Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

pick3stats help

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by eonmacbz.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
FEMA Region V Camp #21
United States
Member #520
July 27, 2002
5699 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2006, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

rick - and the new one he tried got locked???

No Em, we're talking on it.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Belgium
    Member #2203
    August 31, 2003
    107 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2006, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I just thought I'd post a comment here, and then I'll leave this thread up to the rest of you.  Every time I mention a peep on the forums these days a small segment of the membership takes a hyper fit, so I'll try to keep my statements factual, and I will not be responding to any emotional hyperbole.

1. I was a supporter of the JavaScript web page that Stephan put together, and in fact when he posted a link to it I had no problems with keeping the link, and I posted some very positive comments about his JavaScript programming skills.  The look and feel of the web page reminded me of a commercial software application, so I always take an extra look to be sure someone is not spamming the boards, but after inspecting the site everything was free to all, like a hobbyist's site would be, so I just stayed out of the picture.  (In case anyone reading this does not understand the "linking" thing, please click "Rules" to the left.)
    2. As the thread grew longer, I was a avid reader of it.  Everything still OK.
    3. I began to see references to a "private" version of the tool that ordinary users did not have access to, so I sent Stephan a PM asking him about it.
    4. Stephan replied that there was indeed a private version, and that he was going to be adding a commercial version of the software with features that only a paying member of the site would have access to.
    5. I explained to Stephan that Lottery Post cannot be used to build a member base for commercial applications, unless the commercial developer pays for advertising.  At that point it occurred to me, and was confirmed by Stephan in not so many words, that the reason for releasing the free version of his JavaScript page was to develop a following of people there so that he could then turn those people into paying subscribers. 
    6. That is certainly his right, but I explained that it is not his right to use Lottery Post in that manner.  Therefore, I informed him that he could not post additional links to his site.
    7. Stephan must look upon my not allowing additional links as some kind of affront.  I have not dis-allowed discussion about his web page, I have only dis-allowed future links to the web page, just like I dis-allow links to any commercial application.  This is exactly the same chain of events that led Mike K to leave Lottery Post.  He refused to post anything here unless he could also post a link.
    8. Based on the confusing signals I am getting from Stephan, I am leaving the other post locked, and anyone is free to start another thread, so long as it is not a blatant advertisement with stuff like "spectacular" in the title.  This is the same thing that would happen if someone posted a topic titled, "Incredible and Spectacular Gail Howard System!"  If "Gail Howard" were a free hobbyist site, I guess I could live with the title.  But because "Gail Howard" is a commercial web site, that is a marketing slogan, and considered advertising.

I have done my best to explain clearly my role, what happened, and what is acceptable.  I will answer reasonable questions and issues.  Anger and vitriol will be ignored.

Point 1 : I agree 100%

Point 2 : OK

Point 3 : True. I released a private version (password protected) to all thread-users for free : see anouncement in the thread : http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/1370489 . I also responded to Todd's wories via PM. Here's the message :

"I have provided a free tool with a very shallow learning curve. I am giving away (for free) an updated version of my tool to anyone who joins the discussion. That upgraded version has a steeper learning curve, but not for those who already got used to the basic version. I have also invited "lurkers" to join lotterypost. If they join the discussion, they get the updated version for free as well. I am not selling the "updated version". If you want access to it, please let me know." I further explained to Todd my future plans : "Maybe I'll add some ads in the future, maybe not. Maybe I add something for sale, maybe not."

Todd made clear to me that he didn't like me building up a membership-list, even when that membership would be free. I understood his point for the full 100% and decided to release the updated version to anyone  visting lotterypost. So I announced the release on this page : http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/137048/28 . Later in the thread, I gave away yet another free upgrade (the 3rd one : http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/137048/36 ).

Point 4, 5 and 6 : I understand that Todd has to deal with many issues on LP.  I understand that. But his recollection of what I mailed exactly to him was not exactly that... Here's my PM to Todd : "I have a question Todd. I haven't decided anything yet, but if (only if) I would release a "commercial upgrade" of pick3stats , then how can we come up with a good compromise on this."  So I understood Todd quite clearly (paying for advertising was acceptable for me if - and only if - I would decide to add some commercial content). Except for the fact that Todd refused instantly. He also explained to me that I was not allowed to post links to a "free portion" of a web site if the other part of the site contains paid content/functionality and that he was sorry to say that there is really nothing to negotiate or work out. I accepted that. My site is still 100 % free today.

Point 7. That's very clear. But like I said, my site is still 100% free. And what's free today will remain free.

Point 8. I am a bit surprised that you didn't told me earlier. At least I know the reason now why the thread has been blocked. 

Todd, I understand how difficult it is to run your site. I also understand that someone needs to draw a line somewhere. But I don't believe I have crossed that line. I tried my very best to share something for free here. I think I did. But I am going to do my own thing now. I wish you all the best with your site.

Good luck,

Stefan

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23275 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2006, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Stefan,

All the best to you too.  I hope you are successful in your ventures.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

arizona
        United States
        Member #36402
        April 1, 2006
        5 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2006, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

stefan

I am disappointed that you have decided to leave.

I for one as well as so many others have leaned so much from you and from Rickg. I am makeing copies of your threads and explainations and utilizing all for the understanding of the Pick3stats.com and it's potential.

May I EM you from time to time on any guidence you can provide on Pick3stats.com?

We will miss you

eonmacbz