.

Anyway, enough of my rant for now, have fun folks.

Sir Metro

No classes of crime? Oy! I hope if I get stopped for making an illegal U-turn the deputy doesn't feel that way. One day I'm baking cookies and the next I'm serving hard time. 

I won't get into any lengthy discussion here about what the Bible means or doesn't mean..just not my style. However, it also says you should pluck out your eye and cut off other body parts if they offend you.  Half the posters on LP would be in a lot of pain right now if that were taken literally. 

By saying people whose actions you personally find appalling should all be fried, you show very little compassion and forgiveness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Bible also says to forgive men when they sin against you and "your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But, if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."  I'm surprised you took that one sentence out of my post to quote, since I often say I wouldn't cry too much if violent criminals were exterminated since they are the roaches of society. However, if you are going to quote the Bible, please don't skip to a particular verse that suits your purpose. I'm not even saying I agree or disagree, but the Eye for an Eye type of retributive justice is very Old Testament. If that's your belief, then fine. So make sure the thieves you speak about never enjoy the money they stole.  But executing people who steal or embezzle is certainly not an equal punishment. However, it would be a great solution to overcrowded highways.

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: July 3, 2006, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

i disagree with all of you all...
                          Specially the comment about what's the difference between robbery & murder...

Anyways....

"....In a way, the stock market and taxes are a form of lottery..."

Amarillo/Austin
                            United States
                            Member #1424
                            April 25, 2003
                            696 Posts
                            Posted: July 9, 2006, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

A lot of people convinced of property crimes would probably benefit from

Amarillo/Austin
                              United States
                              Member #1424
                              April 25, 2003
                              696 Posts
                              Posted: July 9, 2006, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Someone convicted of a property crime may serve the general good of society by winning the lottery IF he or she manages their affairs properly.  They would have so much money they may never commit another crime.  In other words, pay them not to steal.  The state should set up an annuity for these folks so they won't spend it all at once.  Of course, the same could be said for Jack Whitaker and the rest of the winners who squandered their winnings on wine, women and song.

Most burglars steal to support a drug habit.  That is an entirely different situation.  Just send him or she $10 million worth of crack and let them have at it.

Murderers, according to friends I have in the Amarillo guard force, are some of the finest and most trustworthy people in the joint.  Their crime was often circumstantial.  I believe anyone can be a murderer under the proper circumstances.  A majority of murderers are model prisoners.

Child molestors, on the other hand, are truly mentally ill and can't be trusted with any amount of money. 

In other words, the survey is too general.  It should be determined on a case by case basis.

Orangeman                                                    Cheers