Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pencil and Paper Jackpot Calculations

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CountingMan.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How much time do you spend figuring up your jackpot game number selections?

15 minutes or less [ 13 ]  [29.55%]
Up to 30 minutes [ 3 ]  [6.82%]
About one hour [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Two hours [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Three or four hours [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
An entire day's work [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
Three or four days [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Other (please explain) [ 3 ]  [6.82%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
Member #4416
April 22, 2004
1075 Posts
Posted: July 28, 2006, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Since I'm not anywhere near getting ahead of the lottery right now, I have to think that I'm at least getting my money's worth in entertainment and excitement when I play the jackpot games. I really do derive a great deal of enjoyment from coming up with theories about how the numbers fall. Then I shape those theories into a workable system of play. I'm presently able to come up with my numbers using about an hour of time. When I change my system, it usually takes me as much as three or four hours to work up the numbers on the first attempt.  Then I can do them in about an hour in subsequent draws. 

I use pencil and paper methods for several reasons. First of all, I don't buy anybody's lottery software because I think my ideas are just as good as anything that anyone is selling. Secondly, I just don't have time to learn and study spreadsheets. Thirdly, I modify my methods far too often to even think about writing them into a program with my limited computer skills. And finally, I like being able to insert my human judgment about anything I spot along the way to coming up with my numbers.

I'm assuming that I'm not the only pencil and paper jackpot player here. I'd like to know just how much of an investment of time is made by other pencil and paper jackpot players. So, how much time do you spend? And why do you opt for pencil and paper methods?

Thanks,

aye'

Charlotte
    United States
    Member #3733
    February 16, 2004
    153 Posts
    Posted: July 28, 2006, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I too am a pencil and paper user, but in a different sort of way.  I mainly just look at my spreadsheets, and should I see something workable, I get a pencil and jot on my sheet.  I don't play the lottery as much as I try to figure out it's system.  I guess I don't feel comfortable yet with some of my systems.  They work might work for a couple of numbers during backtesting, but then I lose my way.  Hmmm.  I'll keep trying though.  I too find joy in just trying to figure the whole thing out.

Trying to keep a clear head  - Openminded

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: July 29, 2006, 1:09 am - IP Logged

ayenowitall, my vote was within 15 minutes or less. Once MM, PB, and/or CA SLP gives us draw results, I make my predictions for the next draw.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
        Member #4416
        April 22, 2004
        1075 Posts
        Posted: July 29, 2006, 4:06 am - IP Logged

I too am a pencil and paper user, but in a different sort of way.  I mainly just look at my spreadsheets, and should I see something workable, I get a pencil and jot on my sheet.  I don't play the lottery as much as I try to figure out it's system.  I guess I don't feel comfortable yet with some of my systems.  They work might work for a couple of numbers during backtesting, but then I lose my way.  Hmmm.  I'll keep trying though.  I too find joy in just trying to figure the whole thing out.

Trying to keep a clear head  - Openminded

I'm not sure just how much value there is in backtesting. While I wouldn't totally dismiss it, I don't think that lottery draws are predictable to the degree that backtesting will prove or disprove the value of any system. While I see the number draw methods of most jackpot games as being random, I think there are certain streaks, trends, and averages that manifest along the way. With a certain measure of luck and some insight into these phenomena, I think that most any system will yield some positive results with persistence. That might blur the line between luck and skill in predicting jackpot numbers, but as far as I'm concerned, a jackpot system only has to be exactly right one time in order to validate itself.

Having said all of that, I try not to go overboard with the amount of time I spend trying to come up with number selections. It has to be a labor of love for me. When it ceases to enjoyable and exciting for me, then I know that I've gone too far in the wrong direction. That's not a hard and fast measure of my investment of time, but it keeps me from taking lottery play too seriously, and it works about as well as any lottery prediction system that I've come up with.

aye' 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: July 29, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Years ago I started out using paper and pencil and then I decided it was easier to keep my data in a text file on my computer and print out a fresh copy when I wanted to mark on it.  Later I decided it was easier in the long run to write a couple of instructions in GWBasic and have my computer do the work and save those instructions so I could repeat the same operation in the future.  Today all those instructions have become a program and I can search or compare any of my data files in a number of ways in seconds. 

Even now before I write a new set of instructions I work them out on paper first but I review  the old instructions using Word Pad, it's now my paper and pencil.  If I want to work with a lottery I haven't tracked, I go to its website and download a text file of its drawings.  I just hope MicroSoft never comes out with an operating system that doesn't support the old MS-DOS programs and tools.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bobby623's avatar - abstract
            San Angelo, Texas
            United States
            Member #1097
            January 31, 2003
            1394 Posts
            Posted: July 29, 2006, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I use paper and pencil methods to track MM, Texas Lotto, Texas Two-Step and Texas Cash 5. The many charts I use for my 'organized guesswork' methods have to be updated after each drawing to be useful. I rely mainly on 'gaps' and 'skips' for predictions. This demands the charts be current and accurate.

I would much rather spend the time to be sort of intimately involved with the numbers by logging them myself. It's surprising what one can see when logging data from drawing to drawing. Trying to analyze a column of numbers from a printout is a waste of time, for my methods.

I use to use computer programs, but gave it up. I just never developed the mental skills to examine massive computer printouts and spot trends that would be useful to me.

I'm retired widower, so I have plenty of time to massage lottery numbers. Playing the lottery is entertainment for me. Using gaps and skips pays off now and then, and thats about all one can expect.

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3333 Posts
              Posted: July 29, 2006, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I use paper and pencil methods to track MM, Texas Lotto, Texas Two-Step and Texas Cash 5. The many charts I use for my 'organized guesswork' methods have to be updated after each drawing to be useful. I rely mainly on 'gaps' and 'skips' for predictions. This demands the charts be current and accurate.

I would much rather spend the time to be sort of intimately involved with the numbers by logging them myself. It's surprising what one can see when logging data from drawing to drawing. Trying to analyze a column of numbers from a printout is a waste of time, for my methods.

I use to use computer programs, but gave it up. I just never developed the mental skills to examine massive computer printouts and spot trends that would be useful to me.

I'm retired widower, so I have plenty of time to massage lottery numbers. Playing the lottery is entertainment for me. Using gaps and skips pays off now and then, and thats about all one can expect.

I also use pen and paper for games played, have done so since Georgia Lottery began. 

However do rely on Todd's Premium programmed in search functions on LP, in fact wear them out most of the time.  They're well done and definitely worth membership!!

Also use Lotto Pro 2006 as an assistant to analyze skips and gaps which can yield huge amounts of information.

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: July 29, 2006, 11:47 am - IP Logged

The real value in playing the lotteries is its entertainment and picking numbers and trying to win is for me as much fun as playing.  I'm retired also, so I also enjoy spending extra time picking my numbers.  I use a computer with a program of my own design so I have to log in the winning numbers myself after each drawing too. 

I've added features to my program that makes it easier for me to analyze column of numbers by color coding numbers of interest and I never use printouts, the number are scrolled on a eighty characters by 24 lines MS-DOS screen.  I can look at gap, skips, total hits, sums and etc. and count their occurrences for any period of time.  Anything I don't have, I can add.

The other day I even add a feature that checks the date with the day of the week, so if I see a MegaMillions drawing on any day other than Tuesday or Friday, I know something isn't right.

I guess as long as you're getting the full entertainment value of playing the lotteries it doesn't matter how you pick your numbers.

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: July 29, 2006, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure just how much value there is in backtesting. While I wouldn't totally dismiss it, I don't think that lottery draws are predictable to the degree that backtesting will prove or disprove the value of any system. While I see the number draw methods of most jackpot games as being random, I think there are certain streaks, trends, and averages that manifest along the way. With a certain measure of luck and some insight into these phenomena, I think that most any system will yield some positive results with persistence. That might blur the line between luck and skill in predicting jackpot numbers, but as far as I'm concerned, a jackpot system only has to be exactly right one time in order to validate itself.

Having said all of that, I try not to go overboard with the amount of time I spend trying to come up with number selections. It has to be a labor of love for me. When it ceases to enjoyable and exciting for me, then I know that I've gone too far in the wrong direction. That's not a hard and fast measure of my investment of time, but it keeps me from taking lottery play too seriously, and it works about as well as any lottery prediction system that I've come up with.

aye' 

FWIW, I only back-test the Red balls to 3/8/2006, and the White balls to 8/31/2005, as that is when the current ballsets were put into play.

It obviously hasn't helped a GREAT deal as I have not won yet, so 'almost' kinda like you, I don't go back any further than those dates.

Other than that, I think your philosophy mirrors mine identically.  As I have said a million times, I think SKILL will bag you 3 or even 4 of the numbers, but it seems every game there are those 1 or 2 numbers that come from nowhere.... the ones only LUCK will bring you.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: July 29, 2006, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I usually spend about 15 ot 30 mins working on my numbers for games I play like Powerball and Wild Card 2.

Dance like no one is watching.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: July 29, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Since I'm not anywhere near getting ahead of the lottery right now, I have to think that I'm at least getting my money's worth in entertainment and excitement when I play the jackpot games. I really do derive a great deal of enjoyment from coming up with theories about how the numbers fall. Then I shape those theories into a workable system of play. I'm presently able to come up with my numbers using about an hour of time. When I change my system, it usually takes me as much as three or four hours to work up the numbers on the first attempt.  Then I can do them in about an hour in subsequent draws. 

I use pencil and paper methods for several reasons. First of all, I don't buy anybody's lottery software because I think my ideas are just as good as anything that anyone is selling. Secondly, I just don't have time to learn and study spreadsheets. Thirdly, I modify my methods far too often to even think about writing them into a program with my limited computer skills. And finally, I like being able to insert my human judgment about anything I spot along the way to coming up with my numbers.

I'm assuming that I'm not the only pencil and paper jackpot player here. I'd like to know just how much of an investment of time is made by other pencil and paper jackpot players. So, how much time do you spend? And why do you opt for pencil and paper methods?

Thanks,

aye'

Lottery software is a ripoff, because the game is all luck. Systems are just a way of adding to the entertainment.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19828 Posts
                        Posted: July 29, 2006, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Lottery software is a ripoff, because the game is all luck. Systems are just a way of adding to the entertainment.

If software makes playing the lottery more entertaining, how is it a ripoff?  Most commercial lottery software have a disclaimer that states "for entertainment only".  Anyone who invest in such software with that disclaimer expecting to win a million dollars jackpot is asking to be ripped-off.  I designed my software myself and enjoyed creating it and using it, both have been a learning experience.

Evil Looking       

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: July 29, 2006, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

For me software is a search assistant, and has never been a number picker.  Good or bad I choose my own numbers.

Good luck to everyone!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5121 Posts
                            Posted: July 30, 2006, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Voted 15 or less!

Never ........................found software to be """"""GOOD""""""""

Used .........................spreadsheets to TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLAYED a lot of QUICK-PICK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

collected.....................lot of $16-$$18-$$$20.......ticketssssss!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

NY Lotto is a ripoff. Don't tell me you BOUGHT lottery software to play NY Lotto!