Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Tell People You Play?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by tntea.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
Michigan
United States
Member #22395
September 24, 2005
1583 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Interesting question.....I don't talk lottery much but I can't think of anyone that I mentioned it to where I got a negative reaction.

I don't think any of the conversations ever involved how much I would give someone, should I win big.  Most of the conversations involved the jackpot games.  No one I know plays pick3/pick4.

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Detroit, MI
    United States
    Member #43946
    July 27, 2006
    365 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

My family, especially my dad are in this game moderately to heavily. Not compulsive gambles, very strategic playing. when I tell very few trusted friends of what i do on the side they either

A. Don't really know what the lottery is

B. Only see it as people who hit are the lucky ones

C. Laugh when I tell them I actually foresee drawings be4 they happen

So lol, I don't tell people to expect them to be supportive or happy for me...really makes for intresting conversation sometimes!

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

Amarillo/Austin
      United States
      Member #1424
      April 25, 2003
      696 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I have found that you can't win by telling people about your lottery play.  Either they think you are a nut or they want you to play the lottery for them and split the winnings.  Really interesting.  Keep your activities to yourself.

Orangeman                        Disapprove

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
        Member #91
        January 19, 2002
        11936 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I dont discuss it much anymore, I used to but it was kind of that "sucker born every minute" look that I got.  At the same time those were the same people that would ask what there cut would be if I did win.......

An interesting question would be "How many people know that you are a member of the LP?" 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

Funny you mention this.

I am job hunting, and on my website I had a link to my lottery numerical theories, but since part of finding a job also means showing folks

the kind of work I do, I have my website URL on my resume'.

Anyway, I yanked the lottery link off my home page so nobody can see it, but you can still get to it - if you know the exact URL.

People are funny - they will pitch in a whole $1 when the pot gets over 200 million, but if it's under that, they look at you like scum if they know you play it.   I look at it this way: if I win 300 million or 15 million, I'm still set for life. 

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Hi, I am new here and I live in North Carolina. My family knows I play and some friends. My husband is the "Doubting Thomas" when it comes to playing the lottery. Now he does talk about what he would do if he won the lottery and all that......but has only played it twice. I am the one who plays and I have only missed 2 games since it started here. Ihave lost money true......but I have won some too. The most I won at 1 time so far was $500 on the Jun 28th draw (3 white balls/PB and power play X5) I am pretty good at guessing the PB'S and I pick my own numbers no quick picks. I just wish I was as good at picking the white balls AND PB on 1 line instead of having them scattered on the ticket LOL. I won $ 35 this past drawing(2 WB/PB X 5) WITH THE INVEST OF $10 BUCKS..NOT TOO BAD. I just got this "feeling" I am fixing too hit something big and I keep telling my husband "ya know you got to be in it to win it" he just thinks I'm crazy. I will keep all of ya posted!!!! Party

Feel totally free to give us tips on your PB picks, mine are terrible nowadays, but like you, (and I bet most folks on here), at one point I was on one heckuva hot streak.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

My family knows I play, but that's about it. I don't really discuss lottery topics outside this board. Because really, outside of Lottery Post nobody around me cares. Plus, I have no reason to really bring it up.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2006, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

My family knows I play, but that's about it. I don't really discuss lottery topics outside this board. Because really, outside of Lottery Post nobody around me cares. Plus, I have no reason to really bring it up.

That, and it's bad luck.

Ever since I started posting here my luck has turned to s---, and then I stopped posting my numbers here, and it's turned around a little bit.

Superstitions, I guess.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                  Washington State
                  United States
                  Member #33973
                  February 26, 2006
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2006, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm a closet player.  Some of my relatives consider all gambling to be evil and I fully expect that most of my friends would assume the "sucker born every minute" position if they knew.  I honestly don't know one other person who plays, so I just keep quiet about it.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2006, 12:41 am - IP Logged

That, and it's bad luck.

Ever since I started posting here my luck has turned to s---, and then I stopped posting my numbers here, and it's turned around a little bit.

Superstitions, I guess.

Well for me I loose irregardless of whether I tell people I purchased tickets or not.

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
                      Alaska
                      United States
                      Member #16217
                      May 27, 2005
                      287 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2006, 1:58 am - IP Logged

*sigh* I live in a non lottery state now. But when I did live in a lottery state most of my family and friends knew I played and didn't say too much one way or the other really.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2006, 4:28 am - IP Logged

hey there atlas!

hope you've been doing well.long time no see.you can play the lottery online pick 3 and pick 4 at betslips.com.they have an excellent reputation and todd advertise them here on the site.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #22395
                          September 24, 2005
                          1583 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2006, 6:45 am - IP Logged

Well for me I loose irregardless of whether I tell people I purchased tickets or not.

One misplaced word can change everything.  Hope you meant lose and not loose

Wink

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                            FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2006, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I used to go to a bar for lunch and to watch the midday drawing.  Many people there would have the same attitude...("but what have you spent this year?"...the doubting Thomases).

They all shut up when they saw me go next door to cash my ticket  and return with $290 cash to buy them all drinks on many occasions.

Now when I see them, the first question is "How's the lottery treating you lately?"

"Lousy," I reply.  "Can you buy me a drink?" 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: August 17, 2006, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I used to go to a bar for lunch and to watch the midday drawing.  Many people there would have the same attitude...("but what have you spent this year?"...the doubting Thomases).

They all shut up when they saw me go next door to cash my ticket  and return with $290 cash to buy them all drinks on many occasions.

Now when I see them, the first question is "How's the lottery treating you lately?"

"Lousy," I reply.  "Can you buy me a drink?" 

LOL  Great story, Rick!