Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

“Money doesn’t mean a great deal to me"

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: August 11, 2006, 4:55 am - IP Logged

“I’ve always thought that the greatest joy I’d ever get from winning is being able to help other people. I’m going to be able to do a lot of good work with this. I’ve got an extended family that is very much in need.

“Money doesn’t mean a great deal to me. We’ve got enough to live on. You can go berserk after winning something like this, but I don’t think I’ll get over excited. You’ve always got to face reality and I don’t want to go off the rails.”

http://www.nswlotteries.com.au/news/index.html

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: August 11, 2006, 10:42 am - IP Logged

money means a great deal to everybody...Everybody also has their price...Like for me, I will be happy if I win georgia's Win For life, but wanting bigger jackpot than that, my question will be: What Am I going to do with all that money (excessive money)...If i could make 2,000 off of pick3 or pick4 every month indefinately, I will be happy (and there is a reason why i say that)..But everyone has their price including me...The best thing to do is to win the lottery and travel to a third world country and enjoy your money there, open up a small bussines there to supply you and make your money grow, plus the food is cheap..I think is the best  deal...I will not want to open up a bussiness here in the U.S..

"...More important than winning all the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet"..."

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: August 11, 2006, 11:03 am - IP Logged

According to government statistics I would be considered a poor person.  I don't feel poor.  I live within my means.  When you are conditioned to do that, you don't go out and buy an Escalade when you hit a jackpot.  You buy a $10,000 car that can get you to and from your lottery agent and get rid of your $150 seventeen year old car.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2006, 11:18 am - IP Logged

And more important than money is to make the money (all those millions)collected from lotteries go into higher education, that way grants & scholarships for the needy abound..HOw will you feel if everyone in your country could afford college or grad school?Yeah of course not everyone can get a job, but it will still be a triumph for your country...Also more important than money is to creat a gigantic lotto stock market but for small investment/betting that will have mass impact just the same way the stock market has impact on people and to the U.S (all of this is in third world countries, and it will be for small investment/betting not for big ones)..Also, more important than money is the creation of easy lotteries (like W V Cash25, except better payout for the 3 of 6 option and 4 of 6 option) in third world countries so that women and minority groups like native indians for example can have a shot at been rich or a shot at starting a bussineess...For example in my country of origin, with 20,000 dollars you can start a laundrymat bussiness...Specifically for third world countries and countries whose currency we compared to be really cheap...Also is the creation of easy lotteries that promise people houses in a decent or nice neighborhoods...

"..Those eyes....      ...they dissappeared.."            from movie "Predator 1"

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2006, 11:59 am - IP Logged

You could buy a or 30,000 thousand dollar car if it can give you like 50 miles per gallon..The car industry is sorry. All they trying to do is make money, they don't care about the welfare of drivers. Yeah they introduced the front and side airbags but that's it. Ask yourself something. Do you really care if your car has ABS and back sensors and all of crap they try to come up with?(ABS is important but to prove a point): NO, what you are more concern is MPG..How far you car can get you and How long the inside of it can last you and that it be friendly to the environment..That's why i feel that there is a conspiracy in the automobil industry...Good example.. They introduced the SUV, a gigantic, HEAVY machine with more horse power and some of them can go up to 29 MPG..And yet your volvo which they advertise to be "For life" doesn't give you 30 years and is not even 35MPG...I am sure they can take all that technology and power they put on the SuV and create a car that the engine, and transmission last you for ever or for 40 years...Yeah i like cars but until they can come up with a car that gives me 50 Miles Per Gallon all of them are sorry..Yeah cars do have nice outside looks, but on the iniside...And do you know where all the cars that people don't need go?talking about been friendly to the environment, they don't even recycle them....

A car is a very vital and important part of people, when you think that they spend 4 years paying for a car every 15 years, plus the house payment for 30 years plus the kinds payment for 20 years and the average life span is like 72...

In italy they need to import lof of electric, hydrogen and hybrid cars.....

What a big conspiracy...

"...For the glory of Rome..."

FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2006, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

You could buy a or 30,000 thousand dollar car if it can give you like 50 miles per gallon..The car industry is sorry. All they trying to do is make money, they don't care about the welfare of drivers. Yeah they introduced the front and side airbags but that's it. Ask yourself something. Do you really care if your car has ABS and back sensors and all of crap they try to come up with?(ABS is important but to prove a point): NO, what you are more concern is MPG..How far you car can get you and How long the inside of it can last you and that it be friendly to the environment..That's why i feel that there is a conspiracy in the automobil industry...Good example.. They introduced the SUV, a gigantic, HEAVY machine with more horse power and some of them can go up to 29 MPG..And yet your volvo which they advertise to be "For life" doesn't give you 30 years and is not even 35MPG...I am sure they can take all that technology and power they put on the SuV and create a car that the engine, and transmission last you for ever or for 40 years...Yeah i like cars but until they can come up with a car that gives me 50 Miles Per Gallon all of them are sorry..Yeah cars do have nice outside looks, but on the iniside...And do you know where all the cars that people don't need go?talking about been friendly to the environment, they don't even recycle them....

A car is a very vital and important part of people, when you think that they spend 4 years paying for a car every 15 years, plus the house payment for 30 years plus the kinds payment for 20 years and the average life span is like 72...

In italy they need to import lof of electric, hydrogen and hybrid cars.....

What a big conspiracy...

"...For the glory of Rome..."

Who in the world needs a $30,000 piece of machinery to get you from point A to point B when the same accomplishment can be done for one tenth of the cost?

In that scenario MPG doesn't mean squat because you have $27,000 to spend on gas.  I put Premium in my '89 Bonneville because of my driving conditions.  I'm not sweating the gas because I'm not sweating the vehicle payment. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2006, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

"Who in the world needs a $30,000 piece of machinery to get you from point A to point B when the same accomplishment can be done for one tenth of the cost?"

Hi, Rick.  I agree with you.  I always buy new cars every 5 or 6 years, but I agree with you anyway!! I often think about my 94 Olds and wonder why I traded it when it probably only needed new brakes. It's just the way our society thinks. Cars are status symbols. That was back in Oct 2000 and I already want another car, except I haven't got any money. I drive a 2001 Sonata, which isn't half as nice as my Olds..and everyone used to make fun of me saying the Achieva S was a piece of crap. Over 70K miles and no problems. In the first few years my $17,000 Sonata caused me more grief...power windows wouldn't go up, door locks jammed, paint peeled. At least the engine runs! (shhhhh. knock on wood! kenahora)

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: August 11, 2006, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

You DO NOT want to win Lose for Life. Unless GA adds a cash option.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2006, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I shouldn't ask, but why wouldn't a person want to win any amount of money, no matter how it's paid as long as it's m-o-n-e-y ??

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: August 11, 2006, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I would really be piss off at them if they offer a cash option...I want them to always keep it for life...They are sort of ensuring you for life..That's what most lotteries ought to do..To ask for a cash option is just greediness..By ensuring you for life, the state (big brother) is doing you a favor...Human nature is to want to spend all of it at once...Have you heard the cases where people win the lottery (millions and millions) and go broke and end up in debt...I can't remember but i heard a case on the radio where a guy won millions in the lottery and ended up broke and owing 1 million dollars...

"...Those eyes....        ...they dissappeared..."          from movie "Predator 1"

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: August 11, 2006, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

pumpi76, pumpi76...

...Yeah i like cars but until they can come up with a car that gives me 50 Miles Per Gallon all of them are sorry..

You really do have to get out more...how are you going to help your Country when you become a Dictator? 

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/gasmileage/

Best Gas Mileage
                      MakeModelEngine size (liters)CylindersTransmissionCityHwy Est. annual  fuel cost
                      HondaInsight135-speed manual6066$405
                      ToyotaPrius1.54Variable automatic6051$466

Also, I have seen articles where private owners of the Prius have gotten as much as 80mpg

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: August 11, 2006, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

I can't speak for anyone else but ........

I can't for the life of me understand why people feel that money isn't important. Please explain to me why those people are hell bent on convincing others that life is just one big happy family and love is all you need.

Here are the top 5 reasons why MONEY is important.

1. Having the means to donate some of your wealth to the needy.

2. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever worry where the next paycheck is going to come from.

3. Since taking care of the number two reason above, everything else falls into place, like GOD forbid you need expensive surgery, or basic healthcare that still costs alot. Dental work, liposuction.

4. GOD forbid I'd wish to own a very large house on the water, on Malibu beach, which had the top of the line music studio and the related equipment. And a harem of 25 year old women. Am I asking too much? 

5. Having a real good conscience in the process of money management and private use.

Sure financial gain will not fill whatever the void someone is experiencing in their lives, however, I found a direct link between well being, healthwise, and how much money I have.

I've noticed that since recently being able to save enough money to move to California, I feel much better physically. Whereas before, I was spending all the money I made during the season like a drunken sailor, feeling like I've had nothing to show for it. So broke that I owed rent money. I hated that...

It physically feels good to have money.

The amount I have is nowhere near the amount as jackpots, but just imagine having these good feelings multiplied many times over.

I created my own little quote which will hopefully be a popular cliche, and a household phrase.

If money doesen't make you happy like they say, well.......

"I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy. Atleast I'll be able to afford expensive psychiatrists".

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                          A long and winding road
                          United States
                          Member #17084
                          June 10, 2005
                          4532 Posts
                          Posted: August 11, 2006, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I beg to differ with both the nieveness displayed in the commentary by Pumpi and anyone who has been sucked into the american dream.  Money is only as important as the delusion you wish to maintain. I personally have no delusions that MONEY has yet to cure a person in the mist of a heart attack. Money will not bring your child back from the dead. Money will NOT save you a place in heaven. Money doesnt stop the hurricanes or the devistation from natural diasters. Money cannot and will never replace those moments shared by the friends, family or holidays together.

Is money of importance though? Certainly. But keep in perspective that whilst it can gain you material things, it doesnt make you any less suspectable to experiencing life in all its follies and foibles.

I agree that buying an ecomonic 10,k car and running it from point A to B in a safe manner is far better then tossing 30k to someone for the prestige. Your just lining a salesmans pocket....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: August 11, 2006, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

"Who in the world needs a $30,000 piece of machinery to get you from point A to point B when the same accomplishment can be done for one tenth of the cost?"

Hi, Rick.  I agree with you.  I always buy new cars every 5 or 6 years, but I agree with you anyway!! I often think about my 94 Olds and wonder why I traded it when it probably only needed new brakes. It's just the way our society thinks. Cars are status symbols. That was back in Oct 2000 and I already want another car, except I haven't got any money. I drive a 2001 Sonata, which isn't half as nice as my Olds..and everyone used to make fun of me saying the Achieva S was a piece of crap. Over 70K miles and no problems. In the first few years my $17,000 Sonata caused me more grief...power windows wouldn't go up, door locks jammed, paint peeled. At least the engine runs! (shhhhh. knock on wood! kenahora)

Justx,

One of my favorite cars ever was an '86 Olds Cutlass.   Had to get rid of it to buy a truck for my job.  There were many tears shed upon the trade-in and they weren't all due to the dealership's invasive cavity "search".

But that's the nice thing about getting older.  You get to a point where you don't really give a damn about what's on top of the wheels...if it rolls without your feet propelling it, it's a good thing.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: August 11, 2006, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I beg to differ with both the nieveness displayed in the commentary by Pumpi and anyone who has been sucked into the american dream.  Money is only as important as the delusion you wish to maintain. I personally have no delusions that MONEY has yet to cure a person in the mist of a heart attack. Money will not bring your child back from the dead. Money will NOT save you a place in heaven. Money doesnt stop the hurricanes or the devistation from natural diasters. Money cannot and will never replace those moments shared by the friends, family or holidays together.

Is money of importance though? Certainly. But keep in perspective that whilst it can gain you material things, it doesnt make you any less suspectable to experiencing life in all its follies and foibles.

I agree that buying an ecomonic 10,k car and running it from point A to B in a safe manner is far better then tossing 30k to someone for the prestige. Your just lining a salesmans pocket....

I personally have no delusions that MONEY has yet to cure a person in the mist of a heart attack.

Sure it's no guarantee to save a life, but guess what, my blood pressure would be normal when I received the bill for the hospital stay and everything else associated with it. Not to mention, I'd be able to choose the most experienced doctors with just one phone call, with priority. The imagination is only limited by how much money you have. It's a material world. Period. Sure everyone will bite it someday, but if I have the capabilty and resources to prolong that moment, I'll do it.

Money will not bring your child back from the dead.

I don't think anyone expects to bring anyone back from the dead, whether they are rich or poor. That's just a given.

Money doesnt stop the hurricanes or the devistation from natural diasters.

But if you had lots of money, you wouldn't be living in those hurricane proned places to begin with. If I had millions, do you think I'd be living in tornado alley? Not.......LOL

Money cannot and will never replace those moments shared by the friends, family or holidays together.

Who says you can't have both?

No one is saying that life's problems will be completely wiped out if someone has alot of money, but it can surely help diffuse, or lessen the impact of what can be thrown in one's way during the trip. And it doesen't neccessarily mean material things. Just financial peace of mind.

It doesen't solve, but it does help.

Great thread....