Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

convicted felons and lottery winnings

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

should a convicted felon be allowed to cash in lottery winning?

yes [ 49 ]  [64.47%]
no [ 22 ]  [28.95%]
not sure [ 5 ]  [6.58%]
Total Valid Votes [ 76 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Gainesville, Ga.
United States
Member #46036
September 2, 2006
2 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2006, 12:19 am - IP Logged

I was being serious about prisoners paying theri own way. it cost tax payers 40,000 a year to keep them in there.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2006, 1:58 am - IP Logged

So if someone is in prison for 10 years, when he gets out you expect him to owe $400,000?  What about 15 or 20 years? It's unrealistic. The most important thing someone can do is to stay straight, live a good life, and give back to the community.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2006, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I was being serious about prisoners paying theri own way. it cost tax payers 40,000 a year to keep them in there.

There are families who's head of household makes half that and is expected to pay taxes too.  If that's true maybe more criminals should be sentenced to a job rather than a prison.  Maybe prisons should be fenced in factories with barracks, then states could be build more prisons to raise money rather than starting lotteries.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2006, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

Were you being sarcastic or serious? That's all we need!  The average worker has a difficult time getting a good wage as it is with all the outsourcing at so many companies.  Then you've got entire industries, like the furniture business, that send most of the assembly jobs to China, or how about the clothing and shoe manufacturers? Then the illegal immigrants came along and accepted low wages without benefits, so the common laborer had to lower his price for jobs like home improvement, construction and the like.  Now you're suggesting we take the factory jobs out of the general population and turn them over to the prison system. Talk about a captive workplace where the employees can't grumble about work conditions, wages or benefits!  Why hire a free man who might complain in that case? 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2006, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Until 1865, a lot of Americans thought a captive none criminal and none voluntary workforce with no rights, benefits or pay was a great idea and it made some of them rich.  I was suggesting using a captive criminal voluntary workforce with rights, benefits and pay to help pay for their own up keep to save the average tax payer some money. If they did the jobs now done by low wage illegal immigrants or out sourced to poor countries, how would the average worker be worst off?  Criminals are captives with rights and benefits whether they work or not

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: September 4, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Misunderstanding.  Sorry, RJOh.

When I was growing up, I used to hear all the time that prisoners made license plates. I also see them picking up trash along the highway. So I assume many of them do these odd jobs already, yes?  It's important to make sure that state corruption doesn't allow certain busineses to take advantage of men who are incarcerated for their own profit. Maybe I watched "Cool Hand Luke" too many times or that movie where Robert Redford investigates corruption at a prison (Brubaker?) but it could happen if the jobs aren't monitored carefully. Sure it's better than sitting in a cell staring at the walls. However, if we force men & women to work without compensating them, isn't that a form of slavery? I'm not sure anyone would have the incentive to work without some kind of reward, monetary or not.

In theory, however, it's not a bad idea.

Delaware
              United States
              Member #30273
              January 14, 2006
              494 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2006, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

If you buy lottery tickets online than you would stand a chance of being a convicted felon in the corrupt state of WA. I think I'd just skip out of the US if I hit it big. It really depends on what the state or country considers a felon to be.

Before long it'll be a felony to buy a lottery ticket in another state.

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                Member #45802
                August 28, 2006
                335 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2006, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE

There, you have done it again, trying to make me think.  Your posts are great.  This one is so tough that it makes my head hurt and blood spurt out of my eyes. <G>

I suppose one could argue that when a person serves his time in prison he has satisfied his debt to society.  Therefore, he should be able to buy and collect winnings from a Lottery.  That is why I voted yes in your poll.

However, I also agree with other replies that the money should go to compensate the victims but this is assuming that compensation was part of verdict; which in most cases it is not.  Although, in the case of O J Simpson, there is an outstanding civil judgement against him.  Unfortunately, the courts do not have the integrity and muscle to make him pay what he owes.  Ron Goldman has not received a dime.

If the powers to be went after any Lottery earnings, anything gained would go to the lawyers anyway.  So all of this may be a mute point.

I guess until we get some legislation that can speak forceably to this issue, it will continue to be discussed without any real resolution.

I wish all your picks are winners and all your winners are monsters

Floridian 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4523 Posts
                  Posted: September 12, 2006, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

In spite of the overgeneralized question and the fact that its contingent on the actual guilt and crime, I do concur that if the rules of the lottery do not discriminate then why should the payor.

Stop using such ludicrious examples such as Ted Bundy or serial killers who are forbidden to make a dime off any convicted crime. They are extreme examples and are NOT allowed to purchase or lay claim thru the prison system to buy lottery tickets. Who would take them? They are serving life sentences for heavens sakes.

Read the book- "No equal justice"- it tells of cases where persons were injustly *convicted* of crimes and forced into prison life. They will forever carry the label of ex-prisoner and convict since rarely will the governor or President pardon (exonerate) them.  Despite the overturning of the conviction ruling. Go figure...

Anyhoos thats my opinion and Im sticking to it.:)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014